U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:53 PM

2,780 posts, read 3,479,637 times

Advertisements

One could potentially have a tiny house and some combination of a porch, deck, garage, barn and / or shed. All done within law and decent looking. Or maybe even a second tiny space modular connected to the other one. Whether there is enough rationale for doing this multi-component home space would take a further look. (I once saw a designer home built of 4 or more connected rail containers with a beautiful center, private, shaded by awning courtyard. Presumably legal for that location.)

I do think folks need to decide if they want a permanent dwelling or not. If you plan to move around, get something designed for that.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-06-2018 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 04:38 PM

Stealth Rabbit: I was fortunate that my kid's homes ended up being under $58 / SF including their 5+ acre View lots and septic / well / grading.

Out of curiosity, how long ago was this done and was the low per SF cost driven in large measure by using little to no paid outside labor?Did you use a lot of second hand materials?

Would it correct to assume that the kid homes at $58 per SF all included were not built in a spot with $50k in impact fees? That would be big chunk of the total cost unless these homes were quite big.

Did you avoid some, most or all of the other infrastructure costs for the kids houses (by using existing) that you itemized for current / new builds?

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-06-2018 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 05:13 PM

4,117 posts, read 2,082,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
One could potentially have a tiny house and some combination of a porch, deck, garage, barn and / or shed. All done within law and decent looking. Or maybe even a second tiny space modular connected to the other one. Whether there is enough rationale for doing this multi-component home space would take a further look. (I once saw a designer home built of 4 or more connected rail containers with a beautiful center, private, shaded by awning courtyard. Presumably legal for that location.)

I do think folks need to decide if they want a permanent dwelling or not. If you plan to move around, get something designed for that.
I read an article about four couples, all old friends who already spent their vacations together. They decided their retirement home would be together. They bought land in the desired spot, hired an architect, and their homes are four 400-something square feet cabins, each basically a studio bedroom-living room with a bathroom. The buildings are not connected but are a short stroll from each other. They share a larger building that contains a large, pro-type kitchen, dining and entertaining area, and bathroom. The large bldg can also serve as guest quarters. It is sort of a variation on camping cabins with a communal mess hall.

I thought, What A Great Idea. Can I modify the idea? Well, my husband wasn’t wild about having two such tiny homes plus a third, larger building. But it might work for someone else.

The caveat, as always, concerns resale value, and what happens when one unit of a family-like ensemble breaks away.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM

I know of a large co-op fairly similar to this (though with basic kitchens for private cooking for most meals) and smaller could be done too. At least some places and with the right lawyering.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:06 AM

4,117 posts, read 2,082,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I know of a large co-op fairly similar to this (though with basic kitchens for private cooking for most meals) and smaller could be done too. At least some places and with the right lawyering.
A cohousing villa of 28 units was built in our previous town, each unit being either 1- or 2-bedroom regular but small homes.

But in addition to not being tiny homes, each unit’s owner (vetted for fitness to a hive mentality, one might uncharitably say) bought into a system. While that would be necessary with so many inhabitants, it is also guaranteed that there would be serious disagreements down the line—hence the need for written, defined rules. If it is all touchy-feely “no rules, just be nice”, the aggressive ones dominate. Oh, they think they handpick for the right people, but I saw how that town operated...

I do hope this villa will succeed in the long term because it is ONE option that some people would like.

But the other example I was thinking of based itself upon a very much smaller, long-established set of friends. And even then, the question is how well does the communal weekend/vacation concept transfer to permanent residence? From the article, I gathered that the people had not yet retired. When I looked the place up, it was renting out as Air BnB. Whether under original ownership decision or not, I don’t know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or