U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 03:52 AM

4,326 posts, read 4,350,986 times

Advertisements

I frequently see stories like this where the cops bust an illegal grower of cannabis:

https://gazette.com/news/more-than-m...c5aaa4b4d.html

In the story, they come up with a number to quantify the value of a pot plant, e.g.

"To calculate its value, deputies assume a mature plant yields a pound of processed pot, and a pound of pot is worth about $3,500 "on the black market on the East Coast," spokeswoman Natalie Sosa said in an email."

If that's true, no wonder there are so many illegal grows. How hard is it to grow one plant? It's a weed.

That tells me that once pot becomes legal in most states, the price has a lot of room to fall unless the authorities tax it at a too high rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:26 AM

3,902 posts, read 1,474,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
no wonder there are so many illegal grows. How hard is it to grow one plant? It's a weed.
It might be called "weed", but it's not normally considered 'a weed', or something that flourishes easily on it's own, and/or is invasive. Beyond that, I have nothing to add to this conversation.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:17 PM

169 posts, read 96,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
it's not normally considered 'a weed', or something that flourishes easily on it's own, and/or is invasive.
Perhaps you've not been to areas with sufficient soil to sustain cannabis. Following the flood of 1993, @ Tuttle Creek Reservoir, there were acres in many formerly flooded areas with stands of pot plants over 15' tall the following summer. It's on the noxious weed list here in KS where most counties spend $ to eradicate the WWII-era strains raised to replace other fibers.

I had a KSU AG prof for Plant Science who had worked with hemp production.

The | National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame in Bonner Springs, KS, has a hemp combine on display. Not sure when it became illegal to own such an implement.

I worked with a retired Soil Conservation Service McPherson County agent who was directed by KS Wildlife & Parks (big knowledge base, NOT) to mow the marijuana growing in a barnyard @ Sand Hills S.P. (former private preserve of the Dillons grocery family, now part of Kroger's). Using a brush hog behind a tractor, he started to cut a swath & the blades were brought to a standstill by the fibers wrapping around them. He spent the rest of the day cutting the fibers to free the brush hog. He did not repeat the mistake. This was a case where a SCS agent had worked his entire career in KS without knowing the agricultural past of cannabis. I'm not sure there's any area of KS I would be surprised to see wild marijuana growing. I've seen it @ Quivira National Wildlife Area W. of Hutchinson; and the floodplains above Kanapolis Reservoir; but the stands don't usually reach E. KS height. We usually get a plant or 2 in our asparagus bed; it's commonly referred to as "ditch weed" around here.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:18 PM

31,984 posts, read 17,265,872 times
We used to find ditch weed patches growing on Fort Riley. And along the dirt roads around Manhattan.

Of course the THC content makes it worthless.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:43 PM

331 posts, read 163,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
we used to find ditch weed patches growing on fort riley. And along the dirt roads around manhattan.

Of course the thc content makes it worthless.
a.k.a. Hemp

Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM

There is a series on Netflix called "Explained" that has an interesting show about the history of cannabis. It's worth watching.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:04 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,497,897 times
There's no way that an indoor pot plant such as referred to in the story would yield a pound of flowers. More like a quarter of that, providing they're accomplished growers.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:47 PM

2,928 posts, read 1,431,283 times
Cops are well known fore grossly exaggerating the value of the bust.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:37 AM

Default Another bust

https://gazette.com/news/more-than-m...016d108cf.html

"Sheriff's Office and Colorado Springs police investigators seized 1,605 plants, which the Sheriff's Office valued at $1,000 per plant, and 435 pounds of processed pot, which the Sheriff's Office valued at $3,500 per pound."

If those values are accurate I think we'll continue to see quite a few busts.

The modus operandi of these crooks is to rent a huge house from an absent, clueless owner and fit it with grow rooms that require huge ventilation and lighting.

An easy way for the authorities to discover them is to monitor utility use and respond to complaints wrt the distinct marijuana stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado