U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:44 AM

14 posts, read 6,587 times

Advertisements

I think it would be nice to have more options for people at different price points, particularly lower price points, and this could be one way to do it that would appeal to some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 AM

12,857 posts, read 24,529,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I trust you ended up with a REAL house for a fraction the cost of a tiny home. (At least that is what I have seen... Tiny homes with HUGE prices (far more than conventional homes 2x the size).

...a Tiny Home... an $3500 used RV should suffice! (and have more features / benefit / resale)
Well,building new on an unimproved lot was not *cheaper* than the costly tiny homes. Per square foot, most likely. I had no choice about the many town requirements, and that was fine with me.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,870 posts, read 37,577,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well,building new on an unimproved lot was not *cheaper* than the costly tiny homes. Per square foot, most likely. I had no choice about the many town requirements, and that was fine with me.
yes... residential requires more than an outhouse...

Since I build rural... I need a Driveway ($10k), Septic ($10k) Well ($20k), and locally Impact Fees ($50k), + I must get federal, state, & county approval (Federal Scenic Area). That used to be $0.26 stamp, but is now $26k (for the approval to APPLY for permits + permit costs).

I was fortunate that my kid's homes ended up being under $58 / SF including their 5+ acre View lots and septic / well / grading.

Tiny homes can exceed $300/ sf (no land)

Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 AM

4,641 posts, read 9,139,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Did I read a previous post correctly? These WeeCasas do not have individual bathrooms, but a separate communal bathroom facility??

Sorry, but the question begs itself: you mean to tell me one cannot wee in a WeeCasa??

They've inadvertently ruled out most older visitors by that decision. No one likes to have to get up, put on something decent, and trek across a campground in the middle of the night to use the facilities. Been there, done that, in my younger years, and it wasn't a good thing then. It certainly wouldn't be any better now.
No, that's not correct. I went to the WeeCasa website and looked at the interiors of their many models. They all had kitchens and bathrooms.

It was fun looking at the pictures. Someone was very creative. But, man, that tiny tiny space is not for me. Even if I were single.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:23 PM

28 posts, read 9,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Did I read a previous post correctly? These WeeCasas do not have individual bathrooms, but a separate communal bathroom facility??

Sorry, but the question begs itself: you mean to tell me one cannot wee in a WeeCasa??

They've inadvertently ruled out most older visitors by that decision. No one likes to have to get up, put on something decent, and trek across a campground in the middle of the night to use the facilities. Been there, done that, in my younger years, and it wasn't a good thing then. It certainly wouldn't be any better now.
LOL....I hear ya there, would def want private wee facilities ...lol..

Old 08-01-2018, 11:29 AM

42 posts, read 9,833 times
Quote:

My next one is gonna be "rammed earth", so the costs will be minimal, but the effort HIGH! (And VERY hard to transport! )
Get Happiness
[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=rammed+earth+homes&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s a=
Read “The Rammed Earth House” by Easton

Buy a pneumatic tamper and do a small shed as a test project. It’s a brutal amount of work. Check out foamcrete as a much easier alternative. Plus you could make a tiny house out of foamcrete.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:44 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,474,534 times
Quote:
I trust you ended up with a REAL house for a fraction the cost of a tiny home. (At least that is what I have seen... Tiny homes with HUGE prices (far more than conventional homes 2x the size).
I agree. The prices ( on HGTV ) seem ABSURD to me, and the proposed rental fees for the Salida project are not significantly lower than current rental prices for homes with alot more space. Still price gouging IMO! Nonetheless, I think it is a step in the right direction.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:11 AM

2,779 posts, read 3,479,637 times
According to a recent article, the first tiny homes for that Salida project are supposed to be finished this fall but none of them have been finished or rented yet, 20 months after the above article. Sprout took and apparently prioritized other work in state and Austin Texas where they had a buyer to deliver to. Development involves more investment, work, risk.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:53 AM

2,779 posts, read 3,479,637 times
Tiny homes can potentially fill several niches. Vacation rentals, second homes, custom homes to fit personal style / show off, or hopefully lower cost housing (private or public). They try to get away the mobile home baggage. But neighbors still often object. The hope is that they are treated as standard housing assets. Whether they will in long run will depend a lot on build quality / longevity. In short run prices might appreciate in some markets but probably less than conventional.

I have some interest in them but am cautious. Several people I know that have built or bought them have sold them or are trying to. Personal reasons and implementation issues.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 PM

4,641 posts, read 9,139,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

I have some interest in them but am cautious. Several people I know that have built or bought them have sold them or are trying to. Personal reasons and implementation issues.
Which gets back to what Stealth Rabbit was talking about -- the "implementation" part. In order to live in any kind of home (tiny home, mobile home, etc.), local jurisdictions usually require that the home be on a permanent foundation and that it be hooked up to water and sewer. And most jurisdictions and HOAs have minimum size requirements for dwellings, although this seems to be changing to allow for tiny homes.

Although HGTV makes it look easy, it really isn't. People can't just park their tiny home on wheels anyplace they want to and hope to stay in it for weeks or months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or