U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 654 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to this forum stuff.
Basically im here to get some advice and some direction on how to move out of state.

1. Where to look for rentals, Me, my wife, and our friend are looking for reasonable priced rentals.
I am (23, wife 23, friend 22). We plan on moving july 1st 2019.

2. My wife and I our LPNs we plan on going back to school when we get to colorado. Our friend has a bachelors degree in Psychology.

3. We were wondering where the cheaper best places to live were. We are young and ready to start a new adventure. We just have no clue where to start.

4. We have thought about living in the springs, or pueblo area, or fountain.
we visited in April and went driving around for a couple days just need some general direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 08:59 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Won't it depend on where you are working as LPNs and where you want to go back to school? Do you each have cars?

Have you considered Grand Junction on the Western Slope? There's RN programs there, and a V.A. hospital. I believe the V.A. hires LPNs often.

(disclaimer- I am a recently retired RN living on the Western Slope. Came from the Boston area, and have not lived around Denver).

Old 08-12-2018, 11:08 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,666,689 times
Access to jobs and concurrent with that, the appropriate school to provide the professional advancement you seek, will determine what part of the region you need to be in; Pueblo, Cos, Denver, etc. Once that is determined, then you can start looking at sub regions such as around Colo Spgs - Widefield, Security, Fountain, etc.

FWIW, the two major hospital systems in Pueblo laid off a combine 300+ persons in the last 9-10 months.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,949,899 times
The Front Range is becoming more expensive by the day, so I would suggest Grand Junction on the Western Slope. Rentals are very reasonable and you can continue your educations at Colorado Mesa University. Grand Junction has a major hospital which serves the area for literally hundreds of miles around, so you should be able to find employment there. Take a few days of vacation and check GJ out. It might be the best spot for a young person to find a foothold in Colorado these days. Best of luck!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 PM

2,767 posts, read 3,453,112 times
For further education, you are probably mostly looking at Denver metro, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Greeley and Grand Junction. Wait a year or two, qualify for in state tuition and save a lot of money. Some western state residents can get in state right away if you qualify / do it right. Pick the program you like best / can get into and live near there or at least one you find acceptable. Online study thru Colorado Technical College might be an option though not all employers would be satisfied with that training. Some jobs might offer some sort of tuition assistance. One at a time in school has some advantages.

Wages and housing prices tend to go up together but not necessarily evenly. Pick a place that has an acceptable mix of both not just one.

To get advice about where to live affordably, you need to say what you are looking for (2-3 BR? Apt. or house?) and give a rough estimate of your preferred price range. Affordable means different things for different people and places. Under $1500 / month would rule some places out. But there are places for a variety of budgets if you don't expect new, big or fancy.

How far are you willing to commute (one way in minutes)? Commuting doesn't always make sense if you don't save much on rent. Your time is valuable for extra work hours, study or free time. Do the math of hours per week commuting, gas, car wear & tear, your time, comfort with rush hour and winter driving, etc. If several commute, the total cost could get high.

Where do you prefer to live if you can afford it? Big city downtown? Medium sized, smaller? Suburbs, small town?

If you answer these questions, you'll probably get more and better advice.

Front range or west slope, know what you prefer / can tolerate in terms of snow, heat, etc.

At least one job secured before the move is strongly recommended. But have adequate savings to get by in worst case scenarios.

The more threads you read the better. Almost everything has been asked before. It may or may not get repeated here. Specific questions may have better chance of being answered that asking for anything / everything.

At some point, pick up to 3 places to research further, visit if you can. See if one works for you. If you throw a place out, look for a place that fixes the problem with the one you threw out.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-12-2018 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 06:48 AM

424 posts, read 176,153 times
As others have said look to Grand Junction for lower cost of living, some would say better quality of living too and greater income leverage due to the shortage of HC employees. Mesa State https://www.coloradomesa.edu. is also part of the Colorado State system and has a nice campus right in town.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM

13,112 posts, read 18,707,927 times
"Moving to Colorado? Where to begin?"
With money.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM

3,902 posts, read 1,471,959 times
Bring (and show us) the money first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado