U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 AM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
Today is my one year anniversary as a Coloradan ... lived in Aurora, Oct - Apr then moved to Boulder.
Drove the 25 hours from Maryland, just me and ADogNamedSam, in one shot, stopping only for water, Gatorade, coffee and relief.

Anecdotally, at my apartment's dog park I have met three different clusters of folks just freshly arrived (less than two months) from Maryland as well. I know it runs counter to the statistics but I just thought it was funny and worth mentioning.
So weird. There is a discussion in another thread about transplants from Maryland. I counted four off the top of my head (me*, Mike from back east, maciesmom, and gorges). You make five. I think there are others, too, who haven't yet piped up.

* I did not grow up in Maryland, but it was my last place of residence before moving to Colorado. My family has relocated several times over the past thirty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 11:37 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Well, CO has over 5.6 million people and 75% of those live in the Front Range, and 50% of those people are all transplants. So within that 2 million person slice, odds are there are more than a few Maryland transplants.

FWIW, we've been teasing Texans here for most of the 20th century. It has been a mostly friendly rivalry that even manifested itself in the annual CO-TX tomato wars for a time last century that has been resurrected occasionally this century. Most of the early relocation here was driven by similarly conservative ideology between the two states which lead to a lot of CO recreational second homes for TX residents along with a high percentage of permanent transplants. As CO politics evolve, this migration has slowed some, but they are still a high percentage of new residents.

The CA influx was slightly different as this was driven by a lot of high tech corporate manufacturing expansion that also brought staff with them but many of these corporations also brought a lot of high paying jobs for locals with them. Since then, quite a few of the local jobs have evaporated but the influx of remote workers from CA continues, leaving out a higher percentage of local primary employment out of the growth and instead turning the new influx into a change of secondary employment in services while real estate prices have continued to escalate.

We did see a lot of east coast in-migration in the 70-80 as tech boomed. Companies like Digital Equipment and others brought a large number of transplants who wanted to escape the density and costs of the east coast.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:47 AM

3,902 posts, read 1,474,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
FWIW, we've been teasing Texans here for most of the 20th century. It has been a mostly friendly rivalry that even manifested itself in the annual CO-TX tomato wars for a time last century that has been resurrected occasionally this century.
And yet TX - like CA, AZ, FL, etc. (the main states of incoming transplants) - is also in the top 5 states of people leaving Colorado. It's not like the flow from TX (and the others) results in a continuous accumulation.

So, nearly as many come from those states and leave to them. In the end, they're just states of higher flux and dynamism.

A lot of attention goes into them coming here, while them leaving (and especially going back to the same states) is kept quiet.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:15 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
And yet TX - like CA, AZ, FL, etc. (the main states of incoming transplants) - is also in the top 5 states of people leaving Colorado. It's not like the flow from TX (and the others) results in a continuous accumulation.

So, nearly as many come from those states and leave to them. In the end, they're just states of higher flux and dynamism.

A lot of attention goes into them coming here, while them leaving (and especially going back to the same states) is kept quiet.
This leads me to believe that much of this movement is job related, lots of tech jobs in the major cities
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:41 PM

601 posts, read 838,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The Front Range boom in the early 1990s was very much a CA exodus. It even got the label “Californication” at that time.

You are correct, sir. I attended CU mid-90s. Seemed like just about everyone I met had just moved from CA.
A lot of people at CU were from NY and NJ.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Actually it DOES result in a continuous accumulation. While a percentage always passes through and returns to where they are from, there is always a percentage that stay behind. A simple review of the states population records proves this out. Decade over decade, CO's population has only risen and has typically done so at a pace over the natural birth rate.

This isn't some great conspiracy to market CO to the masses so we can suck the life out of them. While you didn't find your bliss here, quite a few people do and are very happy to stay.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 AM

7,047 posts, read 15,990,548 times
Just before we left Parker, we did notice a lot of California license plates. This was in 2007. When we were in Loveland, and the area, this past July, all we heard was how much people like, even loved, living in both the Loveland area and Colorado. Actually, from what I remember, nobody even told us where they moved there from or if they were born there and have just stayed. Only, how much they liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or