U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colorado Voters: Who is your pick for the 2018 election?
Bill Hammons -- Unity Party 1 1.72%
Scott Helker -- Libertarian 1 1.72%
Jared Polis -- Democrat 35 60.34%
Walker Stapleton -- Republican 20 34.48%
Other / Write-in Candidate (care to tell us who it is?) 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

663 posts, read 346,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
LOL, yeah! I'm gay. One person actually came up to me today, at work, to ask if I was 'proud and excited' about our new governor. While her question was well-intentioned, I simply said, 'no.'

I didn't vote for him, though I hope he does a good job, for the sake of everyone who lives here! But on a more important level, there's more to me than that. I'm not going to vote for another gay person simply because I'm gay. I think like most people, many of us make decisions about voting based on who has the most compelling platform and who we think would do the best job vs something more trivial like sexual orientation.
Lol. You don’t like being treated like the rest of us. As a white man, If I vote for a man, it’s assumed I’m sexist, and if I vote for a white guy, it’s assumed I’m racist. Since I voted for a republican, I must be homophobic. Welcome to the PC SJW civil rights world the leftists have created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,484,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Lol. You donít like being treated like the rest of us. As a white man, If I vote for a man, itís assumed Iím sexist, and if I vote for a white guy, itís assumed Iím racist. Since I voted for a republican, I must be homophobic. Welcome to the PC SJW civil rights world the leftists have created.
Yea it sure is terrible we can't be sexist or racist anymore those darn SJWs ruining everything!!

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

12,857 posts, read 24,529,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
"Free Preschool"- PC-speak for free CHILDCARE (paid for by people who do NOT have kids).
Although I always vote D, I assume that a whole new benefit while regular education suffers is just not gonna happen. Don't care if Polis promised it. Not gonna happen and that's fine.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

382 posts, read 108,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I can only assume you don't have kids, or you'd have a clearer understanding of what Preschool actually is these days. Kindergarten is now considered an academic year, with kids expected to learn how to read by the time the finish that year, so yes, preschool has a large academic component to get them to readiness to be reading in kindergarten. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that, but it's reality. So no, Preschool and childcare are not synonymous any more than elementary school and childcare are the same thing.
If a kid doesn't at least have a basic reading knowledge by the time they start kindergarten then their parent(s) have done a pretty poor job.

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

357 posts, read 168,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
If a kid doesn't at least have a basic reading knowledge by the time they start kindergarten then their parent(s) have done a pretty poor job.
There you go- the best post of the day regarding this topic!

Lazy parents (glued to social media 24x7 maybe?) always expect the rest of society to raise their kids.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

6,595 posts, read 5,887,407 times
Quote:
. Do you have kids? When do you think kids start reading?

Quote:

Lazy parents (glued to social media 24x7 maybe?) always expect the rest of society to raise their kids.
Or they’re working 12 hour shifts at minimum wage trying to feed their kids?

Last edited by SkyDog77; Yesterday at 04:42 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

15,825 posts, read 8,817,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
I thought it was funny that the national news is going bonkers over that Polis is gay. Maybe I just didn't pay much attention to it, but ... I didn't even know that? It was a non-issue for me, and for a lot of people, I'm assuming. A good thing, imo, that it is a non-issue for Coloradans, meaning I imagine not many people made it a reason to vote for/against him.
Yes, I noticed that, too. I don't think most voters even thought twice about it.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

15,825 posts, read 8,817,679 times
Quote:
Please. I have three kids. One, the oldest, started reading competently at the end of the first grade. The second started reading competently in third grade. The youngest blew both of his older siblings out of the water and was reading well in kindergarten. All three were raised in a loving home with attentive parents who are regular readers. They were just each on their own schedule. Of note, the one who started reading in third grade is the most academically advanced of the three.

Last edited by randomparent; Yesterday at 04:46 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

21,163 posts, read 22,162,714 times
Quote:

When I started school in the 1960s (before social media and in a well educated household with a father who was a professional and a SAHM - pretty much everything people choose to remember when they idealize the 50s and early 60s), the "norm" was learning to read in first grade. Kindergarten was mainly learning ABCs, colors, shapes and how to be away from mom for 1/2 day and follow directions in a group setting.

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

19,115 posts, read 10,128,454 times
Yeah, it's pretty easy to figure out the non-parents and ignore what they have to say on this particular subject.

And Barry, as for elementary schools not adding preK, they literally do not have the space to add another grade. If a school has say 4 classrooms per grade level (a pretty average number), they don't have 4 empty classrooms to fit additional classes into.

Some DPS schools do offer ECE , but usually just one or two classrooms' worth, and there is always a waiting list. That's why they leverage existing preschool programs and help fund tuition for that via parental reimbursement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or