Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Cin Cin started this thread

72 posts, read 307,211 times

Advertisements

Anyone...we made an offer on a beautiful home in FC...just found out house had major heave issues in 1999...due to poor/improper drainage....4 inch gap in basement happened and major cracks happened throughout house. Supposedly french drainage done and new foundation poured in basement and garage...there was a 130,000 dollar estimate of damage things that needed to be redone...waiting to see what has been done. Apparently bad fill in near foundation etc...improper soils used to fill in. Should we pull out of this deal..still possible to...or is this common w/expansive soils and if repaired properly should I not be worried? Feeling sick about this. Cin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 10:43 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,955,273 times
I know you're in love with this house, but I'd RUN away from this deal..here's why. It may be that everything is fine now, but more than likely some problems will continue despite the repairs. A rainy season with exceptional rains and a period of real wetness may reveal other issues not caught by the repairs and you could end up with water seepage and then mold issues...it goes on.
And, if you ever sell in the future, you're going to face buyers with inspectors who may or may not agree with the conclusion of the current inspectors and you might be stuck with a house you cannot sell.
I would never put the bulk of my wealth in a home that starts out with issues. It's just not worth the possible consequences.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,181,881 times
I agree. I'd pull out of this deal ASAP.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM

26,112 posts, read 48,706,745 times
Thumbs down Bad Deal

I'm not an expert...but still...my advice....is....RUN! (don't walk) to the nearest exit.

Even if you lose your deposit, but you should be able to get it back.

IMO, this is a disaster waiting to happen, no need to buy a knowingly problematic house....

My sister back in Maryland knows a doctor who's brand new house here in Colorado Springs was condemned after only one year of occupancy due to this problem.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:26 PM

2,266 posts, read 7,300,149 times
Definitely RUN away from this one. Think of it this way, they had to disclose the situation to you, and when you go to sell the property, you'll have to disclose it as well.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks to everyone for confirming what i unfortunately already felt. Sadly we have no back up plan and have already invested 1600 dollars on trips from az back and forth....oh well 4 kids floating around homeless should be okay!HA! Okay..not really funny...too bad no one told us how bad it was before we drove back to AZ..I have less than 3 weeks to get out of AZ and no home. What I will ask everyone for right now is prayers and lots of them even if you don"t normally believe in prayer. Someday I will laugh about all of this...I hope!Thank you all for your imput...we have only lost the raidon inspection money and the 800 dollar trip...and our minds(okay that is the really bad part!) Cindy

Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,955,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Thanks to everyone for confirming what i unfortunately already felt. Sadly we have no back up plan and have already invested 1600 dollars on trips from az back and forth....oh well 4 kids floating around homeless should be okay!HA! Okay..not really funny...too bad no one told us how bad it was before we drove back to AZ..I have less than 3 weeks to get out of AZ and no home. What I will ask everyone for right now is prayers and lots of them even if you don"t normally believe in prayer. Someday I will laugh about all of this...I hope!Thank you all for your imput...we have only lost the raidon inspection money and the 800 dollar trip...and our minds(okay that is the really bad part!) Cindy
Cindy, the good thing is that you won't be paying tens of thousands of dollars going forward in repair costs that come up! It's a booger you lose the money spent on inspections...but I did too when I made an offer on a home on ten acres in July of 05. As I got further into the deal I realized I was making a deal on a lemon. The appraisal came in significantly lower than the agreed upon contract, so I used that as my excuse to back out as they wouldn't come down in price (thank goodness!). I lost my well/septic inspection and house inspection money, plus the cost of an appraisal...but it's the best money I've ever lost as I'd have bought a nightmare had I gone through with it. I can recommend Extended Stay America motels too. I lived in one for seven months while looking for the home I eventually bought. They're very nice, good conditions, and it's not bad for temporary living. Just be glad you're getting away from a situation where'd you'd lose sleep, money and be in a neverending money pit!

Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks MoMark....sleep is so very important! Gotta always look at the big picture...still have my family and I feel this all is pulling us closer together. God Bless. Cindy

Old 12-14-2006, 07:21 PM

26,112 posts, read 48,706,745 times
Default Calling all REALTORS....

Question for our realtor pals on this list....

Would a "Buyer's Broker" have saved CIN the trouble and anguish she has just gone through....

My understanding is that a Buyer's Broker, hired specifically to work FOR a buyer and NOT a seller, would've known of these defects, and any other issues that might be objectionable, whether required by disclosure or not, before CIN put any money into the deal.

Is this the case or just wishful thinking on my part....

s/Mike

Old 12-14-2006, 08:22 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,161,953 times
That is a good question, I know that when we buy our house we hope that the realtor will be able to tell us the good with the bad. You are a big help when it come to questions like this. Great job!!! Mike from back east, I will check back to see if you get an answer. Thanks for the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Question for our realtor pals on this list....

Would a "Buyer's Broker" have saved CIN the trouble and anguish she has just gone through....

My understanding is that a Buyer's Broker, hired specifically to work FOR a buyer and NOT a seller, would've known of these defects, and any other issues that might be objectionable, whether required by disclosure or not, before CIN put any money into the deal.

Is this the case or just wishful thinking on my part....

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: