U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2018, 10:49 AM
 
357 posts, read 168,579 times
Reputation: 561

Advertisements

Which is the DUMBEST TV ad you have seen for the tax increase for roads on the Nov. ballot?

Is it the one that says "Our population has doubled since the last tax increase for roads but the funding has been cut in half".

Why is that? It does not make sense unless the State is moving that money to other programs it was not intended for. We should have twice the money as before with all of the new people here.

Or is it the one that has a car full of people stuck in a I25/I70 traffic jam saying "Hey look- another Texas one (license plate) and then another person says hey look- a California one too!"

That ad goes on to say the tourists are really going to be the ones paying for the tax increase (or at least paying their "fair share").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2018, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,178 posts, read 9,481,692 times
Reputation: 8877
It's simple economics. Gas tax hasn't been raised in 27 or 28 years. In that time average vehicle fuel efficiency has doubled and construction costs have gone up. The purchasing power of the gas tax has been cut in half.

FWIW, I'm more likely to vote for that measure than the Independence Institute's misleading and stupid shell game (Fix Our Damn Roads) that will end up handcuffing the general fund even more and/or causing the number of tolled highway miles to skyrocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Status: "Not politically correct" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Western Colorado
10,574 posts, read 11,675,038 times
Reputation: 24281
And all that money will go to Denver and ignore the western slope. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 01:14 PM
 
874 posts, read 925,918 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
And all that money will go to Denver and ignore the western slope. No thanks.
Isn't 55% (40% for whatever local road projects and 15% for intermodal) of the increased funding going to city and counties based upon vehicle registrations and miles of road in the municipality? So, it makes sense that the Front Range would get a larger share, but it certainly doesn't seem like the Western Slope is getting ignored.

I love COS's local opposition to this, "We f**ked up and had to pass an emergency tax increase to fix our roads, but investing for the long-term makes too much sense."

COS is so ass-backward in thinking about the future, it shouldn't even be a city. Just let it be administered as an oversize HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Colorado
663 posts, read 346,317 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Which is the DUMBEST TV ad you have seen for the tax increase for roads on the Nov. ballot?

Is it the one that says "Our population has doubled since the last tax increase for roads but the funding has been cut in half".

Why is that? It does not make sense unless the State is moving that money to other programs it was not intended for. We should have twice the money as before with all of the new people here.

Or is it the one that has a car full of people stuck in a I25/I70 traffic jam saying "Hey look- another Texas one (license plate) and then another person says hey look- a California one too!"

That ad goes on to say the tourists are really going to be the ones paying for the tax increase (or at least paying their "fair share").
Not sure you have the wording right, but you’re right in that it mathematically makes no sense. They seem to imply that if population doubles, so should tax rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 04:01 PM
 
357 posts, read 168,579 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Not sure you have the wording right, but you’re right in that it mathematically makes no sense. They seem to imply that if population doubles, so should tax rates.
Maybe not the tax rates but the revenues should definitely be going up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 04:20 PM
 
874 posts, read 925,918 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Maybe not the tax rates but the revenues should definitely be going up!
They have, but nowhere near a rate that would offest inflation. So your per capita spending on transportation at the state level might be the same as it was in 1993 which would mean that revenue has grown with population- but costs certainly aren't the same. Seems to me like the ad is trying to capture the conundrum of explaining the hidden cost of inflation in a succinct way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Gunbarrel/Boulder, Colorado
57 posts, read 32,398 times
Reputation: 112
Maybe vehicle "out of state import" and registration fees are only tangentially related
to funding road repairs, projects, ... but as a new arrival (Oct 1st is my one year
anniversary of my MD->CO move), I have met many folks in my community that keep
their cars registered/tagged "back home" to get around these fees. When I moved to
Boulder in April, driving through my new apartment complex I saw at least *30* different
states represented by license plates.


It'd be great if there was a way to chase down violators (residents over 90 days or whatever)
and enforce the import fees. Ugh for me it was a shade over $900. I can imagine that would
provide a lot of money for those road concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 07:43 PM
 
20,344 posts, read 37,861,657 times
Reputation: 18144
Sam, for Boulder that may not be very meaningful since there are a lot of out of state students whom I suspect keep the license plates of their home state. In other locations with large military populations that's also to be expected.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Denver
999 posts, read 313,974 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
Maybe vehicle "out of state import" and registration fees are only tangentially related
to funding road repairs, projects, ... but as a new arrival (Oct 1st is my one year
anniversary of my MD->CO move), I have met many folks in my community that keep
their cars registered/tagged "back home" to get around these fees. When I moved to
Boulder in April, driving through my new apartment complex I saw at least *30* different
states represented by license plates.


It'd be great if there was a way to chase down violators (residents over 90 days or whatever)
and enforce the import fees. Ugh for me it was a shade over $900. I can imagine that would
provide a lot of money for those road concerns.
I didn't register until my plates were going to expire. I had just paid IL my reg fees the month before I moved. If I could have gotten a refund from IL, I would have registered right away. Not that it is an "excuse" per say, but at some point, you get tired of paying the government for things, especially when you just paid one state government for the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's simple economics. Gas tax hasn't been raised in 27 or 28 years. In that time average vehicle fuel efficiency has doubled and construction costs have gone up. The purchasing power of the gas tax has been cut in half.
This is how I understand it too. I'm all for increasing the gas taxes. An extra 20c won't be noticeable, whereas all of these toll roads are....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top