U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2018, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
10,519 posts, read 11,623,635 times
Reputation: 24168

Advertisements

Earthquake! At 4:02 AM Friday morning, a magnitude 4.3 earthquake occurred 28 miles northwest of Parachute, Colorado! Did you feel it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2018, 08:33 AM
 
12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Reputation: 18834
Not that I know of up here. But yow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Na'alehu Hawaii/Buena Vista Colorado
4,621 posts, read 9,107,160 times
Reputation: 4497
Weird! There was also a 3.2 near Trinidad at 2:00 a.m. and a 3.6 near Raton at 1:00 a.m. Is there a new fault line opening up?

You can go to www.earthquake.usgs.gov and go to "Felt Report - Tell Us". It's an easy way for them to gather data on the impacts of earthquakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Where the mountains touch the sky
575 posts, read 668,946 times
Reputation: 908
I am in Cedaredge this week and yes I felt it, just after 4 AM. Woke us up, freaked out the dogs. My hubby’s first earthquake although it felt more like a small tremor to me compared to ones I have experienced in Peru and Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 11:00 AM
 
5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Reputation: 4517
Look into fracking in the area - that contributes to earthquakes sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Status: "Thanks a lot MFBE" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Land of the Tonkawa and Kiowa
3,902 posts, read 1,471,959 times
Reputation: 5449
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Look into fracking in the area - that contributes to earthquakes sometimes.
I was wondering about that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 11:35 AM
 
12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Reputation: 18834
USGS has all three notifications (Trinidad, Parachute and Raton) posted. Could fracking cause all three?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 11:50 AM
 
5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Reputation: 4517
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
USGS has all three notifications (Trinidad, Parachute and Raton) posted. Could fracking cause all three?
Yes, they may be related. Not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 01:37 PM
 
16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Reputation: 46688
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Yes, they may be related. Not sure.
It's been a while since I've been through that area. As close as you can get to that site would be going over Douglas Pass, coming south from Rangely. More hilly than mountainous, pretty remote, the nearest towns would be Rangely and Meeker other than Parachute, which like the article said the quake was 25 miles from Parachute.The other two towns are further out.

I didn't feel a thing myself but my neighbors sure did! I visit friends in Salt Lake every few months, I might go over Douglas and then head west over U.S. 40 to Salt Lake early next week. There's a mom and pop restaurant in Rangely that serves a great breakfast, might stop in and ask about the drilling activity over there. I don't believe we have anyone who posts in the Colorado forum who goes through there on a regular basis and certainly nobody who lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2018, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Na'alehu Hawaii/Buena Vista Colorado
4,621 posts, read 9,107,160 times
Reputation: 4497
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It's been a while since I've been through that area. As close as you can get to that site would be going over Douglas Pass, coming south from Rangely. More hilly than mountainous, pretty remote, the nearest towns would be Rangely and Meeker other than Parachute, which like the article said the quake was 25 miles from Parachute.The other two towns are further out.

I didn't feel a thing myself but my neighbors sure did! I visit friends in Salt Lake every few months, I might go over Douglas and then head west over U.S. 40 to Salt Lake early next week. There's a mom and pop restaurant in Rangely that serves a great breakfast, might stop in and ask about the drilling activity over there. I don't believe we have anyone who posts in the Colorado forum who goes through there on a regular basis and certainly nobody who lives there.
We'll be going through Rangely in two weeks. Can you give me the name of the mom and pop restaurant that you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top