U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:42 PM

664 posts, read 651,308 times

Advertisements

Being an out-of-state landowner, I mainly focus on southern CO.

I didn't realize the big fracking issue was going on there.

In Colorado, a Fracking Boom and a Population Explosion Collide

Update: Tanker rolls, spills fracking water in Poudre Canyon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:49 PM

3,757 posts, read 4,397,860 times
Fracking has been going on for 60 years in Colorado, and I do not see it changing anytime soon. While some do not realize the huge affect oil and gas have on the state economy there are plenty that do and realize that despite being one of the most restrictive states in the country we still need the jobs and money that comes from that industry.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:52 PM

6,522 posts, read 5,834,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Fracking has been going on for 60 years in Colorado, and I do not see it changing anytime soon. While some do not realize the huge affect oil and gas have on the state economy there are plenty that do and realize that despite being one of the most restrictive states in the country we still need the jobs and money that comes from that industry.
To say that fracking has been going on in Colorado for 60 years is completely disingenuous. That’s straight out of the oil company’s marketing brochure. Fracking in its current form and volume is a relatively recent development.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
To say that fracking has been going on in Colorado for 60 years is completely disingenuous. Thatís straight out of the oil companyís marketing brochure. Fracking in its current form and volume is a relatively recent development.

It is more prevalent now, but no it is not some recent development, the recent development is directional drilling which changed the ability to get to oil in some harder to reach formations.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
It is more prevalent now, but no it is not some recent development, the recent development is directional drilling which changed the ability to get to oil in some harder to reach formations.
Saying fracking has been going on in Colorado for 60 years is the same as saying that there have been people living in Denver for 150 years. Yes it has been going on for 60 years, but trying to pretend that a handful of fracking wells that were nowhere near populated areas 60 years ago are somehow the similar to the massive volume that exist today is ridiculous. As I said before, that’s a talking point straight out of the oil and gas lobby’s PR guide.

Directional drilling changed the feasibility completely.

Do you work in oil and gas?

Last edited by SkyDog77; 08-05-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 AM

36 posts, read 9,133 times
It’s a big deal here:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...-in-broomfield

Old 08-05-2018, 11:11 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
If y'all are gonna bicker back and forth to the poor unexpecting OP about this topic, why reinvent the wheel?

Fracking your future

Refer to this thread.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Saying fracking has been going on in Colorado for 60 years is the same as saying that there have been people living in Denver for 150 years. Yes it has been going on for 60 years, but trying to pretend that a handful of fracking wells that were nowhere near populated areas 60 years ago are somehow the similar to the massive volume that exist today is ridiculous. As I said before, thatís a talking point straight out of the oil and gas lobbyís PR guide.

Directional drilling changed the feasibility completely.

Do you work in oil and gas?

No I do not work in oil and gas, just grew up in an area that has seen drilling activity for 50 years now.

The fracking going on is not in new locations, the only new oil that has been found in Colorado is the Niobara field, which is in general the same locations as the old DJ oil basin and further east and north and it was nowhere near just a handful of wells, saying it was just shows how ignorant you are about the matter.

Fracking has been going on in the DJ basin for 50 years, and I personally know of a family that made a fortune buying old oil wells and fracking them in the 1960s and 70s in those areas.

Population has spread into the areas where oil has been drilled and fracked for decades, why do you think the oil refinery and so many oil companies have their yards in the north metro area? Do you realize how many oil companies are based in Colorado or have regional headquarters here? Who do you think built those skyscrapers in the 60s and 70s?

Actual drilling starting in what is now Boulder spread out to Niwot in the early 1900s. Most of the original wells in the area are now gone, replaced by housing developments and shopping centers, and I would guess that if people were to find out that their houses sit above what was once oil wells they would not be thrilled.In fact old oil wells that I have personally saw with my own eyes are cemented in from just north of 58th and York all the way throughout the northern front range and eastern Colorado. When you get a chance research the actual oil production of the state.

I have friends who's fathers have drilled wells and fracked in areas that are now considered unincorporated Adams county between Denver and Westminster, Westminster, Broomfield, Northglenn, Thornton, Henderson, Brighton, Longmont, Fort Collins, and every where in between.

While according to reports mineral extraction is by far the largest source of income into the state, Colorado also has the strictest regulations and rules in the country when it comes to drilling and fracking. To me moving to one of the largest oil fields in the world and then complaining about it being an oil field is about the same as moving across the street from an airport and complaining about the noise from Airplanes. Forcing more rules and regulations onto the industry are just asking for trouble, and this whole boom that Colorado has seen will be decimated if the oil money leaves.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 PM

646 posts, read 340,114 times
What is the downside of living above old oil wells? Is ground unstable? Increased Radon?

Old 08-10-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
What is the downside of living above old oil wells? Is ground unstable? Increased Radon?
Your house could blow up I guess.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/fatal-c...-safety-debate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or