U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:38 AM

21 posts, read 10,803 times

Advertisements

The fiance and I will be taking our honeymoon in Colorado, in July 2019. We want to do a lot of hiking and outdoorsy things, but want to be close enough that we can go shopping and to nice restaurants. I was looking at Estes park, but is that where the best hiking it? Can you recommend a city please? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM

349 posts, read 101,079 times
Estes Park is a beautiful, quaint mountain town with a nice little downtown and access to RMNP. It's a little over an hour to Boulder, and from there you're less than an hour to Denver itself.

You could do a lot worse.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:06 PM

794 posts, read 1,492,322 times
RMNP is a great place and Estes Park is a cute town. In July, however, it seems half the world is there. Getting into restaurants - even on weekdays - is a challenge. The shopping is touristy because, well, 95% of those present are tourists. Only the most remote trails will be uncrowded.

Good hiking is to be had many places, and yes, RMNP is high on many lists. But I think if all other things are equal (they never are, of course), I would prefer Durango. The downside may be the distance to Denver, of course, but it is slightly less crowded, a wider choice of good trails are at hand, and the quality of the restaurants and shopping are comparable to Estes Park.

If proximity to Denver is important you should at least consider the Colorado Springs area, maybe specifically Manitou Springs? And the Vail - Breckenridge area suggests itself.

On a related note, I myself honeymooned in the mountains many years ago, back when we had to be worried about mastodons on the trails. Our first night in the mountains was in Estes Park, where my bride of two days promptly came down with altitude sickness.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,792 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Where are you coming from? (and by which mode) Air, car, train...
What level hiking do you want to do?
Other interests?

Budget?
How many days in CO?

CO is pretty packed in July, and Estes Park is a popular spot for families (But has a wide variety of options for hiking and lodging and food)

For a QUIET honeymoon, consider Winter Park (ski centric, summer is not so busy), as it will not be as crowded, but not as many options for other entertainment.

We like Hot Springs, so Glenwood or Steamboat work for Colorado. and close to hiking.

We did our first week of honeymoon in Estes Park, then headed out for a month elsewhere. The cabin in Estes near the rippling stream was quite special. IIRC, it was above EP on Fall River Road, but before RMNP entrance. It's been 40 yrs, just met a San Diego Couple who spent their Honeymoon in EP, the same weekend 40 yrs ago.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:18 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Ouray

Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM

84,964 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Estes isn't quite as crowded during the week as it is on weekends, so it may be doable. Once you get a little farther out on the trail, there are fewer people around. The Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, about 1/2 hour from Estes, is fun and entertaining, with lots of neat restaurants. Don't plan on buying anything practical though. For that, you'll have to go to the 29th St. Mall in Boulder, or FlatIron Crossing Mall in Broomfield.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:22 PM

5,005 posts, read 6,681,120 times
If budget weren't an option I would consider Cloud Camp at the top of Cheyenne Mountain - owned by The Broadmoor. But if you want something kind of your own thing I think Estes could be a really nice choice. Crested Butte is supposed to be great that time of year also. If you want to do something different, check out St. Elmo.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:31 PM

6,529 posts, read 5,838,462 times
I would be looking at Aspen or Telluride.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,574,474 times
Telluride, that’s where we went for ours. Along with Aspen, Crested Butte, and Blackhawk, but nothing topped Telluride. Stayed at Hotel Madeline and can ride the gondola to town for free all day/evening.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Flying in, driving in, or taking train? Time you are planning to actually be in CO? Those can be significant factors on where you might want to consider going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado