U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 PM

19 posts, read 26,811 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the input so far! Budget wise we would hope for under 400k. Amenities desired would be a main street or town of some sort (not just urban sprawl), grocery store and close access to recreation. Nice to have would be movies, gym (climbing hopefully), bars, and a live music venue. My family lives out of state so a regional airport would be great if it didn't add hundreds to ticket cost. I'd like to live in a smaller community where we can feel more connected to our neighbors. So a population of maybe less than 50k and more than 2000.

I already drive everywhere as we are in the suburbs and not within walking distance of anything, so I am used to that. My commute down 119 isn't bad right now at about 25 minutes, but it has gotten worse in the 5 years we have lived in Longmont, as development has surged.

I only mention the politics because as a teacher it can be tough to work in a community where you feel out place, and where politics are more "in your face." I currently teach in Weld county and don't feel I have much in common with my colleagues. Everyone is kind, but Church and football are the main topics of conversation, and I don't often feel comfortable expressing my opinion. I have friends that are Libertarians, fiscal conservatives and moderates, but the current political climate has me wary of putting down roots anywhere where the majority of people are fervent social conservatives or supporters of our president. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just attempting to clarify my concerns when I said we were "left-leaning" :-).

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 AM

5,036 posts, read 6,751,983 times
Have you thought about Canon City? I think it is pretty red, but you'd be quite close to Colorado Springs which is purple and even closer to Pueblo, which is pretty blue. But yeah, I have to echo what most have said - left and rural tend not to go together too much in Colorado. GJ would be bigger than you said you desired, as would Pueblo.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:47 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,976,738 times
Durango is awesome.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,645,889 times
I don't know about the political leanings or school district but Montrose comes to mind. Well kept little Main Street area as well as big box stores on south end. Can easily get to Telluride, GJ or Utah.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 AM

1,851 posts, read 1,586,939 times
You have to find teaching jobs that pay enough to live there. That's not easy to do.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,523,615 times
Rifle CO? Not big, not tiny. 10k in town, 60k in Garfield County. On the outer edge of resort country. Hour (plus?) to GJ, half hour plus to Glenwood Springs, maybe somewhere near 90 minutes to the ski towns. Rock climbing, river, lakes, forests, within reach of Utah, etc.

Republican edge in recent Presidential voting was only about 1/3rd the size of the edge in Weld County.

75% the size of Weld County, with 20% of the people. About 30% of the density.

Much less Republican dominated and perhaps less insular than Montrose. Lots of young newcomers. Blue collar and some otherwise.

Small downtown.

If Rifle is too small or gritty, look to see what you could get in Glenwood Springs. If Rifle is too big, Meeker is basically 20% the size of Rifle & county. Much more Republican dominated but a semi-tourist area with sone newcomers & developing amenities.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-27-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 PM

2,711 posts, read 1,721,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
You have to find teaching jobs that pay enough to live there. That's not easy to do.

This, more than anything else on your list, drives where things may work out for you. An unfortunate by product of the urban rural divide in CO is the range of jobs and pay for those jobs in the smaller communities is really lacking. That continues to make the Front Range the heavy hitter for employment opportunities and pay. Any regional airport access is going to add to your airfare. Sometimes a lot more.

Perhaps you could look at work in Pueblo and live in the Wet Valley near Colo City, Westcliffe or Silvercliff. A bummer commute for daily work, but does check a number of your boxes. Pueblo West and Canon City or Florence may be other options too. These are still Front Range so you have some of the better access capability, but A LOT less congested than northern CO with easy access to the mountains via multiple routes.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,143,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This, more than anything else on your list, drives where things may work out for you. An unfortunate by product of the urban rural divide in CO is the range of jobs and pay for those jobs in the smaller communities is really lacking. That continues to make the Front Range the heavy hitter for employment opportunities and pay. Any regional airport access is going to add to your airfare. Sometimes a lot more.

Perhaps you could look at work in Pueblo and live in the Wet Valley near Colo City, Westcliffe or Silvercliff. A bummer commute for daily work, but does check a number of your boxes. Pueblo West and Canon City or Florence may be other options too. These are still Front Range so you have some of the better access capability, but A LOT less congested than northern CO with easy access to the mountains via multiple routes.

The extra air leg to small airports near our rural area does add hundreds more, literally. Also, some flights only go once a day. And you’d better not have a thing about tiny planes, a.k.a. vomit comets.

Many posters who say they want a real downtown have visions of cute downtowns. There are plenty of Western downtowns that are very real commercial centers but they aren’t the boutiquey places so many dream of.

Those pretty little villages typify New England more than anywhere else. Not most towns in or near the Rockies or SW deserts.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:09 PM

854 posts, read 456,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
This. A friend' daughter has 5 years of teaching experience and a master's degree. She recently moved to a small rural town mentioned where she makes $32k a year. It's no secret why rural areas can't keep teachers.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,585,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Ouray County was light blue in the 2016 election, San Miguel was dark blue (Telluride). The rest of the Western Slope was bright red.
Ummm...... LaPLata County is blue as well. Even voter registrations in LaPlata County skew democratic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Colorado,_2016

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or