Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 PM

49 posts, read 244,039 times

Advertisements

Another CA transplant......what is the wind tunnel I read in areas of Walsenburg? Southern CO towns such as Trinidad? What suggestions can anyone recommend to view parcels with wooded acreage w/o realtors-brokers initially. Looking to view areas of interest then concentrate on selected area and entertain discussion w realtor/broker. any suggestions? Newspapers? Planning to visit area in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,387,272 times
Most any place on the Eastern Slope of the Rockies can be prone to wind at certain times. High pressure systems often set up on the Western side of the Rockies around the Great Basin. If there is lower pressure to the east, air flows there to equalize the pressure. As it "falls down" the eastern slopes the Rockies it warms and gathers speed. Often, this welcomed, especially in the winter. It's the "Chinook," the snow-eater. Depending on locale, the wind can be funnelled down mountain canyons, gaining speeds to hurricane force sometimes. Boulder and Golden, for example, both being at the mouth of canyons, frequently get these winds--usually in late winter and spring.

The Walsenburg/Trinidad area is no exception to this, though I don't think that it is particularly more wind-prone than other areas along the Eastern Slope.

I would strongly advise you to visit the area of Trinidad and Walsenburg before you make a decision. Trinidad and Walsenburg are both heavily Hispanic areas and are relatively impoverished. I don't say this as a negative comment--I have spent considerable time all over southern and south-central Colorado and northern New Mexico and I love some of the communities there. It just isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM

431 posts, read 2,787,899 times
I am more central in Co. and am backed up against the mts. We get very little wind but whenever you get out just a little ways from them, you get some wind. 15 miles depending on terrain. Wooded area, you got to get into or close to the mountains or along water. We are simi arrid. The prairies do not have wooded areas. The 2 you speak are not wooded. I agree with the other poster. Take a look.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 PM

17,921 posts, read 27,317,512 times
Wow! You ought to replace that "ThunderBumper" blonde-haired fairy dude on channel 5!

How do you follow that act up? Although I'm no Meterologist I do have a little experience in the area.

There are highway signs up north of Walsenburg that indicate high wind at times. You can typically expect high winds here almost year round as well as areas between Longmont to Ft Collins and along HW 93 from ... That's right, Golden to Boulder.

The areas North and West of Walsenburg can get very windy and it seems like it would be a great place for wind generators (if it could be done somewhat inconspicuous- Yeah right; we're gonna hide 250 ft towers here) and that may be in the works soon.

Trinidad had subdivisions of about 35 acres for sale and people could put a cabin or a house on them and have wild Turkey on their property... I think this was back in the early 90's and I don't know what's become of that since. It would be interesting to find out.

Southern Colorado does have a fair representation of Hispanic people and back in the day this used to be called Mexico. This is not the cultural mecca that New York City is for sure. Jobs are sparse. Incomes are perhaps below the national average. I would liken Walsenburg to an old mining town that now relys heavily on farming, ranching, the Prison, and maybe -yes, tourism as it could be an outdoorsman's dream. I drove through Trinidad the other day and I've always been impressed by the historic nature of that town.

There's a pretty good description of Trinidad right here from this very website at http://www.city-data.com/city/Trinidad-Colorado.html and it describes the town as having a mean household income of about 27k back in 2005 or so... So you could go there and buy a mansion for like 200K, right? If you could predict where those wind generators are going up and pry that land from a farmer's hands, you've got a MINT in Cayshhhhhhhhh!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,387,272 times
McGowdog,

I now live in SE Wyoming. That will re-define anyone's definition of wind. (High wind watch issued for tomorrow for 60+ mph.) This one of those places very prone to high winds. Overturned semi's on the highways are not unusual up here at all. Needless to say, wind generators are popular here, though there are areas where the wind blows TOO hard to for them to be installed.

Many years ago, I spent some time in Golden, CO. Great town, but when they got wind--THEY GOT WIND. I personally saw gust of over 100 mph there. Same with Boulder, and Hwy. 93 between the two has legendary winds.

In many ways, the climatic dividing line between the central Rockies and southern Rockies lies on an east-west line running through the Palmer Divide. North of there is more central Rockies (less rain in summer, more rain in spring). South of there is more southern Rockies (less rain in spring, more in later summer). I personally prefer the latter.

About the "culture": The work I did in Colorado years back allowed me to know people in just about every county in the state and over the years I visited just about every county in the state--usually mulitple times. So, I think I know Colorado pretty well. That said, I don't profess to know everything about every community. I love the "feel" and culture of much of southern Colorado. It is my favorite part of the state.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:43 PM

17,921 posts, read 27,317,512 times
Good point. I was impressed with your knowledge of the complicated weather patterns.

You can't know what motivates a Californian who wants to check out southern Colorado. They may be filthy rich and be able to take advantage of what the area has to offer. They also may be hesitant to a stagnant economy.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,102,862 times
My parents used to live in Walsenburg- the main sources of income come from the schools, prison, and the hospital. It is a real desolate area- think scrub brush/tumbleweeds. It seemed like everytime I came down, the winds were always blowing. Frequently tractor trailers would blow over (according to my parents- I never saw it happen though). The more wooded areas in that area would be La Veta (small town), & the Lake Isabel area. I am anxious to hear your reply after you visit the area! Keep posting.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:42 AM

476 posts, read 2,312,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Most any place on the Eastern Slope of the Rockies can be prone to wind at certain times. High pressure systems often set up on the Western side of the Rockies around the Great Basin. If there is lower pressure to the east, air flows there to equalize the pressure. As it "falls down" the eastern slopes the Rockies it warms and gathers speed. Often, this welcomed, especially in the winter. It's the "Chinook," the snow-eater. Depending on locale, the wind can be funnelled down mountain canyons, gaining speeds to hurricane force sometimes. Boulder and Golden, for example, both being at the mouth of canyons, frequently get these winds--usually in late winter and spring.

The Walsenburg/Trinidad area is no exception to this, though I don't think that it is particularly more wind-prone than other areas along the Eastern Slope.

I would strongly advise you to visit the area of Trinidad and Walsenburg before you make a decision. Trinidad and Walsenburg are both heavily Hispanic areas and are relatively impoverished. I don't say this as a negative comment--I have spent considerable time all over southern and south-central Colorado and northern New Mexico and I love some of the communities there. It just isn't everybody's cup of tea.
I know of no greater place for wind then Wyoming where you live Jazzlover. Wind in Colorado is nothing compared to the winds in Wyoming. The flat far eastern part of Colorado gets alot of wind and whenever a front comes through Colorado, just like anywhere else, it blows and it goes away. Californina isnt the paradise that it is frequently thought either. My sister lived there for several years in the LA area and they get lots of wind too called Santa Ana winds and it is bad, not to mention morning fog by the marine layer, especially near the coast, along with the fires, smog and landslides, it isnt total paradise out there either.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:14 PM

291 posts, read 2,070,991 times
I moved to Colorado during the 80's boom to find a business to buy & expand along the I-25 corridor. I found one available in Walsenburg and traveled down. What a shock. Walsenburg has not enjoyed the prosperity of the rest of the state. There are much better towns, La Veta among them. The wind isn't a factor where the towns are in that area.

I would look at Raton (NM), La Veta, Rye/Colorado City, or even Pueblo before Walsenburg. Trinidad is a little more historic and slightly more prosperous, they even have a Wal-Mart, but it's still economically-challenged. People don't bother you too much, so it has become the home of the world's most prolific center for transexual operations.

If that's your area of interest, get the local papers from the area, especially the Saturday & Sunday editions. Even the Denver & Colorado Springs papers have ads for just the kind of property you're looking for. The real estate ads are good, but they will lead you to each realtor's online resources as well.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:04 PM

49 posts, read 244,039 times
Great posts, thank you for the information. Wind is a concern as ILUVNM mentioned, we too get our share of the wind.
BillRadio, you have my attention with your comment. I will also need to acquire the ads to get some insight on some parcels within that area. I'm concerned about the economically challenged aspect of the area though. This info gives me a locals perspective which is appreciative.
I will be visiting the area soon and I'll post my observations. I imagine along with further questions. Just curious if most current residents are natives of Colorado? If not, what were your desires to relocate to Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado