U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 AM

435 posts, read 180,983 times

Advertisements

The OP didn’t ask if she could get 16 varieties of Kumquats. She asked if she could get plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. The answer is yes.
For the posters who said local in season items are corn or peaches, you need to get out more. We recently had melons, Rainer cherries, lavender, just to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 AM

21,142 posts, read 22,127,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't think our produce selection year round can compare to California. We do have a couple of Sprouts mostly in the NE part of town, and plenty of other options for grocery stores. But fruit etc. here is not the same as CA, imho. Farmers Markets don't start in earnest until I think nearly the end of June and finish up by early October at the latest. Our growing season is shorter here. We do have less variety, a lot of our stuff doesn't taste as good imho, particularly in winter. There are vegans here, but your options will be more limited and perhaps not as tasty and fresh in some cases. Some stuff is more expensive than in CA. We do have a few local specialties like Rocky Ford Melons and Palisade Peaches.
Just...no

https://www.sprouts.com/stores/co/

Farmer's market in my area begins Mother's Day weekend (mid May)

Is Colorado California? No. But it's also not a vast desert when it comes to fresh produce.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM

435 posts, read 180,983 times
Here's a cool tool. You put in your zip code and it will tell you what is in season locally.

https://whatsinseasonapp.com/location

Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,689,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just...no

https://www.sprouts.com/stores/co/

Farmer's market in my area begins Mother's Day weekend (mid May)
The Farmer's Market season in Colorado Springs starts June. There might be a few stands prior to then, but most do not begin until June here. The first few weeks pickings are really slim and then the markets pick up for real mid-late June. 2018 Colorado Springs Farmers Market Schedule

Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM

28 posts, read 10,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The OP didnít ask if she could get 16 varieties of Kumquats. She asked if she could get plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. The answer is yes.
For the posters who said local in season items are corn or peaches, you need to get out more. We recently had melons, Rainer cherries, lavender, just to name a few.
I'm actually male.

I don't necessarily need to have a comprehensive variety within each category of fruit or vegetable, but I would like to know that I can get a diverse assortment of fruits and vegetables to prepare and consume. If it helps to better address my post, on a daily basis, I consume much of the following produce:

- red onions
- tomatoes (especially heirloom tomatoes)
- red bell peppers
- cucumbers
- zucchini squash
- garlic
- lemons
- lacinato kale
- Swiss Chard
- avocados
- bananas
- oranges
- apples
- pears
- peaches
- tangelos
- persimmons (even in California these have a very short season)
- purple Okinawan sweet potatoes

Again, these are the foods I purchase, prepare, and consume on a regular basis, with some exceptions (i.e. persimmons, heirloom tomatoes, tangelos - due to seasonal availability). I also enjoy strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, but don't regularly buy them, and sometimes opt for frozen.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,127,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The Farmer's Market season in Colorado Springs starts June. There might be a few stands prior to then, but most do not begin until June here. The first few weeks pickings are really slim and then the markets pick up for real mid-late June. 2018 Colorado Springs Farmers Market Schedule
You're post appeared to speak for Colorado not Colorado Springs. I may have missed if the OP was asking about CS. I understood the question to be about the state in general.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:31 PM

28 posts, read 10,054 times
Quote:
You're post appeared to speak for Colorado not Colorado Springs. I may have missed if the OP was asking about CS. I understood the question to be about the state in general.
Indeed, my question is about Colorado as a whole, not necessarily any particular region or area.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM

3,101 posts, read 1,470,001 times
I'm not a huge fan of Sprouts. It seems their produce often isn't any better than Kings Soopers and the stores near me are poorly managed, but I can usually find what I want there.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:43 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,689,931 times
Quote:
Since OP did not specify what part of the state, I was just providing perspective about my particular area - if one is not in Denver area the options may be quite different than in the Denver Metro, for example, in this could be useful information to have. Some parts of the state have nothing like a Sprouts at all.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 PM

181 posts, read 175,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Sprouts. It seems their produce often isn't any better than Kings Soopers and the stores near me are poorly managed, but I can usually find what I want there.
This is so true. I don't understand the Denver obsession with Sprouts. I rarely have seen anything of quality there and stopped going. They are very poorly managed with lines and more lines. So I guess they have tricked plenty of people into thinking they are a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or