Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:22 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,331,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Those of you who make such a fuss about the Aspens turning need to visit New England in the Fall. There's more than one color besides yellow.
Having lived in New England in the fall, I can't disagree with the variety and ranges of color. However, the intensity of the bright gold aspen against the cobalt blue of a high altitude sky with a backdrop grey rocked peaks with splashes of bright white snow is a scene that is hard to duplicate in the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,441,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Those of you who make such a fuss about the Aspens turning need to visit New England in the Fall. There's more than one color besides yellow.
I drove through Maine a few years ago during peak color. It was awesome. I still love me some aspen though.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:02 AM

6,800 posts, read 10,427,540 times
I don't know that it is early - when I am out hiking I often see the very first leaves turning in August, sometimes even late July on certain species. But yeah I do think stress like drought or even too much intense rain in a short period or weird temperatures can influence it. Maybe the Aspen will peak a week early this year - we'll see!

Old 08-19-2018, 01:18 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,102,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't know that it is early - when I am out hiking I often see the very first leaves turning in August, sometimes even late July on certain species. But yeah I do think stress like drought or even too much intense rain in a short period or weird temperatures can influence it.
I usually see a few yellow leaves around this time but I started seeing them already 2 weeks ago. We've not had any measurable rain in almost a month so it's likely due to the drought. The aspen are stressed. Listen to aspen trees having 'heart attacks' due to drought | CPR

I've spent many autumns in Maine and of course there is no comparison... "apples and oranges". We don't have the variety of deciduous trees that grow in other states.
In my area there are many aspen groves that turn orange, almost red. They are gorgeous and they exist all over the state. Google for images. https://tinyurl.com/ycw5f56x

Old 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM

385 posts, read 320,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I usually see a few yellow leaves around this time but I started seeing them already 2 weeks ago. We've not had any measurable rain in almost a month so it's likely due to the drought. The aspen are stressed. Listen to aspen trees having 'heart attacks' due to drought | CPR
https://tinyurl.com/ycw5f56x
Regarding the absence of rain, what happened (this is my first summer and fall in Colorado since moving here at the beginning of June)? I know that a prediction differs from reality, but the drift was that we were going to have a wetter than usual monsoon season this late summer.

Apparently, the weather forecast was "out in left field." It's sad that the rain hasn't materialized.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post

I've spent many autumns in Maine and of course there is no comparison... "apples and oranges". We don't have the variety of deciduous trees that grow in other states.
In my area there are many aspen groves that turn orange, almost red. They are gorgeous and they exist all over the state. Google for images. https://tinyurl.com/ycw5f56x
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Regarding the absence of rain, what happened (this is my first summer and fall in Colorado since moving here at the beginning of June)? I know that a prediction differs from reality, but the drift was that we were going to have a wetter than usual monsoon season this late summer.

Apparently, the weather forecast was "out in left field." It's sad that the rain hasn't materialized.
Did any of you get rain last night? We got 1 1/2" per our rain gauge (Louisville).

Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,102,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Did any of you get rain last night? We got 1 1/2" per our rain gauge (Louisville).
Not a single drop. We could see lightning/thunderstorms all around us on Saturday night but nothing here.

Regarding the fall foliage, this was on channel 4 the other night https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/08/...s-in-colorado/

Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM

6,800 posts, read 10,427,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post

We've had a real monsoon season down in the Colorado Springs area. But it has come with extra-dramatic weather - some of the worst hail storms in recorded history. The drought people are talking about is related to very dry winter and spring conditions that continued into June. We had lots of fires starting in February or so and very low snow pack in much of the state. The northern half of the state fared better than south. Monsoon season does not begin typically until late July.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:46 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,769,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Rain? What's rain?

Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Rain? What's rain?
I've thought that many times this summer when watching the weather on TV, and Kathy or Mike or Dave is talking about rain in Denver while we're sitting high and dry here in Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado