U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 PM

84,992 posts, read 98,847,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
There are a tiny number of native Americans in Colorado.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Exactly! CO has a lower N/A population by percentage than average. The total N/A population in the US is about 2%. CO's N/A population is 1.59%.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/fact...cb15-ff22.html
http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...an-population/

Last edited by Yac; 10-05-2018 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 AM

183 posts, read 169,168 times
I think there are a lot more East Coasters in CO than one may imagine. They’re just more “under the radar” than Texans and Californians which tend to stand out more. But schools like Western State, Fort Lewis, and Colorado College are in many ways much more well known on the East Coast than they even are in Colorado, and they’re stuffed with East Coast trust funders. And their families own a lot of seasonal real estate out here too.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 AM

3,936 posts, read 1,483,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I think there are a lot more East Coasters in CO than one may imagine. They’re just more “under the radar” than Texans and Californians which tend to stand out more.
That's certainly the same old tired stereotype that many natives live by. Just keep up that wonderfully anti-Texan and Californian sentiment, and make yourselves look petty. Makes you feel good, huh?

Truth is, east coasters do stand out, and it's usually that they aren't into the passive-aggressive stuff. They are more vocal and open. But that's an inconvenient reality to look at, so let's just sweep it under the rug.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-04-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 08:52 AM

84,992 posts, read 98,847,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I think there are a lot more East Coasters in CO than one may imagine. They’re just more “under the radar” than Texans and Californians which tend to stand out more. But schools like Western State, Fort Lewis, and Colorado College are in many ways much more well known on the East Coast than they even are in Colorado, and they’re stuffed with East Coast trust funders. And their families own a lot of seasonal real estate out here too.
I don't know if people are counting me among the east coasters or not. I'm not from the coast; I'm from way western Pennsylvania which doesn't have a coastline anyway. However, I never heard of any of those schools when I was in high school back in PA.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,552,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomayo View Post
... from Eastern Europe living in America.
You will be happy to know there is a decent population from Hungary, former Yugoslavia, and Russia in Boulder.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 PM

16,178 posts, read 20,188,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
According to my graph that’s #2 behind California.

Skydog77 is right. I've known this all along, actually I've known this for a few decades. Looking at Western Colorado--

Regarding California--When Exxon pulled the plug on their massive oil shale operations, Colorado's western slope went into a recession that was every bit as nasty as the most recent one years ago. Mesa County went to 10% unemployment starting in 1983 and stayed that way for years. Grand Junction's daily paper is the Sentinel and once a week the classifieds showed the HUD listings for commercial properties as well as residential properties. By 1986 the HUD listings would basically fill up an entire page. By 1987-8 the listing would include "any reasonable offer." Reasonable to them? It didn't much matter to HUD unless you would try to bid $2000 on a three bedroom house.

Regarding Texas--In southwestern Colorado there has been a Texas presence in the Durango/Pagosa Springs/South Fork area clear back when I worked the summer of 1968 for the Forest Service as a road crew laborer and also did some school at Ft. Lewis College. Going forward to 1983, the economy certainly slowed down a bunch but didn't collapse like Mesa County did. Still, prices on residentials was really cheap as the GJ daily paper would show listings for pretty much all of western Colorado.

After living in Littleton for umpteen years and moving to western Colorado to stay around 1990, I got to know some people through a hobby antique trade show and one of them worked for the drivers license bureau. As the area was starting to fill up I asked him where everyone was coming from, he replied "California first, Texas second."

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-04-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 04:16 PM

4,080 posts, read 2,062,230 times
The Front Range boom in the early 1990s was very much a CA exodus. It even got the label “Californication” at that time.

LaVeta seems to be nothing but Texans and Oklahomans.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:49 PM

653 posts, read 342,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's certainly the same old tired stereotype that many natives live by. Just keep up that wonderfully anti-Texan and Californian sentiment, and make yourselves look petty. Makes you feel good, huh?

Truth is, east coasters do stand out, and it's usually that they aren't into the passive-aggressive stuff. They are more vocal and open. But that's an inconvenient reality to look at, so let's just sweep it under the rug.
I met people here from all over the country. None made much of a deal over where they were from.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:24 PM

183 posts, read 169,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

I'm originally from California. Whether you like it or not, what I said is very much true.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:53 AM

6,550 posts, read 5,852,214 times
Odds OP ever returns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or