U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 PM

2,769 posts, read 3,455,224 times

Advertisements

Think about sunlight, wind, natural water drainage patterns. Read up on pruning recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,787 posts, read 37,451,783 times
get your info here:
El Paso County Extension - Providing trusted, practical education to help you solve problems, develop skills and build a better future.El Paso County Extension | Providing trusted, practical education to help you solve problems, develop skills and bu
Colorado Master Gardener - El Paso County ExtensionEl Paso County Extension

As above... know your micro climate (will vary within a mile)
Sun, Wind, Soils, temps, drainage...

As a commercial producer... it will be a lot more fun and economical to find an existing orchard and volunteer to help! (Do this BEFORE planting ANYTHING!!!) Save some grief. Join "Gleaners" ! Volunteer at a local arboretum.

My easiest and most dependable 'edible' landscape are some 80 Yr old Blueberries I transplanted 30 yrs ago. (not in Colorado, but they do grow well there) .

As with any flowering / blossom plant. Have plenty of varieties, as each yr will bring challenges to all. (early frost / hail, too wet, too dry, diseases...)

Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 PM

2,048 posts, read 1,456,654 times
There's a reason commercial tree fruit groves aren't grown along the front range: wild temp swings; occasional neg 25 degrees nights; warm, dry chinook winds in winter; late spring frosts/snows. None are desirable for orchards.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 AM

6,527 posts, read 5,838,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
There's a reason commercial tree fruit groves aren't grown along the front range: wild temp swings; occasional neg 25 degrees nights; warm, dry chinook winds in winter; late spring frosts/snows. None are desirable for orchards.
I donít think OP was trying to do this commercially. As long as you go in with eyes open about the challenges/risks, there is no reason not to have a fruit tree or two in Colorado if you want one.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
A few fruit trees on a city lot for hobby purposes and personal consumption are hardly an orchard operation requiring huge amounts of research, layout, and maintenance. Granted, some areas of COS may be more conducive to growing than others parts, but in general, I'd say go for it. Don't expect to see any results for a few years though, so this is hardly an exercise for someone who will be moving often.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:43 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,951,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
There are commercial apple orchards in Penrose, a town a few miles south of Colorado Springs. When I was a child we used to go down their to pick apples every fall.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:48 AM

15,566 posts, read 8,742,257 times
This year has been great for apples in Denver. They're everywhere! But as others have noted, it's hit or miss in Colorado. A late freeze can take them all out, and you'll get nothing. As Colorado Rambler noted, pests are a problem.

Raspberries do fine. I grow them successfully, along with strawberries.

I don't know that I'd recommend a peach tree in the Front Range, but you'll have your fill of Western Slope peaches from your local grocery at this time of year. We've been eating them non-stop.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
I’ve grown nectarine, peach, cherry, apple and lemon trees here in Denver.

They don’t grow fast but they do not die and will bare fruit. Apples and cherries grow strong through.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:58 PM

2,976 posts, read 2,395,835 times
The biggest thing with gardening in general in CO is you want to get varieties of what ever you're planting that require the shortest growing season. That's the limiting factor, since our frost dates are so highly variable.

The apple farms in Penrose are still there, though they've been on hard times for quite a while. Most years the trees don't produce great harvests. The Front Range is just a marginal location where things will survive, but it's really hard to get things to thrive.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:03 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
I suspect that hail storms can clobber the daylights out of what's growing on fruit trees....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or