U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:33 PM

6,582 posts, read 5,878,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Lower means Denver. A few feet won’t matter. You need to be a few thousand feet lower.
Almost all the big ski towns have free shuttle or town bus service.
In season most of the major ski towns have direct jet service, Aspen, Telluride (Montrose), Crested Butte (Gunnison), Vail (Eagle).

I would personally avoid Breck, but some people like it. I think because of its proximity to Denver it feels less like a mountain town and more like a suburb of Dallas. Your results may vary.
I agree about Breck. It’s just more of a tourist town than a real town like Aspen, Steamboat, and Crested Butte.

OP, any reason you want to be close to denver? If not, look further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 07:33 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,560,100 times
Denver and ski during the week when there is no traffic.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 AM

1,396 posts, read 2,629,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Denver and ski during the week when there is no traffic.
Shhh, that's my secret!

Old 11-04-2018, 02:09 PM

604 posts, read 840,627 times
Steamboat is the lowest elevation at ~6700'. Being below 8,000 makes a difference for many people. It's a wonderful town and there's plenty to do for non-skiers.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 1,681,944 times
If your off seasons will be used for rentals, the local political environment around VRBO limits or a range of management firms to take care of it for you, may be a concern. In that case, you may want destination visitors instead of a bunch of rowdies up from Denver for a weekend of debauchery.

Old Today, 02:30 AM

185 posts, read 169,774 times
Steamboat hands down. Way more for a non-skier to do as it's a real town (around 7000 people) and not everything is wrapped around the resort.

Old Today, 08:24 AM

18 posts, read 3,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Steamboat is the lowest elevation at ~6700'. Being below 8,000 makes a difference for many people. It's a wonderful town and there's plenty to do for non-skiers.
I have some relatives in Steamboat, but I feel it is too far from DEN to drive, and consequently may have less rental appeal for the 7-8 months out of the year that we would wish to rent it. From the perspective of the skier in the family, isn't it a bit boring to only have one ski resort in the vicinity? The same could hold true for renters. Any thoughts?

Old Today, 08:26 AM

18 posts, read 3,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
If your off seasons will be used for rentals, the local political environment around VRBO limits or a range of management firms to take care of it for you, may be a concern.
I am unaware of the issues you mention. Will I get the straight scoop from realtors, or do I need to do some digging once I find the "best" town?

Old Today, 08:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,857 posts, read 37,553,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_228 View Post
I am unaware of the issues you mention. Will I get the straight scoop from realtors, or do I need to do some digging once I find the "best" town?
Go to the (each) city planning / building / code enforcement dept to get the straight scoop.

Sales people on commission do not always know the straight scoop.

You will answer to the local jurisdiction. Get your info from them. (LONG before purchasing)

Old Today, 02:57 PM

2,973 posts, read 6,626,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_228 View Post

You really want to dig on your own. I'm in the Vail area and short term rentals are a hot topic for many reasons. Regulations have been put into place for licensing and collection of sales tax. However since short term can be more lucrative than a long term rental we are losing local housing to that market. Other resort towns like Jackson Hole have already reduced the ability for short term rentals and places like Tahoe are looking at restricting it in certain areas. I suspect "village" locations will be insulated if short term regulations change but areas that are considered local neighborhoods may have restrictions put on them. Most towns have local e-editions of their newspapers, I would suggest reading those and also the town hall meeting minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or