U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colorado Voters: Who is your pick for the 2018 election?
Bill Hammons -- Unity Party 1 1.72%
Scott Helker -- Libertarian 1 1.72%
Jared Polis -- Democrat 35 60.34%
Walker Stapleton -- Republican 20 34.48%
Other / Write-in Candidate (care to tell us who it is?) 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:45 PM

2,990 posts, read 6,243,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Amen. America doesn't need 3077 counties, plus thousands more incorporated cities, all with a full suite of elected officials determined to keep their kingdoms. I go back to EL Paso County where most of the population is within the city of COLO SPGS, yet there's a city and county government, plus all the other little city governments like Manitou Springs, Fountain, Monument, etc. So much duplication and overlap which, if eliminated, would bring sanity to a myriad of tax rates and services and free up a good deal of funds for the actual performance of services. Denver metro area has the same issue. It's a mess and no one tries to fix it while our 'leaders' argue over which 'gender' may pee in which restroom. Good grief.
In the days of high-speed transit, super highways, and fiber optic grids, our current divisions of government really make no sense. Most county boundaries were drafted in the 1800s when the rule of thumb was that the county seat should be no more than a full-day's journey away by buggy. Most school districts were drawn in the early 20th Century based on which one-room schoolhouse was closest. Colorado water law is hamstrung by flow rates determined in the 30s through state lines drawn by people who had literally 0 idea of the land they were dividing.

It is absolute madness that my house is in separate water, stormwater, and sewer districts, and my neighbors literally a block over have completely different water, stormwater, and sewer districts, yet we're in the same city, county, and school district with the same state representative, but somehow different state senators. It's almost as if governments in states like this were set up to fail (Texas is even worse). Yet even with all the nauseating inefficiency, these governments are able to provide more service to more people for cheaper than private utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 05:24 AM

4,351 posts, read 4,397,372 times
Quote:
My gripe with 'waste' in COLO schools is that places like El Paso County has at least 17 school districts. SEVENTEEN! This is just plain NUTS.

How much duplication is there in just this one county... 17+ chiefs, 17+ board staffs, 17+ sets of administrators, transportation directors, legal staff, dietitians for food programs, buyers, maintenance crews, planners, budgeters, the list goes on. No one seems to care about this needless duplication. People yack about "local control" but that's meaningless as Federal and State standards are primary guidelines and parents always have a belly button they can push in the principal's office at their kid's school.

Back in Fairfax County VA we had ONE school board for a county of over 1M people and their schools were nationally top-ten rated with people clamoring to live there for the sake of their kid's education. I lived there 30 years and we NEVER nixed a school bond issue which always passed with at least a 70% YES vote. We got what we paid for.

While I'm at it, why does COLO need 64 counties? SIXTY FOUR! Tremendous duplication and overlap. Just look at the map and it's obvious where many adjacent counties could be combined. This alignment from 100+ years ago is no longer relevant now that modern roads and communications allow much larger spans of control to eliminate redundancy. You can bet your ass Wal-Mart doesn't have 17 regional managers in El Paso County or 64 regional managers in Colorado.

If we want to cut waste and inefficiency in Colorado then I say that THIS is where to start and put the savings into the schools, roads, health departments, etc that actually serve people in the state.
I couldn't agree more.

For some reason, Government refuses to reinvent itself.

Remember "Zero Based budgeting?" In business we use that to justify the value of an organization or service. The idea is that if we don't get efficient, our competitor will force us out.

The problem with Government is that there is no competition. People will not voluntarily relinquish power.

Do we need 64 counties and zillions of school districts? Hell no!

But at age 69, I've run out of energy to to fight the system.

I hope the young people will take up the task. If it's going to be done, it needs to start first at the lowest levels of Government.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:04 PM

879 posts, read 431,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
In the days of high-speed transit, super highways, and fiber optic grids, our current divisions of government really make no sense. Most county boundaries were drafted in the 1800s when the rule of thumb was that the county seat should be no more than a full-day's journey away by buggy. Most school districts were drawn in the early 20th Century based on which one-room schoolhouse was closest. Colorado water law is hamstrung by flow rates determined in the 30s through state lines drawn by people who had literally 0 idea of the land they were dividing.

It is absolute madness that my house is in separate water, stormwater, and sewer districts, and my neighbors literally a block over have completely different water, stormwater, and sewer districts, yet we're in the same city, county, and school district with the same state representative, but somehow different state senators. It's almost as if governments in states like this were set up to fail (Texas is even worse). Yet even with all the nauseating inefficiency, these governments are able to provide more service to more people for cheaper than private utilities.
Especially when none of those tiny little administrative districts represent actual communities. When a small town in the middle of nowhere has a local government it makes sense, Nowhereville probably has some unique local issues and is too far from Bigtown to be unified... But when you have legislative districts, school districts, towns, and counties all overlapping each other with no rhyme or reason it's just silly. Local divisions should only exist in so far as they represent distinct geographic communities with unique needs.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,305,789 times
Quote:
Cowboy, I hear ya, but why vote for a party that we KNOW is intent on working against your interests and civil rights? That Polis won is a shot in the arm for strong civil rights for all in Colorado. All the other bickering over taxes, schools and roads is a case of how to skin the cat to get it done and not about tearing down schools or digging up roads.
Short, succinct, and the bottom line truth.

That's for cutting to the chase, Mike.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

19,136 posts, read 10,172,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
LOL, yeah! I'm gay. One person actually came up to me today, at work, to ask if I was 'proud and excited' about our new governor. While her question was well-intentioned, I simply said, 'no.'

I didn't vote for him, though I hope he does a good job, for the sake of everyone who lives here! But on a more important level, there's more to me than that. I'm not going to vote for another gay person simply because I'm gay. I think like most people, many of us make decisions about voting based on who has the most compelling platform and who we think would do the best job vs something more trivial like sexual orientation.
I'm the same way about women - I won't vote for someone simply because she's a woman if her policy positions are opposed to mine. But generally speaking, I am in enough agreement overall with one main party vs. the other that it's never really been an issue in terms of finding someone that I agree with on women's issues but significantly disagree with on other things.

Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

6,637 posts, read 5,913,380 times
Polis has announced his transition team:

https://coloradosun.com/2018/11/09/p...4f879-42961885
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or