U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
khc khc started this thread

3 posts, read 8,360 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I just found this site and have been spending a few hours reading the various threads. There is so much good information out there and will hopefully make our relocation a happier one.

Our situation is that we are trying to get the heck out of NJ----a terribly overcrowed, expensive, and fast paced lifestyle that I really don't enjoy all that much. Right now my hubby (an IT guy) hasn't started his job search but we are looking at relocating within the next year or so. We haven't decided on an area of the country yet however Colorado is looking very good. We have two young children (4 and 6). A few questions---

1. I will shoot myself if I have to move to another overcrowded congested area of the country. If my hubby finds a job in Denver, how bad is the commute into Denver? Right now his commute from where we live in NJ into NYC is almost 2 hours. We desperately need something better. We have lived in heavily congested areas for 10 years and I can't stand it.

2. I am retired military. Does CO tax military retirement pay? Do many military retirees settle in CO?

3. Property taxes are horrible here in NJ. We are paying almost $10k per year on a house we paid $296k for. Hopefully the tax situation is much better in CO. We would love to buy a house on an acre or so and could probably plunk some money down since we bought in NJ when the market was low. But will the taxes kill us?

4. Haven't started the job search yet however are high tech jobs plentiful in CO? I've been to a few sites already and there seem to be jobs out there but then again, haven't really gotten into the earnest job. I suspect that Denver would probably be a prime location for high tech jobs but since we haven't delved into the job market yet, really don't know much.

Thanks for any input and sorry if any of my questions have been asked elsewhere. I am a rural girl (grew up in Hawaii without telephone or electricity...... . I desperately want to find an area where we can raise our kids and have a good quality of life. And definately need a slower pace in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,891,818 times
Hi KHC,

Denver commute times aren't bad assuming you aren't living on one end of the city and have to commute to another. With TREX just opening up, it should be much better than when I lived up there 8 years ago.

Heck, I know people that live here in Colorado Springs that commute to Denver and assuming it's on the south end of the metro area, it is definately not a 2 hour commute unless there's an accident. With FREX (the bus that goes up there -- from C Springs -- I think it's still around) and TREX (Light rail that JUST opened up in Denver) that commute is much more cushy although I have yet to attempt it myself.

I am not exactly sure if CO taxes military pay but I am pretty sure they don't. There is so much military in Colorado Springs our state government reps in C Springs would not have any of that as there are a ton of military and military retirees here.

I don't pay proptery taxes as I rent but when I did own they weren't horrible but keep in mind they are tied into county governments more so than state as the county governments assess property values. But homeownership here in CO is much cheaper than the east coast. You'd have to consult a realtor to find out what various tax rates are based per county. I might be wrong with that and we do have a resident realtor/property management type here that can answer that pretty well.

There's a friend of mine that lives on the east coast talking about her property taxes and the last time she brought up her quarterly taxes on the property I about fell out of my chair. IIRC my landlord has had, in the past, a property tax of about a tenth of what you stated on a 3 bedroom home in C Springs.

High tech is not so great at the moment although things are picking up a bit. Being ex-military you might be able to get in with some of the DOD contractors. There are a few up in Denver but more down here in the Springs. My landlord worked for a DOD contractor for quite sometime when he retired from the military. Now he works directly for the AF.

You could go in between and consider Monument if you get a job in C Springs with a DOD contractor and your husband gets a job in Denver. It's a beautiful area.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:17 AM

Thank you COflower for the reply. It all sounds so much better than NJ at this point. Now we just have to take some time and travel out to Colorado for a visit this summer.....

Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 AM

226 posts, read 1,264,250 times
Actual property taxes are difficult to calculate, but a good ballpark estimate is about 1% of the purchase price. They will typically be a little less, but I would rather estimate high. As you start looking at homes online your Realtor will be able to tell you the property taxes on specific properties.

You can live almost anywhere near Denver and have less than an hour commute. Traffic is nothing like the east cost, we lived in the DC area before we moved here and we would laugh when someone out here started complaining about traffic.

Most of the high tech jobs will be located in the Denver Tech Center. This area is located toward the southern end of the city about 5 or 10 miles from downtown. If you are going to be working in this area I would concentrate your home search in Douglas County.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,725,333 times
Default Technology jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWolfe View Post
Most of the high tech jobs will be located in the Denver Tech Center. This area is located toward the southern end of the city about 5 or 10 miles from downtown. If you are going to be working in this area I would concentrate your home search in Douglas County.
My apologies to the previous poster, but it is actually not true that most of the high tech jobs are in DTC (Denver Technology Center). In fact, there are multiple concentrations of technology jobs (going from the north to the south) : Longmont, Boulder, Broomfield/Interlocken, Downtown Denver, DTC (as the previous poster mentioned), and the further south office parks (Inverness, Merdian, etc). There are a few also in the Lakewood/Golden/Denver West area as well, but to a lesser degree.

As for the comment to live in Douglas County, I can't say anything bad about Douglas County to be sure, but would point out that exurban Douglas County would be an inconvenient commute to anything north of DTC.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,710 times
Wink Im itchy in NJ too !

Hi there KHC,,, For 2 yrs Ive been wanting out of here. I commute to New York City too ...almost 2 hrs from Middletown, I am so torn between either COlorado or North Carolina.. Where in NJ are you? Any of you out there want to sell me on CO ?? Altough living in NJ all my life,,,I fear Id miss the ocean, but we dont have those ROCKIES ! Maybe I can find a nice lake to live near So Coloradians,,,,,convince me

Old 12-17-2006, 10:52 AM

20,810 posts, read 38,972,727 times
Default Re: Military Retirees

Military pensions are Government pensions. Checks come from U.S. Treasury, same as Civil Service pensions.

CO taxes re Government pensions was answered today in another forum. Short answer is Yes, there is "some" exemption, but there are some qualifiers...please see: Colorado pension tax questions....

There are TONS of military retirees here in the Colorado Springs region, many work for Government contractors now.

s/Mike

Old 12-18-2006, 02:00 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,337,049 times
Hey, I am from the area you guys are itching to leave. I currently live in Seattle, and love this city although it is no NYC. I know the property taxes suck, although did you think about the fact that you will be leaving at a time when there will finally be tax relief? There is no metro area like New York/North Jersey. If you want quiet, then I guess you would have to commute a bit, but when you leave think of this. No more Jersey shore,Manhattan, Hamptons, (Philly/Boston/DC day trips), etc. Just have to defend the area there is no place like it.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:47 AM

Good to see more replies. Been so busy with holiday stuff that I haven't been online all that much.

Chrissie35, we live about 15 min for one another. My hubby and I live in the Matawan area. Although we live in a nice neighborhood and have met some very nice folks here, this part of the country is just too fast paced for me. The horrible commute is something that has really gotten to both of us and we desperately need a change of pace. All I can say about the commute into NYC is argggg. Because of the nature of my hubby's job, he is up at 4:20am to catch a 5:30ish train. And back to the house close to 8pm. That is way too long for us.

UrbanQuest, I hear what you say about all the things to do. There are a ton of activities to do and so much to see. From that aspect, this state has so much to offer. But with that said, I am a rural girl at heart and the overcrowding here in this state has just gotten to me. Property tax relief is coming however I'm not that we will qualify (income bracket) from what I've read.

We are not moving until my hubby actually manages to land a job and it is an area where we really want to settle. The job hunt may eventually lead us to a different area but I really like the sounds of Colorado and direct our efforts there. We have lived in many different places during our military careers and we have kinda decided what we like and we don't like about certain areas. Thanks again everyone for the replies and all the info.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM

20,810 posts, read 38,972,727 times
Default A few more tid bits...

UrbanQuest is right, NYC, esp Manhattan, are great. We just spent 4 days in the big apple...to see Macy's Parade...what a GREAT city...that's what I think a great civilization should be....so I play the Lottery and hope for enough to have a brownstone on/near Central Park....about $8M these days....

Meanwhile, I love Colorado Springs....see today's remarks by FinishStrong in another post....he's now a BELIEVER too.

Property taxes....our tax here in Colorado Springs / El Paso County on a new house, $557k, are $3228.00 per year. Anyone else care to divulge....its all public record....no need to be shy....

There are a good deal of high tech jobs all along the Front Range, we have a lot here in COS too....

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado