U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:58 AM

39 posts, read 13,563 times

Advertisements

My DH wishes to ski more now that he has retired and is considering buying a condo in Breckenridge. Our thinking is that this town is the most appealing for both skiers and nonskiers. He will likely go in winter alone or with friends who ski and we will go together in summer for several months to escape the heat, renting the place as much as possible. I like going to the movies, attending programs at libraries, day trips to interesting historic or cultural sites and playing tennis.

Will Breckenridge be a good fit and are there other communities we should consider? DH has skied at Keystone, Breck, Vail, Beaver Creek and Steamboat Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Aspen or Snowmass if budget allows. Better skiing and smaller crowds. I also think Steamboat would be very nice.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:32 AM

1,281 posts, read 411,585 times
Lake Tahoe

Old 11-03-2018, 11:02 AM

729 posts, read 384,497 times
Aspen, Crested Butte, Telluride would be my choices.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:23 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,818,232 times
Nobody likes Vail?

Old 11-03-2018, 03:06 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,025,414 times
I'm not a skier and happily live in the Vail area. I like Breck, just be sure you are comfortable with the altitude some people do have issues.

Breck is a bit closer to Denver and more convenient for many to get to. I know Vail has a very culturally rich summer with concerts, ballet and events. I'm sure Breck does too you may want to check the town's site for the calendar of events to see if it appeals to you.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Nobody likes Vail?
I’m in Vail every weekend and I like it but if I wasn’t commuting back to Denver, I would much rather be in Aspen, Snowmass, Steamboat, Crested Butte, or Telluride. I think they are all better towns.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Nobody likes Vail?
What is there to do in Vail in winter besides ski? Eat, drink and listen to noise from I 70.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:23 PM

39 posts, read 13,563 times
Thanks for the feedback. Love the cultural stuff mentioned at Vail.

If altitude sickness is best avoided by "sleeping" low, do any of the mentioned resorts have a lower town?

Anyone care to weigh in on which of the resorts will be the easiest to rent our unit? I assumed that Breck would be in more demand since it is the closest to a major city airport. It certainly would be easier for us to use as we'd be flying in from Atlanta. But perhaps some resorts are better with in town bus services if we did not purchase a ski-in ski-out property or affordable shuttles from the nearby airports. With no car, how do you get to places, like grocery shopping etc?

Old 11-03-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_228 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Love the cultural stuff mentioned at Vail.

If altitude sickness is best avoided by "sleeping" low, do any of the mentioned resorts have a lower town?

Anyone care to weigh in on which of the resorts will be the easiest to rent our unit? I assumed that Breck would be in more demand since it is the closest to a major city airport. It certainly would be easier for us to use as we'd be flying in from Atlanta. But perhaps some resorts are better with in town bus services if we did not purchase a ski-in ski-out property or affordable shuttles from the nearby airports. With no car, how do you get to places, like grocery shopping etc?
Lower means Denver. A few feet won’t matter. You need to be a few thousand feet lower.
Almost all the big ski towns have free shuttle or town bus service.
In season most of the major ski towns have direct jet service, Aspen, Telluride (Montrose), Crested Butte (Gunnison), Vail (Eagle).

I would personally avoid Breck, but some people like it. I think because of its proximity to Denver it feels less like a mountain town and more like a suburb of Dallas. Your results may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or