U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 04:34 AM

46 posts, read 18,485 times

Advertisements

I'm a student at CU Anschutz and there are going to be discounted ski resort passes, tickets etc on campus this week. I'm trying to decide if I should commit to a full-on season pass, or a package deal for a few days. I took a snowboarding lesson once. Nearly sprained my ACL and never got on the lift for the PM half of the day with the other newbs because my leg was stiff and painful. I later found out from a friend showing me how to longboard, that I am probably a goofy rider. That day on the snowboard they did that "push test" (which I now believe is BS) and said I'm regular. Well...that explains a lot. It's still sort of on my bucket list (if people my age can have such a thing) to learn to ride.

Anyway, I can get the Ikon Base Pass for almost half price. Really leaning towards that one, it seems like a great deal. But wondering if it's still too much of an investment for a beginner (considering myself virtually a first timer given the above, lol). I just don't know if I'm going to use it enough to justify it. But I also think by comparison, $200 for a 4 day pass (a few discounts going for about that) isn't worth it. Especially when I want to throw in a few lessons as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 09:06 AM

2,534 posts, read 5,825,037 times
You might consider Loveland's 3 class pass. Includes 3 lessons, equipment rental, and season pass for about $400 (don't know of course if they'll be offering any further discounts at Anschutz).

Old 09-15-2018, 12:09 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,629,430 times
If you want to learn and become proficient, the more you do it, the better. Season's passes are a great deal if you make use of them.
And consider trying skiing. You only stand one way on skis :-)

Old 09-15-2018, 02:11 PM

6,582 posts, read 5,878,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
If you want to learn and become proficient, the more you do it, the better. Season's passes are a great deal if you make use of them.
Agree on both fronts.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
You might consider Loveland's 3 class pass. Includes 3 lessons, equipment rental, and season pass for about $400 (don't know of course if they'll be offering any further discounts at Anschutz).
Loveland will be there, but prices aren't listed (I'm on Senate which is how I was able to access this info). I thought about that one too, just wondering if it'd be better to have the option to try out different resorts (possibly with diff people) so I can also get a sense of my preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I tried skiing on a senior trip in high school, wasn't really crazy about it. Haha even trying to learn to snowboard the wrong way felt more my style than skiing. I've heard that if you can inline skate, skiing is easier... but that skill didn't really translate for me.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 AM

2,534 posts, read 5,825,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
Loveland will be there, but prices aren't listed (I'm on Senate which is how I was able to access this info). I thought about that one too, just wondering if it'd be better to have the option to try out different resorts (possibly with diff people) so I can also get a sense of my preferences.

I tried skiing on a senior trip in high school, wasn't really crazy about it. Haha even trying to learn to snowboard the wrong way felt more my style than skiing. I've heard that if you can inline skate, skiing is easier... but that skill didn't really translate for me.
From your posts it sounds like your first concern should be to learn the basics of boarding or skiing enough to decide if it's a sport you want to participate in - the location's not the most important thing to start. You can always visit and explore the mountain towns and have a good time without boarding or skiing.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 AM

97 posts, read 123,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
From your posts it sounds like your first concern should be to learn the basics of boarding or skiing enough to decide if it's a sport you want to participate in - the location's not the most important thing to start. You can always visit and explore the mountain towns and have a good time without boarding or skiing.
word up. i think the loveland 3 class pass is a solid deal, considering it includes lessons and gear on top of the season pass. loveland has a long season and it's easy to get up there compared to some of the other resorts. depending on how fast you get your legs under you, you'll have time later in the season to try other places out like copper, vail, breck, winter park etc. if you're going with friends and they have season passes, they may be able to score you discounted lift tickets for those hills.

the other good thing is that once you've had a few lessons with the gear from loveland and you know what works for you, you can pick up stuff on your own for cheap in denver. between craigslist, the rei garage sale, and end-of-season sales, i've scored lots of nice gear for a song.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundele View Post
word up. i think the loveland 3 class pass is a solid deal, considering it includes lessons and gear on top of the season pass. loveland has a long season and it's easy to get up there compared to some of the other resorts. depending on how fast you get your legs under you, you'll have time later in the season to try other places out like copper, vail, breck, winter park etc. if you're going with friends and they have season passes, they may be able to score you discounted lift tickets for those hills.

the other good thing is that once you've had a few lessons with the gear from loveland and you know what works for you, you can pick up stuff on your own for cheap in denver. between craigslist, the rei garage sale, and end-of-season sales, i've scored lots of nice gear for a song.
Ah, yeah, one of my concerns was being bound to one place and not being able to go with friends who have other passes. Also hate to pass on $379 for a $700 pass (Loveland's 3 class one is more than that if there's no discount). But, I see your point.

I guess there's always next year.. assuming they'll do this again and I survive 1st yr of grad school. Lol.

Starts tomorrow, so I'll shop around a bit and see what the rest of the deals are that haven't been announced.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 AM

6,582 posts, read 5,878,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
Ah, yeah, one of my concerns was being bound to one place and not being able to go with friends who have other passes. Also hate to pass on $379 for a $700 pass (Loveland's 3 class one is more than that if there's no discount). But, I see your point.

I guess there's always next year.. assuming they'll do this again and I survive 1st yr of grad school. Lol.

Starts tomorrow, so I'll shop around a bit and see what the rest of the deals are that haven't been announced.
I agree with your assessment. Buy the discounted pass.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:52 PM

I ended up getting a Ski and Ride U pass from Copper, which is basically the same as Loveland's deal (actually, a half day longer) but cheaper. $269 vs $412 - not student discounts, just their beginner deals. A few classmates got Ikon Base, so I have the option of going to Copper with them. What's funny is one of them went to talk to the Ikon people and said "I'm just concerned I have some friends that might be going to other resorts" and they were like "well maybe you need new friends". lol. So I'm not sure what happened there, but at least 2 others have the base pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado