Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:19 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

For me, the takeaway from the poll:

"President Trump’s job approval among all unaffiliated voters is toxic, with only 31% approving of the job he is doing, 62% disapproving, and 48% strongly disapproving of the job he is doing.

Overwhelmingly, the top two issues that were important to unaffiliated voters and influenced their vote for Governor and the state legislature were education and healthcare."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
Personally, I see unaffiliated as people that are not loyal to either party. While their votes may have gone democratic this time, will that always be the case?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Personally, I see unaffiliated as people that are not loyal to either party. While their votes may have gone democratic this time, will that always be the case?
Well, voting shouldn't be about party loyalty - every candidate and issue ought to be evaluated on its own merits, imho. I think U voters would not have turned so strongly against the R party if they saw evidence that R folks in office were thinking for themselves, trying to truly represent their constituents first rather than party or just R faction of constituents only, and doing what they thought was right rather than what many perceived as putting party before right, and having no courage to stand up to Trump no matter how far he went off the rails.

Yes, things could easily change in another election cycle but I think it is highly unlikely U voters would turn drastically toward R in the near future unless R made drastic changes. D party is guilty of the party line as well, but the consequences are seen as much more extreme in the R party right now.

Sometimes I wish we weren't so locked into a two-party system. It is so entrenched right now that you'd think it was designed to be that way way back in 1776 or so, but it wasn't.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have not been affiliated with a party ever, and voting since 1970. I still get lots of campaign mail, phone calls and door knocking. In fact, I told one woman at the door that she was the 3rd to come by for that candidate who I was intending to vote for, but if anyone else came I would change my vote to the opponent. The campaign mail went directly into the recyling bin. When I got a campaign phone call, regardless of the candidate I would hang up on them. This particular election the campaigning got way out of hand. I do the research and vote for the best person, and will not be influenced by the propaganda and negative campaigning.
DH is unaffiliated since 1982. Some woman campaigning for the Democrats came to the door looking for him. I said he was in the hospital. She just went on with her spiel and left some literature. Not even an "I'm sorry".

Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Well, voting shouldn't be about party ...- every candidate and issue ought to be evaluated on its own merits, imho.
No!
The GOP: Party of Hate® needs to die.
The Dumpster® owns the GOPers and a vote for any GOPer is a vote in support of an odious sociopath.

Ten years ago, I would have agreed with you. But, no more.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Well, voting shouldn't be about party loyalty - every candidate and issue ought to be evaluated on its own merits, imho.
Problem is it's all about them doing favors for each other. Independent thought within each party is a rarity, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
DH is unaffiliated since 1982. Some woman campaigning for the Democrats came to the door looking for him. I said he was in the hospital. She just went on with her spiel and left some literature. Not even an "I'm sorry".
A cold-heearted Democrat - shocking!

Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
Quote:
Well, voting shouldn't be about party loyalty - every candidate and issue ought to be evaluated on its own merits, imho. I think U voters would not have turned so strongly against the R party if they saw evidence that R folks in office were thinking for themselves, trying to truly represent their constituents first rather than party or just R faction of constituents only, and doing what they thought was right rather than what many perceived as putting party before right, and having no courage to stand up to Trump no matter how far he went off the rails.

Yes, things could easily change in another election cycle but I think it is highly unlikely U voters would turn drastically toward R in the near future unless R made drastic changes. D party is guilty of the party line as well, but the consequences are seen as much more extreme in the R party right now.

Sometimes I wish we weren't so locked into a two-party system. It is so entrenched right now that you'd think it was designed to be that way way back in 1776 or so, but it wasn't.
I agree. Unfortunately, there are a decent number of people that blindly vote for whomever has an R or D next to their name. I feel that neither party care about serving the citizens anymore. It's all about keeping power. It would be great if a third party could gain some traction.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:58 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
I agree. Unfortunately, there are a decent number of people that blindly vote for whomever has an R or D next to their name. I feel that neither party care about serving the citizens anymore. It's all about keeping power. It would be great if a third party could gain some traction.
What’s the platform though? 3rd parties that have had any success in our system have typically been founded on a single issue. If that issue garners enough support that the 3rd party gets a substantial showing in an election, then one of the major parties co-opts that issue in the next election cycle rendering the 3rd party powerless.

The Dems have done it with environmental issues which is why the Green Party will never have a strong showing in an election and the republicans have done it with white nationalism so the Nazis will never get a lot of votes.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Quote:
True, and simply having that R or D next to a nominee will almost guarantee them 15-20% of the vote regardless of how out of touch they are.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:16 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
There are some pretty easy ways to weaken the two-party dichotomy. Part of me is wondering if I can start the campaign for preferential voting myself. It sounds like most on this board, conservative and liberal alike, would sign the petition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado