U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 02:32 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm planning to go to a convention in Montrose next June and was just curious about opinions/recommendations on places I shouldn't miss in the area, perhaps on the drive out/back from the Front Range. I anticipate heading out via US 50 West.

A couple places I am wondering about include Telluride, Creede, Ouray, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Lake City. I've been to Silverton before and remember it well enough I don't feel I have to go again unless it changed quite a bit in the past few decades. I've also been to Ouray but don't really remember it. I might tack a day on to pick up some of these places on my way in/out of the convention. Other place suggestions are also welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 02:34 PM

13,706 posts, read 21,521,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to go to a convention in Montrose next June and was just curious about opinions/recommendations on places I shouldn't miss in the area, perhaps on the drive out/back from the Front Range. I anticipate heading out via US 50 West.

A couple places I am wondering about include Telluride, Creede, Ouray, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Lake City. I've been to Silverton before and remember it well enough I don't feel I have to go again unless it changed quite a bit in the past few decades. I've also been to Ouray but don't really remember it. I might tack a day on to pick up some of these places on my eat in/out of the convention. Other place suggestions are also welcome.
Black Canyon for sure, Crested Butte if you got time.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-02-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 06:00 PM

10,562 posts, read 11,657,101 times
Eat at the Stonehouse and Camp Robber. Walk down Main Street. Visit Black Canyon and Ridgway State Park.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:13 PM

445 posts, read 183,117 times
Telluride, Ouray for sure. Telluride is my favorite town in Colorado and it has lots of competition.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 PM

334 posts, read 201,029 times
Love Black Canyon!

Old Today, 08:35 AM

16,187 posts, read 20,200,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Eat at the Stonehouse and Camp Robber. Walk down Main Street. Visit Black Canyon and Ridgway State Park.

Both places are quite good. One place I've been to a few times that serves Nepalese food is a place called Himalayan Run Hill, it's on the north side of town between the video store Front Row Seat and the Montrose Truck Stop on the main drag-Townsend Ave./Hwy. 50. Most people don't notice it because it's squeezed in between other commercial buildings but it's a nice change of pace type restaurant.

Other mom and pop restaurants I like in the area is Ted Nelson's Steakhouse, Colorado Pizza Boy Restaurant and Tratoria Di Sofia for Italian food.

McGowdog has the bases covered on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, maybe 15 miles east of Montrose. Beautiful is the word!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; Today at 11:56 AM..

Old Today, 08:49 AM

6,579 posts, read 5,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Telluride, Ouray for sure. Telluride is my favorite town in Colorado and it has lots of competition.
Me too

Old Today, 10:22 AM

A couple museums that would be worth a visit would be the Museum Mountain West and the Ute Indian Museum. The Ute Museum was established in 1956. Is just off U.S. Hwy. 50 on Chipeta Drive.

A real nice drive is the road to Silver Jack Reservoir, one of my "go to" fishing spots. Beautiful views of the San Juans on the east side of Montrose County. When you're south of Montrose you exit left just a little ways south of Colona and it comes out on hwy. 50 around 15 miles east of Montrose.

The Ouray Hot Springs is definitely worth an hour or two of your time.

Old Today, 01:52 PM

12,849 posts, read 24,506,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Both places are quite good. One place I've been to a few times that serves Nepalese food is a place called Himalayan Run Hill, it's on the north side of town between the video store Front Row Seat and the Montrose Truck Stop on the main drag-Townsend Ave./Hwy. 50.
It's Himalayan Pun Hill Kitchen. An orange building that is easy to see because of its color, but yes, it's in an odd location. Good and cheap lunch buffet.

They also have Himalayan Guru, I think it is, on East Main, around two blocks from 550.

Old Today, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It's Himalayan Pun Hill Kitchen. An orange building that is easy to see because of its color, but yes, it's in an odd location. Good and cheap lunch buffet.

They also have Himalayan Guru, I think it is, on East Main, around two blocks from 550.
Thanks!
P is a ways from R on ze ol' keyboard! Damn senior moments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or