U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 250 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently got married and have been searching for a place to start our life together. We are an older couple, late 40's and we are looking for a place we can work and eventually retire in. We have narrowed our search down to a couple locations. Tops on my list is Grand Junction, Colorado. I have lived in Wichita, Kansas City, San Diego Ca. Silverthorn Co. Denver and Littleton. I have hiked and camped all over the mountains in Colorado and I love the western slope.

My questions for you is how is the economy in Grand Junction? It seems from afar that it is gradually growing again. The growth seems to be steady which indicates a good economy. What is the job market and real estate market like in Grand Junction? From what I can tell by watching Craigslist and Indeed, it's still a bit slow. My wife is an Accounts Payable and Receivable clerk as well as an Admin Assistant. I worked as a service technician for the automotive industry for 20 years, was a service advisor and a service manager for 7 years but have since ventured into Home Inspections and have my own business. We both feel like we have a good variety of skills to help in our search for employment but we are nervous about making the leap of faith to Grand Junction.

Any insight you can provide for us will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 PM

13,119 posts, read 18,731,431 times
You are not cool enough
https://coloradosun.com/2018/10/24/g...new-residents/

Old 10-26-2018, 10:55 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,115,168 times
There have been a couple of recent threads about Grand Junction. Do you know how to do a forum search?

Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 AM

433 posts, read 178,959 times
Here is the other GJ thread

Need Current Info on Grand Junction

Housing starts are at record levels. Prices for RE are going up. There are shortages of construction labor according the the Grand Junction Sentinel.

The town has been a laggard during the economic expansion and now seems to be on the verge of being “discovered”.

We go out there from time to time and really like the Colorado National Monument, McCinnis Canyons, the wineries, downtown is cute and filled with good restaurants. They are cleaning up some of the old mills and building a new mixed use development along the river.
There still are some scruffy areas, but it’s a far better town than some of the other more temperate climate areas in state.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 AM

10,544 posts, read 11,637,607 times
It's HOT and windy in summer and can be the coldest place in winter due to inversion. It's the desert, if you like that sort of thing.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,459,975 times
Dave Barnes' link is a fresh perspective. But I'd still review dozens or hundreds of past threads for further background.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It's HOT and windy in summer and can be the coldest place in winter due to inversion. It's the desert, if you like that sort of thing.
You could say this about almost any place in Colorado below 6000 feet.

Old Today, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 250 times
Thanks for the replies. And yes Dreaming of Hawaii, i did check a lot of forum posts before posting my own. Most of the posts I found did not answer the questions I had or they were from several years ago. A lot has changed in Colorado since i moved away in 2014. The links Cheesehead and DaveBarnes provided were exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate your help. We plan on making a trip out next month to have a look around.

Old Today, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 250 times
Au contraire. We actually may be way too cool for Grand Junction. I'm a Gen Xer that plays well with millennials. I think we can hang.

Old Today, 09:26 PM

Grand Junction Reminds RockyMounts Founder Bobby Noyes Of Old Boulder | CPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado