U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 PM

8 posts, read 3,119 times

Advertisements

Iíd definitely knock Salida off the list. Housing there is as expensive as it is here, and teacher salaries are far lower. I have a friend who moved there a couple years back and took a nearly $15k pay cut from her salary teaching in Denver metro. She took a bit of a ding on years, but mostly their pay scale is just a lot lower. Not sure of pay in the other areas youíre considering. If you want to start a family, Iíd also really research daycares before committing to a place. Itís hell out there finding somewhere decent that you can afford on a teacherís salary and that has openings (btdt, quite recently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 30,713 times
Default Baby added to the mix!

Just checked back here and Iím so grateful for all the advice! So I am now pregnant, and there is a lot more to consider. Someone mentioned Paonia, and that sounds interesting. Also considering Rifle and New castle areas. A lot depends on our job situation. Iím taking some time off for the baby, then not sure I want to go back to the classroom. Maybe continue in education, possibly get an endorsement in ESL. We have the chance to get some financial help and set up in the Carbondale area, but Iím worried we wonít fit in as solid middle-classers. I would love to get a little slice of land and build on it. Possibly rent a space for passive income.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM

20,736 posts, read 38,777,546 times
Thank you for the update and best wishes for a healthy happy baby...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,024 posts, read 39,204,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post
Just checked back here and Iím so grateful for all the advice! So I am now pregnant, and there is a lot more to consider. Someone mentioned Paonia, and that sounds interesting. Also considering Rifle and New castle areas. A lot depends on our job situation. Iím taking some time off for the baby, then not sure I want to go back to the classroom. Maybe continue in education, possibly get an endorsement in ESL. We have the chance to get some financial help and set up in the Carbondale area, but Iím worried we wonít fit in as solid middle-classers. I would love to get a little slice of land and build on it. Possibly rent a space for passive income.
Explore your Carbondale options as you transition west with child. The smaller / remote towns can severely limit your options if you run crossways with the only employer. They are best once you are financially independent. Places like Carbondale can equip you financially to eventually get further out.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

528 posts, read 265,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Maybe YOUR children, but... not the case with millions who dedicate 15+ yrs of life to homeschool their kids for the betterment of the kids, society, employers, community. (many, MANY homeschoolers are Public school teachers)

if a teacher... you can LOOK at Colorado, but also look CLOSELY at income tax free states of WY, SD, AK, WA who can have GREAT teaching opportunities.

Also consider teaching for DOD schools. Several teacher friends have had GREAT international gigs in really nice locations.

The FR growth of the 1970s completed my 30 yr stay in CO, I had had enough (traffic). 2 trips to CO last week help to re-confirm that while it is nice (ok)...(it is nicer to visit)... there are many other choices for career / earning / living / recreating.

Keep an open eye (and mind... if possible)
Exactly this ^^^.

Just got back to FL from a visit to Fort Collins to see our kids, via Denver. HOLY cow, the crowding has become even worse after only being gone a year. Not sure how it is possible but. Wow. The trip down I-25 to 270 to 70 to DIA alternated from a parking lot to a NASCAR race on PeŮa Blvd. And what's with all the horn honking at each other? Super aggressive. Who are all of those people?

After living there for 59 years and 11 months, I still miss my home Colorado very much, but wouldn't go back anywhere near Denver or even Fort Collins/Loveland now. Thinking Wyoming might be a better bet.

OP, you could consider the lower SW corner of the state. We are (were) a climbing/hiking/hunting/back-backing (anything outdoors) family and got our hard rock fixes in Moab among other locales in the area.

Wyoming is fabulous too. Two of my brothers left to live there when the late 70s-early 80s influx came into the Front Range (mostly Denver area).

Have you considered taking up teaching online?

Good luck!

Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

528 posts, read 265,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Here we go again with the sanctimony and anti Colorado posts.
Don't know about anti-Colorado posts, but to each his/her own.

I loved living in Colorado but it was becoming impossible to maintain our lifestyles in the area we left. I'll be back (hopefully). God knows the people that bought our home and land paid an insane amount for it, leaving us quite a bit of flexibility to come back to the Western Slope and keep this house in FL too. Most of my family is still in CO and though my kids don't plan to remain in the Front Range area, they want to stay in the state while they vacation down here to go SCUBA diving and deep sea fishing with their dad.

Still love the beauty, the sweet pine air, gorgeous blue sky, the dry climate... Don't miss the inversions and brown cloud, crowded roads, trails and restaurants, cracking bridges and pot-holed streets.

No worries SkyDog, it isn't about being anti-Colorado. I talk up my home every chance I get. At least in my case, it's more of a sadness to see the haphazard growth, while some of it beneficial in many ways, sometimes isn't worth sacrificing QOL to get there.

Old Today, 03:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 1,727,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsFarSouthAsSouthGoes View Post
You seem to understand the scope of the problem so I have to ask: why in Godís name would you consider having kids here only to send them to crap schools? I can see how Colorado would be a fun place to be young and single or a nice place for retirees but do you really want to raise kids here? When you look at how competitive the global economy has become, I would argue that there has never been a more important time to get your kids the absolutely best education that you can and that would not happen here. You will buy an overpriced house, become house poor and send your kids to schools that are mediocre at best. I just canít see your reasoning.

But if you insist, also check out Gunnison. Western State is there and Crested Butte is up the road. It does get very cold in the winter but summers are gorgeous. Best of luck.
Why would the OP's children not receive a good education in Colorado? Because of poor teacher pay? A child's education is more closely linked to the parent's involvement than what the teachers are paid.

Are you familiar with the big bucks spent on schools in failing inner cities, like Chicago and DC? Lots of money is spent, and it's frittered away wastefully yet the kids can't even spell.

OP, BTW, I HIGHLY doubt that the Front Range is now the 48th most expensive place in the US. There are a LOTs of CA metros to page through first, then lots of NE rich suburbs like in CT, most of HI, etc. Denver/ Northern Front Range is not cheap, but count your blessings that you aren't in the Bay area

Old Today, 04:16 PM

2,483 posts, read 1,727,626 times
To start out, I will say I am an outsider who doesn't live in your area, but I visit family there often and ironically I'm a Denver native. Therefore, I will offer my observations and opinions on what I read about your issues (Denver Post mostly).

Denver metro (and Colorado in general) only have themselves to blame for the terrible traffic that's come about during these boom years. I remember saying to my Aunt 15 yrs ago, "Why don't they expand this (or that) freeway?" She didn't know, rest her soul--she's gone now. The city planners and other officials in charge "should" have known what a mess an economic boom would create on the metro's roads/ freeways. This is no BIG SURPRISE!!

And, once again I don't know, but were funding propositions for freeway expansion in metro Denver and the FR rejected by the voting public? If they voted "no" on these referendums, I have no sympathy for the problem at hand.

The voters in Maricopa County (Phoenix metro) okeyed more than one ballot initiative to raise taxes to build a massive freeway system here (we used to have almost none.) Now our freeway building is almost done, and it's a pleasure to drive cross-town now (and NO STINKIN' TOLLS!!!) You guys have a better light rail system then us, but we're very freeway spoiled.

Old Today, 04:55 PM

86,691 posts, read 101,596,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsFarSouthAsSouthGoes View Post
You seem to understand the scope of the problem so I have to ask: why in Godís name would you consider having kids here only to send them to crap schools? I can see how Colorado would be a fun place to be young and single or a nice place for retirees but do you really want to raise kids here? When you look at how competitive the global economy has become, I would argue that there has never been a more important time to get your kids the absolutely best education that you can and that would not happen here. You will buy an overpriced house, become house poor and send your kids to schools that are mediocre at best. I just canít see your reasoning.

But if you insist, also check out Gunnison. Western State is there and Crested Butte is up the road. It does get very cold in the winter but summers are gorgeous. Best of luck.
First of all, you're talking to a teacher who is married to a teacher, so you might watch your language. Both of my kids went to school here (BVSD) and they felt well-prepared for their out of state colleges. One even went to college in Nirvana, I mean, Minnesota which is supposed to be the best, best, BEST and did very well there, thank you very much. Better than some of her friends from MN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
OP- If you want to stay in Colorado then you need to look at finding a district that pays well compared to the cost of living. You currently live in Longmont, so I would suggest that you and your spouse try very hard to get jobs in a BVSD school. Next, live frugally and save for a house. When the market dips buy a fixer upper. Most people get nervous during a bad economy and don't buy houses but teachers have steady income. Get a masters and increase your pay. Retire earlier than all of your friends who are not teachers.

Am I a genius? Nope. I live in the BVSD district and I have watched the teachers do this exact thing and they all are very happy. Specifically my next door neighbors just retired from BVSD at 55 and explained how teachers make the system work for them.

Stop working in districts that don't value you.
I think BVSD is one of the highest paying districts in the metro area, if not THE highest paying. You can get to the mountains from Boulder County w/o going all the way down to I-70; e.g. Highway 93 to Highway 6 in Golden to I-70 in Idaho Springs. OP could stay in Longmont, which does fulfill most of her criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post
Congrats on the pregnancy! You will love parenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Why would the OP's children not receive a good education in Colorado? Because of poor teacher pay? A child's education is more closely linked to the parent's involvement than what the teachers are paid.

Are you familiar with the big bucks spent on schools in failing inner cities, like Chicago and DC? Lots of money is spent, and it's frittered away wastefully yet the kids can't even spell.

OP, BTW, I HIGHLY doubt that the Front Range is now the 48th most expensive place in the US. There are a LOTs of CA metros to page through first, then lots of NE rich suburbs like in CT, most of HI, etc. Denver/ Northern Front Range is not cheap, but count your blessings that you aren't in the Bay area
Yes, I believe DC has the highest per-pupil allotment in the country and one of the worst HS graduation rates. Mind you, I do think teachers should be paid well.

Old Today, 07:30 PM

13,175 posts, read 24,085,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Denver metro (and Colorado in general) only have themselves to blame for the terrible traffic that's come about during these boom years. I remember saying to my Aunt 15 yrs ago, "Why don't they expand this (or that) freeway?" She didn't know, rest her soul--she's gone now. The city planners and other officials in charge "should" have known what a mess an economic boom would create on the metro's roads/ freeways. This is no BIG SURPRISE!!
The general feel here prior to 5 years ago was this:

"If we deny growth is occurring, then we'll prevent it from happening."

And now, here we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or