U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM

647 posts, read 340,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Many insurance companies in Colorado are now changing the standard $1K deductible for hail damage to a deductible that is now 2% of the house value.

So on a house worth $500K the $1K deductible grows to $10K.

They sneak this in upon renewal. So make sure you read the fine print upon renewal.
An important point. I was unaware until I was reading through my policy and saw a hail damage deductible of about 3%. I was able to lower it for a small increase in cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:52 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,465,656 times
I got hit a few times yesterday attempting to move some flower pots -- have bruises on my back -- that hail was no joke not to mention more cars on my street getting windshields knocked out.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-07-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM

139 posts, read 84,512 times
That could explain why all the houses here have 3-car garages as standard. A plywood garage is cheap compared to a car getting demolished. Scary to think what it be like to get caught in open, not like there are trees you stand next to.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
That could explain why all the houses here have 3-car garages as standard. A plywood garage is cheap compared to a car getting demolished. Scary to think what it be like to get caught in open, not like there are trees you stand next to.
Our house in COLO SPGS had a 3-car garage, standard in our community, and our HOA required cars be off the street and preferably in a garage with the doors closed (unless one was working in there). Idea was to limit theft, as well as hail damage. We weren't gated and had at least two pickup trucks stolen, one about 8AM out of a garage that was left open when one spouse went to work and forgot to close the garage. We had other cars and trucks that were left overnight in driveways and were broken into.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:42 AM

4,325 posts, read 4,350,986 times
Pictures of the hailstones and the damage done

https://gazette.com/news/list-size-o...2fea2992b.html

Old 08-08-2018, 08:15 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,465,656 times
I am considering investing in a new roof.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 AM

16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times
That sort of damage was sad to see. Our Grand Junction ABC affiliate is KJCT, they showed a video of the vehicle damage at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo parking lot on yesterdays telecast. Good grief! And then to hear about the animals, sad.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-09-2018 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Yes, Colorado Hail can be a killer.

I remember very well a small child and a few horses killed in Ft Collins Hail storm 1979.
1979 — July 30, Hailstorm, 3-month-old girl hit in head, dies Aug 7, Fort Collins, CO– 1 – Deadliest American Disasters and Large-Loss-of-Life Events

4.5" hail, went right through the roof of many homes.
https://www.9news.com/article/weathe...y/73-579168850

Our Colorado Car was quite a conversation piece when we moved to a Non- Hail location, It had a few VERY large dents (Baseball sized). Moved just in time to witness / endure a Volcano... (and <4 yrs after losing several friends in the Colorado Big T Flood of 1976.) During Elementary school (~1960's), our neighbor kids got washed away trying to save their pigs.
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...ores/87524858/

The weather is a strong force.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx2Co19 View Post
It's crazy, I was just reading about this in researching the move to Denver. I though North Texas was bad, but, it looks like the area around Denver not only leads the nation in hail storms but also tornadoes (Adams & Weld?)
The tornadoes that hit those two counties don't do nearly as much damage as they can do in Tornado Alley of Oklahoma and into Kansas. Even some southern states see their share of tornado destruction. Heck, I was in high school, living on our northeastern Indiana farm, the Palm Sunday Tornadoes hit. Family was visiting my grandma, heard about the tornado warnings and rushed home. No tornado hit us, but talk about wind. If I'd been any lighter in weight, I would have definitely been "airborne" LOL

Parts of Wyoming can be definitely hit by hail as well. We got hit twice, within a few minutes, when we were in Douglas at a Holiday Inn Express. Done some $3k damage to our Durango, but insurance covered it.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Interestingly enough, according to State Farm, CO is only third in claims for wind/hail damage. TX is number 1 and IL is number 2. The rest of of the list is a swath of the mid-Americn states; NE, OK, AR, IA, MN, and IN.

However, according to the Insurance Information Institute, the top states for damaging hail events doesn't include CO until the tenth. Those states being TX, KS, NE, MO, OK. So CO may not have as many, but we tend to have more damaging storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or