U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:43 AM

4,742 posts, read 2,407,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The weather is very unpredictable in April, an understatement.

The main thing is, a lot of things and people are closed/unavailable because that is school vacation time, plus Telluride skiing off-time. Between the two, a lot of people and small business and people to talk to are out of town. I couldn't even get a pizza when I visited one April to interview builders.
Which is why it is a good time to visit for the purpose of evaluating a future home area. The C of Cs love people visiting only in fair weather times, if the trip purpose is homebuying rather than vacation fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM

13,129 posts, read 25,003,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Which is why it is a good time to visit for the purpose of evaluating a future home area. The C of Cs love people visiting only in fair weather times, if the trip purpose is homebuying rather than vacation fun.
Good point. Although I did wonder how the visitors might spend their time. I mean, April and November, not much going on, and I live here now!

When I was talking to people about moving here from Boston area, I said I couldn't stand the humidity there (a major reason to leave). Their eyes would narrow and they'd say, "How do you feel about winter?" and I pointed out that I lived near Boston in 2015, with the weekly blizzards of heavy wet and then frozen snow, seven feet, a blizzard every weekend.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Good point. Although I did wonder how the visitors might spend their time. I mean, April and November, not much going on, and I live here now!

When I was talking to people about moving here from Boston area, I said I couldn't stand the humidity there (a major reason to leave). Their eyes would narrow and they'd say, "How do you feel about winter?" and I pointed out that I lived near Boston in 2015, with the weekly blizzards of heavy wet and then frozen snow, seven feet, a blizzard every weekend.
The quiet times in tourist towns are nice if you live there (well, they are to me), but some people want lots of amenities and stores all year round. The dead times can be inconvenient, even if you don’t find them boring.

As for winter...CO winters are different from MA winters. But ice is still ice, and both places get it. You can’t judge by using one or two winters. Both states have experienced unusually rough winters and snowstorms in some years. I was in metro Boston for the February 1978 whopper that shut roads and transit down for a week. I got a week off, paid, from work. Also lived in metro Denver during the spring 2003 and winter 2006-2007 storms. Both of them caused forests of For Sale signs to pop up in my foothills area, but only where new homes had been built. It wasn’t the longtime residents who fled after those storms. The realtors must have handed them the old “snows one day and melts the next” line. Sometimes it does. Sometimes. Similar thing here in SW CO—sometimes the snow melts quickly. Sometimes.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:44 AM

I am hoping for cross-country skiing in town! The great thing about being retired (besides not going to work) is not having to get out on the road if the weather is a problem. I am certainly not worried for myself about winter here in Ridgway, after all, I bought a Subaru for my retirement here. Better than the old Toyota on the highway for the East Coast night shifts.

Interesting the previous poster was in Mass. for the Blizzard of '78. It was certainly amazing. I lived in a third-floor attic at the time and wondered if the snow would get all the way up to my windows. The trucks bringing snow out of the city were dumping it in the park across the street, and it was Memorial Day when the last vestiges melted.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I am hoping for cross-country skiing in town! The great thing about being retired (besides not going to work) is not having to get out on the road if the weather is a problem. I am certainly not worried for myself about winter here in Ridgway, after all, I bought a Subaru for my retirement here. Better than the old Toyota on the highway for the East Coast night shifts.

Interesting the previous poster was in Mass. for the Blizzard of '78. It was certainly amazing. I lived in a third-floor attic at the time and wondered if the snow would get all the way up to my windows. The trucks bringing snow out of the city were dumping it in the park across the street, and it was Memorial Day when the last vestiges melted.
If you are in walking distance of downtown Ridgway, that could be fun x-c skiing right in town, at least till they plow everything. I bet you would not be the only one skiing, either.

During the infamous Blizzard of ‘78, TV news showed people skiing to the Star Market in Cambridge! I half-walked and half-skiied from Newton to the municipal golf course in Weston to ski there. The power outage felt like going back in time a hundred years: no lights on in homes, no cars on the roads, total silence late at night, entire families walking the roads *and smiling* during the daytime like a scene out of Norman Rockwell (no TV, haha). Yeah, “MAholes” were actually greeting each other.

The not-so-nice side was the saltwater inundations in the low coastal areas. A few years later I ruled out a used car I was thinking of buying, because it had a white bathtub ring stain a few inches above the floor.

But back to CO snow...I wanna Hammerhead XC Pro sled!

Old 11-12-2018, 05:21 AM

I am three blocks from Sherman Street. A snow last evening, no skiers to be seen. I gather the roads were slippery and I was very happy to walk four minutes to the theater for a reading and discussion. Very happy to be right in town.

Old Today, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 2,728 times
Default Why move away twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I moved to Ridgway in 2009 and stupidly moved away. $500,000 will get you a nice home if you shop around a bit. There's LOTS to do, many town festivals in summer and the state park is within walking distance. It gets very crowded in summer.

Winters can be very cold. Coldest I saw there was 44 below zero. Daytime highs in winter can stay in the single digits.

If I had the money I would move back today. I wish you well.

Jim

I was reading your posts from and about Ridgway.It seems you loved it but I am curious why you left the second time.

We are going to Colo in April and looking for a place to retire Ridgway is high on our list.
We are also interested in Durango and Fruita

Thanks
Mike

Old Today, 06:22 PM

10,851 posts, read 12,051,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox1311 View Post
Jim

I was reading your posts from and about Ridgway.It seems you loved it but I am curious why you left the second time.

Mike

I got stupid and met someone, got into a relationship and who insisted we move to Montrose because she hated Ridgway. Yeah she left me after a few months here. I don't have the money to move back but would tomorrow if I did.

Ridgway is absolute paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado