U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:24 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,620,169 times

Advertisements

Planning a weekday, day trip to Maroon Bells next week. Looking at the trail options, from what I've read online, I'm considering The Scenic Loop Trail or The Maroon Creek Trail (or both?) I expect to arrive 9:30ish at the shuttle bus lot. Anyone who has done these have a recommendation? Do I have enough time for both?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 02:57 PM

4,623 posts, read 9,109,755 times
I like the website All Trails. They have great descriptions of hikes, plus people add a lot of comments and tips.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:18 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
If you've a camera of some sort, would be so cool to have pix of the trail....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:04 PM

6,527 posts, read 5,838,462 times
I’ve only tu done the scenic loop trail with my kids. It’s gorgeous and not hard. My thought is the more time the better out there. Do both if you can!

Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 PM

424 posts, read 176,878 times
Be prepared for waaaaaay more people than you think. Last year about this same time of year we waited in line for the shuttles which were packed. Once there we hiked on trails with hundreds of others. Sort of disappointing. Leafers everywhere.

Consider leaving earlier before the road is closed and driving to the parking lot.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Be prepared for waaaaaay more people than you think. Last year about this same time of year we waited in line for the shuttles which were packed. Once there we hiked on trails with hundreds of others. Sort of disappointing. Leafers everywhere.

Consider leaving earlier before the road is closed and driving to the parking lot.
That crowded even on a week day?

I'll be spending the night in Summit Co., and really not comfortable driving those mountain roads roads in the dark before sunrise...

Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM

1,810 posts, read 1,548,966 times
I was there Saturday, but at sunrise so I can't comment about the crowds. I would do the Scenic trail for sure and then see if you feel up to the Maroon Creek trail. I believe there is a way to walk down the valley from the parking lot and have the bus pick you up at the end. That'll be a lot easier.

You mentioned you don't like mountain roads in the dark, but if you are ok with them in the daytime I would highly recommend leaving as early as you are comfortable (6 am?) and driving through Leadville and over Independence Pass. The views of the aspens along this route were amazing!

Mike asked for a picture....

... hmmm I can't get the pic to post.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:43 PM

I was there today. Left Keystone at 6:30 AM, breakfast in Leadville at 7:15, arrived 9:30ish. Little delay because my car's nav directed me to the wrong Four Mountain Sports :-(

It was not crowded. Got on the first bus that left after I arrived (10 minute wait). The bus driver/guide said peak leaf color is today and should last another 2-3 days. It was very nice (though I am spoiled by some time living in New England, where the maples outdo the aspens in vaieety of color).

I did both hikes. The Maroon Creek hike let me out by the road at the East Portal. I flagged down the bus and he took me back to the parking lot.

One warning - there's construction on 82 between town and the traffic circle, and it backed things up for several miles.

Mike - how do I post a pic that's stored on my hard drive and not an online hosting site?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:48 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
We have an FAQ on how to add photos to a posting.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 PM

6,527 posts, read 5,838,462 times
Just upload the pics to TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting and you can direct link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado