U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2018, 06:43 PM
 
2,846 posts, read 3,576,937 times
Reputation: 2172

Advertisements

Helena MT is at 3,800 feet in town. Average highs in peak of summer are in low 80s. Gets an average of 15 days above 90 degrees per year.


Kalispell MT is at about 3,000 feet but slightly cooler.


Are you concerned with winter? If so, how much will you accept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,800 posts, read 21,727,324 times
Reputation: 13401
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
By low elevation mean perhaps <5500 ft. I like cool summers but not extremely thin air. SW Washington State has them but its a bit far from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Not
No
No.
No.
No
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
no thanks.
You're welcome.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-08-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 12:13 PM
 
2,846 posts, read 3,576,937 times
Reputation: 2172
Craig CO is at 6200 feet. 2 months in low to mid 80s. A historcal average of 12 days over 90 degrees but it might be increasing.


Trinidad is just over 6,000 feet. 3 months in low to mid 80s. 23 days above 90. Just west of there is prettier, a bit higher, a bit cooler. Walsenburg, similar.


Norwood is at 7,000 feet. 2 months in low 80s. 6 days over 90. Slightly west of there would be a little lower, a little warmer. Nucla / Naturita is too low / hot for you.


Pagosa Springs is at about 7100 feet. 2 months in low 80s. 3 days on average over 90. Just south of town would progressively lower and warmer.


Bottom line, you can get close to what you asked for. If you are willing to bend a bit.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-09-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Na'alehu Hawaii/Buena Vista Colorado
4,678 posts, read 9,246,535 times
Reputation: 4602
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You really are looking at the wrong region to have cool summers at lower elevations.

West coast is your best bet.
Agree.

Case in point: In Newport Oregon, the summers are cool, dry, and mostly clear and the winters are cold, wet, windy, and mostly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 41F to 65F and is rarely below 32F or above 72F. Elevation 134' above sea level.

I just chose Newport as an example. Plenty of lovely other towns along the entire coast. Too bad winters are mostly cloudy, but I still love the whole coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
49 posts, read 21,139 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Basically, inland = colder lows and hotter highs, all else being equal. In maritime areas the sea moderates temperature changes.

Going to higher altitude lowers the highs but then winters would be colder also.
Coming from the northeast.. the summers are not "mild" there either. Sometimes 75 degrees is unpleasant. And the moderation of temperatures means it doesn't cool off at night for most of 3 months. Front Range summers are "milder" in that regard.

An oceanic climate such as the UK seems to fit what OP is looking for though. Or possibly some parts of Canada along either coast. Aside from the few places already mentioned (Pacific Northwest.. and MN? Never been, but I've been told that their summers can be as bad as the east coast), most of the mainland US doesn't fit that profile. Maybe parts of Alaska? But if WA is too far away....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 09:32 PM
 
4,381 posts, read 2,226,136 times
Reputation: 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Craig CO is at 6200 feet. 2 months in low to mid 80s. A historcal average of 12 days over 90 degrees but it might be increasing.


Trinidad is just over 6,000 feet. 3 months in low to mid 80s. 23 days above 90. Just west of there is prettier, a bit higher, a bit cooler. Walsenburg, similar.


Norwood is at 7,000 feet. 2 months in low 80s. 6 days over 90. Slightly west of there would be a little lower, a little warmer. Nucla / Naturita is too low / hot for you.


Pagosa Springs is at about 7100 feet. 2 months in low 80s. 3 days on average over 90. Just south of town would progressively lower and warmer.


Bottom line, you can get close to what you asked for. If you are willing to bend a bit.
Eighties is not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 PM
 
4,381 posts, read 2,226,136 times
Reputation: 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHitsAWall View Post
Coming from the northeast.. the summers are not "mild" there either. Sometimes 75 degrees is unpleasant. And the moderation of temperatures means it doesn't cool off at night for most of 3 months. Front Range summers are "milder" in that regard.

An oceanic climate such as the UK seems to fit what OP is looking for though. Or possibly some parts of Canada along either coast. Aside from the few places already mentioned (Pacific Northwest.. and MN? Never been, but I've been told that their summers can be as bad as the east coast), most of the mainland US doesn't fit that profile. Maybe parts of Alaska? But if WA is too far away....
You must have missed my comments that the WEST coast would fit the need for cool summers. All comments following pertained to THE WEST. No mention of east coast at all, and that is intentional. I lived in New England for thirty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 PM
 
2,846 posts, read 3,576,937 times
Reputation: 2172
I gave the best fit cases I could find close to meeting the criteria.


80s are not cool; but low 80s and low humidity are better than hotter and / or more humid places. Especially with a breeze.


It appears the OP lives in El Paso at least part of the year and may be trying to find a escape from that level of not cool. 5 months average 88 or higher. 108 days above 90, often pushing 100 or over it. And often muggy in summer. Compared to that, the places I mentioned are relatively cooler. By a meaningful margin. I'd say.


Many of my neighbors in SW Colorado are Texans who also think the difference is significant and desirable. In Durango in July it will pass 75 around noon or a bit later (according to Weatherspark). In El Paso in July it happens around 8am. You can use the mornings here even if a low 80s afternoon is not as appealing.


I'm higher up and usually a good amount cooler. Very rarely get a 90 degree day and more summer days top out in 70s than 80s. Elevation works for me in summer. Not as well in winter... but have tolerated it so far.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-09-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,068 posts, read 38,036,687 times
Reputation: 21238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Agree.

Case in point: In Newport Oregon, the summers are cool, dry, and mostly clear and the winters are cold, wet, windy, and mostly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 41F to 65F and is rarely below 32F or above 72F. Elevation 134' above sea level.

I just chose Newport as an example. Plenty of lovely other towns along the entire coast. Too bad winters are mostly cloudy, but I still love the whole coast.
Quote:
I like cool summers but not extremely thin air. SW Washington State has them but its a bit far from me.
If OP cannot do thin air (Elevation) or COLD... then CO is OUT of the picture (after age 80... My mom had to relocate from CO to ELP to be able to breath).

Cool summers and NEAR ELP is best had in Ruidoso NM (1.5 hr), then... Cochise mtns of SE AZ (4 hrs), Northern AZ (Show Low)(6 hrs) would be a good choice.

OR / WA coast is worth a look. Stay close proximity to PDX..., and DEN or ELP is a 2 - 3 hr flt. Frontier runs $39 'bear den' fares. SWA is $49 - $59 on select dates, or $99 average (one way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 01:26 AM
 
2,846 posts, read 3,576,937 times
Reputation: 2172
Ruidoso at 7,100 feet and ShowLow at 6,400 are a little high but that is what it takes to get mild unless far north or near coast. Cochise Mtns are hot (80-90 days above 90 days above 90) unless you get up very high.


Too far for you but Bend OR, 3,700 feet, 2 months in low 80s. Typically 13 days above 90 but hotter than normal this summer.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-10-2018 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top