U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 AM

355 posts, read 101,806 times

Advertisements

Seems like there is a dearth of meaningful information about the candidates, the ones on my ballot at least. Half don't even have websites, or else they are not very informative. I'm not interested in where they were born or went to school or that they have three beautiful children or what their hobbies are, I want to know where they stand on individual issues.

Is there any website with decent information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 AM

330 posts, read 199,429 times
When I visited my son in Grand Junction in September, he showed me a book (100+ pages) explaining who the candidates and issues were, as well as where they stand on each issue. He received it in the mail. I've gotta think this book is available somewhere.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Have you tried ballotpedia.org? I found information on at least some of the candidates there. Sometimes they didn't have a lot but had Google searches that brought up more. Also - check their names on Facebook - many have campaign pages there that don't necessarily come up in a search engine.

Last edited by otowi; 10-23-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
When I visited my son in Grand Junction in September, he showed me a book (100+ pages) explaining who the candidates and issues were, as well as where they stand on each issue. He received it in the mail. I've gotta think this book is available somewhere.
Light blue cover? I have that, it does a good job of explaining the ballot initiatives and amendments but has nothing on the candidates (except for the judges)

Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 PM

13,115 posts, read 18,723,211 times
Easy. Vote D across the board.
You will feel clean.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:05 PM

431 posts, read 177,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You will feel clean.
And emotional.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 AM

92 posts, read 141,517 times
Quote:
You will feel clean.
I'm a staunch liberal, but this is wreckless and misguided advice. In my county I voted for two local republicans and one independent because they were far and away the better candidates in their respective races.

Anyone who votes purely on party lines is directly responsible for the mess our country is in today. Yes, convictions and beliefs should absolutely influence your vote, but so too should qualification and integrity. Blindly voting for a candidate because of their party affiliation without doing any independent research is irresponsible and lazy.

Any functional and healthy government has to be guided by mutual respect, compromise, and a willingness to work across the aisle. Partisanship is a cancer that leads only to corruption and incompetence.

I don't care where you are ideologically, please don't blindly vote on party lines.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:50 PM

13,115 posts, read 18,723,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I'm a staunch liberal, but this is wreckless and misguided advice....
Is not.
The GOP has become the party of hate.
It deserves to die a fiery death at the ballot box.

For 48 years of voting, I researched candidates and voted for Republicans and Libertarians many times.
No more!
I will never vote for a GOP again.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:20 PM

92 posts, read 141,517 times
Quote:
Is not.

For 48 years of voting, I researched candidates and voted for Republicans and Libertarians many times.
No more!
I understand why you feel that way, and I too can't stand the Republican Party or Donald Trump. However, I can't see how my county clerk's opinion on abortion or immigration has any bearing whatsoever on their daily duties if they never make it a point to bring them up. My county sheriff is not a legislator, nor a judge, nor a political activist. If they're more competent than their Democratic opponent, are fair and follow the law, why should I care if they voted for Trump or not? If my county commissioner candidate is an independent, but is more forward-thinking and motivated than the incumbent Democrat, why is that a bad thing for me to vote for them? I refuse to make my county government more dysfunctional or less competent for the sake of voting for all Democrats across the board.

Also, by decrying everyone who identifies as a Republican as a hate monger or bigot you're doing more harm than good for the Democrats and liberal causes in general. If you want to do your part to encourage people to turn away from the GOP and Trump you need to extend an olive branch rather than declare them the enemy.

I look forward to putting this modern political hellscape behind us and getting back to a functional government. And that will be a government that's going to require more than just Democrats. We have to come together as a country, not retreat even further into our tribes.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Is not.

No more!
There is plenty of hate and intolerance from the Democrats. I agree with interloper1138 that voting along party lines without bothering to educate yourself about individual candidates is incredibly irresponsible. I consider myself a small-l libertarian, so that is not an option for me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or