U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 PM

21 posts, read 10,869 times

Advertisements

We will only be there for 5 nights. We will fly into Denver and rent a car. We will be thee July 21-26, 2019. We want to have a good time, but be affordable. Nice restaurants, etc. is crucial, but so is outdoorsy activities. I started doing some research about Breckenridge. What do yall think about this city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Please be aware that if you're coming to COLO from anywhere near sea level then you must drink a lot of water when you get here and must go easy on alcohol. The dry climate and altitude have laid low many a visitor not used the environment of Denver and especially up in the mountains.

We always recommend water, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, saline nasal spray and lip balm. The thinner air lets a lot of sunlight hit your skin and it will dry you out and give you nosebleeds if you aren't prepared for it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 PM

4,636 posts, read 9,129,621 times
Breckenridge is a small mountain town that has been recommended many times both here and on the TripAdvisor Colorado forum. It's a great, scenic location with plenty to do in the summer. Actually, if you are looking for a small mountain town, I'd recommend Buena Vista or Salida as being a bit more low key than Breck.

Check this out for things to do in Breck: https://www.gobreck.com/#

Salida: https://salidachamber.org/first-timers-guide/

Buena Vista: https://www.buenavistacolorado.org/

Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,849 posts, read 37,540,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakristen92 View Post
We will only be there for 5 nights. We will fly into Denver and rent a car. ... but be affordable. Nice restaurants, etc. is crucial, but so is outdoorsy activities. I started doing some research about Breckenridge. What do yall think about this city?
Nice town (as are many). With 5 nights in CO, I would try a few destinations. 1st Breckenridge, Then a couple nights in Glenwood (Hot) Springs (Where you can see Vail and Aspen, Maroon Bells), loop back through Aspen / Independence Pass and down to Colo Springs (lots of free / fun / nice activities / Garden of God's...) at least one night at Broadmoor or https://gleneyrie.org/.

Denver... I would pass through in the night. You can always return later (If you must)

Head to the NICE spots. In Mid Summer, hike as early in morning as possible, Less crowds, more wildlife, as afternoons bring lightning and thunderstorms to Mountains (often everyday)... (good time for a honeymoon nap!) Then you can party late into the night and still be up and out for sunrise (early). Nothing like a Rocky Mountain morning (Fresh / crisp pine smell, BRIGHT colors / contrasts for photos / nice clouds. )

Old 09-26-2018, 12:36 PM

12,850 posts, read 24,511,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Denver... I would pass through in the night. You can always return later (If you must)

Maybe first night in Denver to try and get ahead of the altitude?

Old 09-26-2018, 03:05 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,704,055 times
Quote:
The fiance and I will be taking our honeymoon in Colorado, in July 2019. We want to do a lot of hiking and outdoorsy things, but want to be close enough that we can go shopping and to nice restaurants. I was looking at Estes park, but is that where the best hiking it? Can you recommend a city please? Thanks so much.
Yes, there is great hiking around Estes Park, but honestly there's great hiking all over the CO mountains.

In July, any place remotely close to Denver will be a madhouse on the weekend. If you have some flexibility, stay during the week and avoid mingling with the "weekend warrior" traffic from Denver (and probably Colorado Springs too?).

Telluride is a real jewel, one of the prettiest places in the west in my experience, but it's a long drive from Denver. Closer but with some really fantastic hiking possibilities is the Roaring Fork Valley, from Glenwood Springs down to the Aspen area.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:07 PM

91 posts, read 19,487 times
Dunton Hot Springs and Lizard Head Wilderness.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:36 AM

453 posts, read 184,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I would be looking at Aspen or Telluride.
Plus a bazillion. I would give the nod to Telluride. Best resort town in Colorado in my opinion.
Great scenery.
You can walk from town to world class hikes.
Two “towns” to explore: old town and mountain town with a free gondola in between.
Great hotels.
Great food.
A little higher class than say Estes Park and not as touristy, i.e. no smoking, fat folks from Nebraska. LOL.
Hop away from Ouray, Silverton.
Within a drive of Mesa Verde, Durango.
So much to see and do.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to for our outdoorsy, spring honeymoon in CO?-08fba217-9d01-48b7-843b-6fd5421243de.jpeg  

Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,849 posts, read 37,540,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Maybe first night in Denver to try and get ahead of the altitude?
YMMV,
don't think so (for me), there are a LOT of great Colorado places to WAKE UP and smell the fresh air, vs sleeping through pollution / noise of a city (Denver), than waking to the 'brown-cloud' and more traffic, rather than to a pristine morning in the mtns. .

I would rather 'altitude recover' in peace and quiet and beauty, than 'endure' a metro area just long enough to escape to Colorado.. .

In Colorado for 5 only days?
See / experience Colorado. (fly into COS / GJ for an even better 'Colorado experience'). Benefit... fly in at night, and drive direct to your scenic destination. (no traffic), not burning any daylight in the city, stuck in smog and traffic..

Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 PM

453 posts, read 184,406 times
Quote:
We will only be there for 5 nights. We will fly into Denver and rent a car. We will be thee July 21-26, 2019. We want to have a good time, but be affordable. Nice restaurants, etc. is crucial, but so is outdoorsy activities. I started doing some research about Breckenridge. What do yall think about this city?
Breck would be low on my list of places to go. Hiking is no hum. Restaurants are ho hum. It’s a ski resort with an over developed, mediocre town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado