Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:44 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You could request a mail in ballot before, but 2014 was the first year that was the default method of voting where they automatically sent out ballots to all registered voters.
Interesting. I've always gotten a mail-in ballot and wasn't aware of any other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:51 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Interesting. I've always gotten a mail-in ballot and wasn't aware of any other options.
You would have opted in when you registered, which was an option before 2014. You didn't have to request an absentee ballot like in most states, you had the choice to just give yourself a mail in ballot status if you wanted and you automatically got mailed a ballot for every election. I actually resisted doing that because I enjoy the process of going in person and voting and have always taken the kiddo with me.

I don't know for sure when that option started, but I'm thinking maybe 2008, because I remember waiting in line for a really long time in 2006 for in person voting (right after I moved here), with my parents who I know switched to mail in ballots after that.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:48 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You would have opted in when you registered, which was an option before 2014. You didn't have to request an absentee ballot like in most states, you had the choice to just give yourself a mail in ballot status if you wanted and you automatically got mailed a ballot for every election. I actually resisted doing that because I enjoy the process of going in person and voting and have always taken the kiddo with me.

I don't know for sure when that option started, but I'm thinking maybe 2008, because I remember waiting in line for a really long time in 2006 for in person voting (right after I moved here), with my parents who I know switched to mail in ballots after that.
Yeah I remember voting at a local elementary school, and one year I think it was at the Citadel Mall for some reason and the lines were really long. I've been doing mail-in for quite a few years now, though - although like you I prefer to drop it off.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I find the blue book to be helpful. Filled out my ballot last night and as always, I enjoy the write-ups about the various judges who are up for retention. Obviously I don't think about or even really know who all of the judges are, but at least the blurbs are something to start with, and in the case of one judge on my ballot here in Jefferson County who seemed 'below average' according to the blue book, I researched a bit more before making a decision.

I drop my ballot off at an official collection box as well vs. worrying about whether or not I put enough postage on the envelope.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:28 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
I filled out my two sheet ballot, sealed and signed the envelope. While the info sheet said the postage would be 70 cents or so, I took it to the local UPS store and they charged me $1.18 in postage. I wonder if I had just put two stamps on it, if it would have come back "Insufficient Postage" ? Maybe the UPS store charges more, and takes a cut of the fee ? The forty cents won't kill me but I thought I'd pass it along in case someone knows "the story behind the story" ... glad to see the interest here in voting !

A bit surprised the envelope didn't come pre-paid. If ever there was a good reason to supply a pre-paid envelope, this would be that application, IMO ...

Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Assuming it was 2 oz or less, it should be 71 cents - a forever stamp (currently 50 cents) plus 21 cents for the additional ounce. You got ripped off.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Instead of mailing it in, find your local drop-off box. Ours is at the library - 2 miles from our house.

Just Vote Colorado

Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Takes .71 cents for proper postage. Good chance it doesn't get delivered with insufficient postage.

Just say to no to everything and cancel out someone else's vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: