Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:22 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Interesting that there were several posts of criticism for Dave saying to vote a straight D ticket, yet, this comment about voting a straight R ticket draws no similar criticism.

If straight ticket is wrong, then it's wrong on both sides, no?
I was just responding to breathless TDS, but I have my reasons to mistrust the actions of an idiology based on their tactics and abuse of power wrt our academia, media, "intelligence" community, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Phil P,
Where the wells are being proposed is the problem. They are trying to put them in Anthem in Broomfield and North Thornton. They are being put next to the cities planned water reservoirs and inside the 470 beltway....
Well thank you for the information on this. Didn't know all that.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:32 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
That's really asinine reasoning for passing it. "We've gotta pass it before we can see how much damage it does."

If it passes and school funding takes a hit, you damn well better not expect taxpayers to pick up the tab. If that happens I'll be a staunch "no" on every educational tax increase. The anti-tax crowd and the O&G folks will have a field day reminding everyone that 112 was to blame.
112 doesn't affect any existing wells or permitted wells so I don't really see where they are getting their idea that school funding takes a hit. It is business as usual for the existing 50,000 wells.

There also isn't an impact to existing jobs. The people who actually work on the 50,000 active wells will go to work as usual and the taxes/revenue from the wells will still be flowing. The oil and gas lobbyist who fight with the cities may have to move to other states to ply their trade. I think the reason oil and gas is fighting this so hard is the precedent it will set for other states who also want to protect the health of their citizens.

Waiting isn't an option for people who are getting permits approved near their homes. There was a meeting today where the oil and gas industry is trying to get 350 new permits approved prior to the election.
https://www.westword.com/news/propos...ction-10941049
The postponement was requested and denied to try and get it put off until after the election. Every day 112 isn't approved is a day where more permits have the opportunity to get approved and wells/fracking can be located close to homes.

112 also doesn't apply to federal lands so there is plenty of places for new wells.

Don't think because you don't back to a park that you couldn't have fracking under your home. They drill a vertical well and then up to a mile horizontal. My big worry with this is the potential for earthquakes. I tried to buy earthquake insurance for my home and it was very expensive with a $35,000 deductible. I ended up not getting it.

This article provides a good balanced overview of the issues and provides more realistic view of the numbers than you see in the ads from the oil and gas industry regarding 112.
https://www.coloradoindependent.com/...llot-election/

For example this is part of the discussion regarding jobs:
"U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics show that direct employment in mining and logging, which includes the oil and gas sector, make up only about 30,400 jobs — roughly one percent of Colorado’s workforce. In comparison: The state’s growing recreation and tourism industry employs more than 350,000 people.

The ripple effect will be felt on Main Street, but the intensity of those effects might be overstated, said School of Mines economist Ian Lange, who reviewed the Common Sense Policy Roundtable report before its release.

Unlike 30 or 40 years ago, the state’s economy has grown more diverse and less reliant on the energy sector.

Case in point: When the oil price dropped in 2014 and 2015, Colorado’s economy overall continued to hum along, as the 9News Truth Test recently pointed out. But that wasn’t the case everywhere: Weld County, for example, got hit hard by the downturn and just recently bounced back to ranking among the top big counties in the country for job growth.

Currently, Colorado’s unemployment rate of 2.9 percent as of August 2018 is among the lowest in the nation. In that month alone, the economy added 1,500 jobs.

Less drilling means fewer jobs, but some of that capital and labor is then “freed up to do something else,” Lange said. “Denver has such a dynamic economy, somebody else is going to pick up those resources whereas in the ’80s we might have gone idle.”"

Old 10-30-2018, 08:59 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Again, you can post all the pro-112 propaganda you like, you aren't changing my position. If school funding is adversely impacted by your ideological tinkering I'll never vote for a school tax increase again, and I'll openly stump for the opposition. Taxpayers should NOT be guilted into opening their wallets to rectify the consequences of your actions.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-30-2018 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Here is a good source:

If you work hard and get ahead financially, the Liberals will take your money and redistribute it. If you dont make much, you will benefit from those that take risks opening their own businesses and have become successful.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:46 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Here is a good source:

If you work hard and get ahead financially, the Liberals will take your money and redistribute it. If you dont make much, you will benefit from those that take risks opening their own businesses and have become successful.
That’s a statement, not a source.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:58 PM

Voted no on 112 after speaking to some Dems i know well in local government. They are all opposed.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:15 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Voted no on 112 after speaking to some Dems i know well in local government. They are all opposed.
Can you share their reasons for opposing 112 that convinced you?

Old 10-31-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Can you share their reasons for opposing 112 that convinced you?
First I think it’s important to say that I consider myself to be very pro environment and believe that the oil and gas companies are out of control under the Trump administration. The Dems I spoke to share my beliefs in this.

It really came down to 112 going too far. 2500 feet doesn’t sound like a lot, but in reality to be half a mile from any occupied building or area designated as “vulnerable” does severely limit available sites to the point of being a major detriment. Polis is big time anti fracking and he opposes this initiative. It’s intent is right, but it’s too extreme. One of the most grounded people I know who is involved with local politics said not just no, but hard no.

A couple of other things I got from my conversation:

74 is a train wreck and Oregon basically had to let the entire system collapse before they could fix it when they passed a similar measure.

109 is put forward by Libertarian wingnut, Jon Caldera. It’s intent is to defund public schools and healthcare to pay for roads. It’s polling well because of how it’s worded, but it will be disastrous for the state. I’d urge you all to no vote 109 and yes vote 110 if you really want to fix the roads.

I split my ticket (sorry Dave) and voted for Wayne Williams. He’s not political and does a very good job. Jena Griswold is highly political and not at all qualified for the job.

I only voted on one of the judges, Morris Hoffman. I was on a jury about a decade ago and he was the judge. The guy was awesome.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-31-2018 at 08:06 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 07:55 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Both Polis and Stapleton are against 112.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado