Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

vegaspilgrim,

I don't think you've ever tied in to some really good northern New Mexican food, based on what you've posted. Honestly, a lot of what passes for New Mexican food in Santa Fe restaurants is some concoction dreamed up by a New York-educated chef who wouldn't know truly good green chile if it bit him in the ***--and neither do the turisto and turista customers who eat at most of those places. Now, get to some of the "hole-in-the-wall" cafés and restaurants in northern New Mexico and the San Luis Valley and you'll find the real deal. It seems that usually the fancier the restaurant looks, the more likely you are to get un-authentic slop. The best green chile to use to smother enchiladas (stacked, not rolled) is usually brownish to grayish green. It's really quite easy to make, and the difference in quality is usually the "race" and handling of the green chile peppers used to make it. There are dozens of races of chile peppers--Alcaldes, Velardes, etc.--along with the common Anaheims and Big Jims.

Green chile stew, also easy to make, can be delicious. It is more watery and tends to be reddish because of the tomatoes in it. It can have potatoes or not, depending on the recipe. Again, the chiles used tend to make the difference from good to great.

The biggest mistakes a lot of "gringo" cooks make is trying to throw too many spices and such in either green chile enchilada "sauce" or green chile stew. I stick with a few basic ones, and most people rave about my recipe--which I got from a old Hispanic "Nuevo Mejicano" fellow down in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico whose mother made it on a coal stove in one iron pot.

Red chile is made about the same way--and a lot of the same caveats apply. I just happen to like green chile better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM

20 posts, read 39,071 times
I got sick once after eating at Martinez Restaurant in Pueblo, Colorado....a long time ago. I never went back.
Nachos is the best I think.
Delicious food, nice atmosphere and it is quiet.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
vegaspilgrim,

I don't think you've ever tied in to some really good northern New Mexican food, based on what you've posted. Honestly, a lot of what passes for New Mexican food in Santa Fe restaurants is some concoction dreamed up by a New York-educated chef who wouldn't know truly good green chile if it bit him in the ***--and neither do the turisto and turista customers who eat at most of those places. Now, get to some of the "hole-in-the-wall" cafés and restaurants in northern New Mexico and the San Luis Valley and you'll find the real deal. It seems that usually the fancier the restaurant looks, the more likely you are to get un-authentic slop. The best green chile to use to smother enchiladas (stacked, not rolled) is usually brownish to grayish green. It's really quite easy to make, and the difference in quality is usually the "race" and handling of the green chile peppers used to make it. There are dozens of races of chile peppers--Alcaldes, Velardes, etc.--along with the common Anaheims and Big Jims.

Green chile stew, also easy to make, can be delicious. It is more watery and tends to be reddish because of the tomatoes in it. It can have potatoes or not, depending on the recipe. Again, the chiles used tend to make the difference from good to great.

The biggest mistakes a lot of "gringo" cooks make is trying to throw too many spices and such in either green chile enchilada "sauce" or green chile stew. I stick with a few basic ones, and most people rave about my recipe--which I got from a old Hispanic "Nuevo Mejicano" fellow down in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico whose mother made it on a coal stove in one iron pot.

Red chile is made about the same way--and a lot of the same caveats apply. I just happen to like green chile better.
You're right; I've probably never even had the real thing. I definitely want to explore the San Luis valley someday. But when you use the word "slop," are using that in the literal sense or do you have some different meaning in mind? For example, the picture that McGowdog provided that I just quoted-- is that what the kind of home cooked food you're talking about looks like, or is totally different than that and you also consider that picture to be slop (as I sure do)?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You're right; I've probably never even had the real thing. I definitely want to explore the San Luis valley someday. But when you use the word "slop," are using that in the literal sense or do you have some different meaning in mind? For example, the picture that McGowdog provided that I just quoted-- is that what the kind of home cooked food you're talking about looks like, or is totally different than that and you also consider that picture to be slop (as I sure do)?
I mean "slop" as in barely edible garbage, not necessarily the consistency. A lot of green chile that's pretty good looks like what McGowdog pictured. I have had some really toxic enchiladas with thick sauce--the sauce being thick because it was half Crisco or lard. Yuk! I have also had some great green chile that wasn't even green looking--but had the right combination of peppers and seasoning. One place down in the Valley (now closed, sadly) had a thinnish consistency green chile that tasted so good that you would wait until no one was looking and then lick the plate clean-- it was THAT good.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I mean "slop" as in barely edible garbage, not necessarily the consistency. A lot of green chile that's pretty good looks like what McGowdog pictured. I have had some really toxic enchiladas with thick sauce--the sauce being thick because it was half Crisco or lard. Yuk! I have also had some great green chile that wasn't even green looking--but had the right combination of peppers and seasoning. One place down in the Valley (now closed, sadly) had a thinnish consistency green chile that tasted so good that you would wait until no one was looking and then lick the plate clean-- it was THAT good.
I'll have to make sure to try out the very best hole in wall family restaurants in these small towns you're talking about before I make any further judgments on Colorado/New Mexico cuisine. But back to the immediate subject of the thread-- Pueblo, do you, jazzlover, know of any top gun Mexican restaurants in Pueblo or do you have to keep going further south and west to get the good stuff?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'll have to make sure to try out the very best hole in wall family restaurants in these small towns you're talking about before I make any further judgments on Colorado/New Mexico cuisine. But back to the immediate subject of the thread-- Pueblo, do you, jazzlover, know of any top gun Mexican restaurants in Pueblo or do you have to keep going further south and west to get the good stuff?
I always thought Patti's was pretty good, but it's been years since I ate there. The Mill Street Cafe used to be pretty good, too, but--again--I haven't eaten there in several years. McGowdog probably has a better handle on it than I do.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsard View Post
I got sick once after eating at Martinez Restaurant in Pueblo, Colorado....a long time ago. I never went back.
Nachos is the best I think.
Delicious food, nice atmosphere and it is quiet.
Well I heard two stories about this place too. Still haven't been there yet because I work late and they're always closed for me or the Mrs is cooking something for dinner.

I had heard that the place changed ownership or brothers that owned it split ways on the business or something. Either way, it's such a need looking place in the middle of a nice little quaint neighborhood. I have to give it a chance at least once. Wish me luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 AM

Martinez Cafe is another gem. I went there Sunday and it was open for a change! They have weird hours and very limited seating, but it's a very quaint and clean place. Very colorful and friendly.

These two older ladies were working in the kitchen and you just know they're good cooks and it's about as homeade as you can get.

They serve stuff like; American Style and Mexican Style breakfasts, specialties such as Smostada (beef chicken or Chorizo tostada with bean, onion & cheese topped with lettuce, tomato & sour cream), Burritos, Rellaco (a rellano in a taco style tortilla-flour or corn with ...), Polk Street Special (choice of 2 meat combination in a large flour tort with beans, onion, parmesan & cheddar cheese, guacamole & sour cream, smothered with red or green). Ala Carte: taco, enchilada, relleno, pork tamale, burrito, etc. For sides, they have you pick two of the three; rice, beans, or potatoes. The beans are good too. Good because they are homemade and not from dehydrated or from a can.

I got one chirizo taco on white, one chirizo taco on corn, and a chirizo burrito and it did not make me sick. It made me want to slap somebody's grandmother.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Wow ... I stumbled across this thread, and the OP's ravings about how good some of the ... IMO ... worst excuses for institutionalized garbage masquerading as "mexican" food being served in Pueblo. Mi Ranchito, tres Magaritas ... big portions of beans, rice, and lots of goo on your platter ... bluck!

If all you're looking at is a crispy taco, crispy tostada, burrito, enchilada filled with ground beef, chunks of chicken, or chunks of pork, and rice and beans ... smothered with tons of gooey, gloppy, cheesy toppings, sliced lettuce ... and "chili" , or slices of beef sliced so thin it's only got one side to it and then grilled .... you're not getting Mexican food.

Call it whatever you want, enjoy it if you like ... but it's so far removed from the real gems of Mexican cooking as to compete with "chow mein" in a Chinese restaurant for authenticity and good flavors/texture/appearance. Mexican "food for the gringo taste", at best.

When I travel to Mexico, or visit friend's homes with native cooks from Mexico, I see chili as a soupy stock with lots of huge chunks of pork shoulder and big pieces of peppers (hot and mild, all freshly seared and skinned before going into the pot). Made to be eaten as a dish by itself with tortillas on the side, it's a boiled dish. The "green" chili that starts with a roux and fries the meat and green chilies and comes out thick and green ... that's made to be a "sauce", sparely applied to a burrito or similar item ... and not on top, but inside, along with the filling. And, no way is there beans in chili.

I see lots of whole chickens, grilled on a barbeque after marinating in a chili based sauce.

I see lots of turkey, all year 'round, including using the "first joint" of the wing for all the cartilage in soups and stews.

I see lots of soups/stews, such as albondingas soup, where it's a thin stock with lots of big chunks of various meats and potatoes.

I see lots of "shredded" pork, or thin slices of barbaquoa ... all marinated and slow roasted or grilled on a barbeque.

I see lots of fish, shrimp, octopus, squid .... in soups, stews, barbequed, or pan fried with spices ... I see lots of ceviche served with crispy tortillas on the side, or soft tortillas to "roll your own" at the table. I see yellowtail, mackeral, and bonito heads used in soups/stews (a very rich & flavorfull part of the fish).

I see lots of "other meats" ... beef cheeksmeat, tripe (in menudo, but also in other stews and soups), organ meats, pigs feet, etc.

I see lots of tomatoes, onions, garlic, plain rice, hominy, fresh corn, plain/spiced beans (and not much refried beans). Lots of citrus, lots of dried spices and lots of fresh diced onions as a condiment. Jicama, and other not commonly seen vegetables served fresh or cooked in dishes, too.

I see tamales made with lard and masa, filled with meats and olives and onions and spices and chilies ... but not ground meat, only shredded beef, chicken, or pork.

I see eggs used as a binder for vegetables, sausages, and potatoes, in omelettes.

I see many dishes that are plain and simple, yet well flavored without the coverings of heavy doses of sauces. I see rice puddings, and fancy baked breads, and tortillas.

What I don't see is gooey, gloppy, cheesy to the point of indistinguisable like the pictures in the stryofoam box above on this thread. At least "Tex-Mex" has the honesty to call itself something different, which it is ....

Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Wow ... I stumbled across this thread, and the OP's ravings about how good some of the ... IMO ... worst excuses for institutionalized garbage masquerading as "mexican" food being served in Pueblo. Mi Ranchito, tres Magaritas ... big portions of beans, rice, and lots of goo on your platter ... bluck!

If all you're looking at is a crispy taco, crispy tostada, burrito, enchilada filled with ground beef, chunks of chicken, or chunks of pork, and rice and beans ... smothered with tons of gooey, gloppy, cheesy toppings, sliced lettuce ... and "chili" , or slices of beef sliced so thin it's only got one side to it and then grilled .... you're not getting Mexican food.

What? Mi Ranchitos [Mi Ranchito link 1 to the left and Mi Ranchito Menue link ***here*** (http://www.miranchito2.com/menu.htm - broken link)]uses pork shoulder and it comes out partly shredded and crispy. My wife and I have had awesome Mexican food in San Diego and I've had the good stuff all over the South Western states of California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Mexico proper, and this food is right up there.

Call it whatever you want, enjoy it if you like ... but it's so far removed from the real gems of Mexican cooking as to compete with "chow mein" in a Chinese restaurant for authenticity and good flavors/texture/appearance. Mexican "food for the gringo taste", at best.

I mentioned Tres Margaritas as a franchise place that has much better food and service than any other franchise place in the area. They cook very good food there and their flank steak is as good as any place I've seen. They also have a Mexican soup that's very good. Their beans are very authentic and good; not from a can or from dehydrated. By the way, this franchise joint was 18th on my list, which has changed a bit since the 1st post. I'd like to add Martinez and Los Cuervos to my list, take Aldolfos off and add Vazquez.

When I travel to Mexico, or visit friend's homes with native cooks from Mexico, I see chili as a soupy stock with lots of huge chunks of pork shoulder and big pieces of peppers (hot and mild, all freshly seared and skinned before going into the pot). Made to be eaten as a dish by itself with tortillas on the side, it's a boiled dish. The "green" chili that starts with a roux and fries the meat and green chilies and comes out thick and green ... that's made to be a "sauce", sparely applied to a burrito or similar item ... and not on top, but inside, along with the filling. And, no way is there beans in chili.

I'll go back to my original disclaimer here because I'm sick of everybody up the Front Range braggin' about their favorite Mexican food only to have somebody from Texas or New Mexico or Arizona or SoCal or Mexico slam it;

I'm talking about good Mexican Food. Not good Margaritas. I could care less about those. I'm from SoCal and I'm not gonna argue about TexMex vs the other 120 some types of Mexican Food. I could care less about how dumpy the place is, so long as it's sanitary and they keep the place somewhat clean through and through. In the San Fernando Valley, there are places that don't fit this description, but just have the best food. We're not looking for the Palace Arms here. Just good food and a well run joint. This goes for any establishment for me.

Let's just argue on one thing; If someone says that Taco Bell is better than "X-place", then that's an insult to "X-place".

I'm talking about good Mexican Food. Not good Margaritas. I could care less about those. I'm from SoCal and I'm not gonna argue about TexMex vs the other 120 some types of Mexican Food. I could care less about how dumpy the place is, so long as it's sanitary and they keep the place somewhat clean through and through. In the San Fernando Valley, there are places that don't fit this description, but just have the best food. We're not looking for the Palace Arms here. Just good food and a well run joint. This goes for any establishment for me.

Let's just argue on one thing; If someone says that Taco Bell is better than "X-place", then that's an insult to "X-place".

Did you get that this time?

I see lots of whole chickens, grilled on a barbeque after marinating in a chili based sauce.

I see lots of turkey, all year 'round, including using the "first joint" of the wing for all the cartilage in soups and stews.

I see lots of soups/stews, such as albondingas soup, where it's a thin stock with lots of big chunks of various meats and potatoes.

I see lots of "shredded" pork, or thin slices of barbaquoa ... all marinated and slow roasted or grilled on a barbeque.

I see lots of fish, shrimp, octopus, squid .... in soups, stews, barbequed, or pan fried with spices ... I see lots of ceviche served with crispy tortillas on the side, or soft tortillas to "roll your own" at the table. I see yellowtail, mackeral, and bonito heads used in soups/stews (a very rich & flavorfull part of the fish).

I see lots of "other meats" ... beef cheeksmeat, tripe (in menudo, but also in other stews and soups), organ meats, pigs feet, etc.

I see lots of tomatoes, onions, garlic, plain rice, hominy, fresh corn, plain/spiced beans (and not much refried beans). Lots of citrus, lots of dried spices and lots of fresh diced onions as a condiment. Jicama, and other not commonly seen vegetables served fresh or cooked in dishes, too.

I see tamales made with lard and masa, filled with meats and olives and onions and spices and chilies ... but not ground meat, only shredded beef, chicken, or pork.

I see eggs used as a binder for vegetables, sausages, and potatoes, in omelettes.

I see many dishes that are plain and simple, yet well flavored without the coverings of heavy doses of sauces. I see rice puddings, and fancy baked breads, and tortillas.

What I don't see is gooey, gloppy, cheesy to the point of indistinguisable like the pictures in the stryofoam box above on this thread. At least "Tex-Mex" has the honesty to call itself something different, which it is ....

I don't care what you see. You don't like the food I like, good for you.

What's not to like about a Chirizo Chimi smothered with Green Chile, all very homemade ingredients, with a little cheese thrown on top? I had to tell them not to smother it with lettuce and tomatoes. Yuck. I could just as easily told them to hold the cheese. But I didn't.

Call these people up yourselves at Los Cuervo's yourselves; 6695 W Hwy 165, Colorado City, Colorado 719-676-2272 and ask them about the freshness of their ingredients.
Thanks for slamming my thread. I still like that food and plenty of people I know do as well. Have you got other suggestions on dining in Pueblo Colorado or do you suggest people to just bypass the town and eat in Walsenburg or Colorado Springs?

ADD: I just called Mi Ranchitos and asked them to describe how they cook their Carnitas; Pork is cooked until tender, then it's shredded and recooked on the stove. That's what makes it crispy and good.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-13-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado