U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:55 PM

76 posts, read 16,412 times

Advertisements

Meerame I greened you a suggestion but wanted to add to it.
My town is VERY social. Very united.
1 hr from skiing.
Cycling & Hiking is HUGE here
We are surrounded by National Forest.
Numerous large lakes within 10 min
Resorts & campgrounds.
Snowy winters
Good chance your husband's already visited here if he's a Mountain Biker

If you can work from home part of the time, it's great.
Otherwise the commuting is likely- at least 30 min to as long as 1 hr 30 min
It is less expensive, by far, to live here than the Bay Area
Cycling straight from the house is par to the course here
Endless routes/trails/roads
It's so beautiful here
If you are recreation oriented, you'll love it
Very safe here

Last edited by JasmineBunker; 10-15-2018 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 01:34 PM

26 posts, read 7,480 times
Hi Jasmine. I'm a bit dense when it comes to managing this site - you greened me a suggestion? Although I assume you mean Truckee?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,547,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerame View Post
... Although I assume you mean Truckee?
When you asked about moving to Longmont/Boulder a few weeks ago I almost suggested the general Lake Tahoe area. Depending on what you are looking for places like Truckee or just into Nevada could be perfect.

btw, I think you would be happy in Colorado. I just think you might like the Tahoe area better. I hope that helps.

ETA: A lot of people in the Boulder area talk about moving to Truckee, Bend, Boise, Moab, or Flagstaff for lower cost of living and an easier lifestyle. That's why I thought of Truckee originally.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 PM

Oh, okay. I would love Tahoe actually. But the husband does not want to be in a full on winter situation. That is why the front range in Colorado is top of our list. We are considering Folsom, CA too. But I think we rather have 3-4 months of cold weather vs. 3 months of intense heat. We did visit CO this past weekend and Louisville is now top of the list.

I am not sure about Nevada, but my husband has a friend who just moved to Carson City and there is mtn bike discussion on another site about Reno being a great area right now. Maybe I'll explore that further. Need to see housing prices and how the schools rate.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:31 PM

84,959 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Oh, okay. I would love Tahoe actually. But the husband does not want to be in a full on winter situation. That is why the front range in Colorado is top of our list. We are considering Folsom, CA too. But I think we rather have 3-4 months of cold weather vs. 3 months of intense heat. We did visit CO this past weekend and Louisville is now top of the list.

I am not sure about Nevada, but my husband has a friend who just moved to Carson City and there is mtn bike discussion on another site about Reno being a great area right now. Maybe I'll explore that further. Need to see housing prices and how the schools rate.
Has "the husband" researched the winter weather situation in the Front Range?

Old 10-19-2018, 06:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,773 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
and ran the 'tax-implications' of NV vs, CO.
Important during your 'earning years'.

NV may mean a 10 yr earlier 'retirement'. (or not). Wages can be higher in NV depending on his field.

Both places are decent for biking in winter,

Old 10-22-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ha, ha - he lived in the front range in the early 90s, so he (we) know. It will be an adjustment for sure though. But we are both looking forward to being at least 2 hours closer to skiing, downhill and nordic.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and ran the 'tax-implications' of NV vs, CO.
Important during your 'earning years'.

NV may mean a 10 yr earlier 'retirement'. (or not). Wages can be higher in NV depending on his field.

Both places are decent for biking in winter,
Husband will hopefully be taking his current job with him, but he is a software developer and the job opps in Colorado is one reason we are leaning toward there in case things do not work out in the long run. Reno while appears to be growing and has lots of CA implants as well, does not look as promising.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:20 AM

6,521 posts, read 5,834,111 times
Quote:
Husband will hopefully be taking his current job with him, but he is a software developer and the job opps in Colorado is one reason we are leaning toward there in case things do not work out in the long run. Reno while appears to be growing and has lots of CA implants as well, does not look as promising.
I do a lot of work in Reno and agree with the above. It is a lot better, but Denver is a much, much bigger city with many more jobs.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:31 AM

84,959 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugoi View Post
Out of your list, Id be most concerned about schools. Good districts here are few and far between, and youll be paying a lot more in housing to live near a good school in a good district. Our education funding is really low compared to most other states.
I disagree, particularly in the metro Denver area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or