Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:29 AM

82 posts, read 77,911 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to CO. I love the mountains and I love lakes, the water, and boating. But I am looking for somewhat warmer winters. My friends fiance lived there for a short period of time, and says that lakes are not really a big thing in CO and water sports and boating aren't that big because the water is so cold. Looking for some guidance here. And if CO isn't the place then where should I go? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
if, by "warmer winters" … you mean a place where there's no snow or cold/blustery weather during the winter months …

then Colorado is not for you.

Altitude in Colorado brings cold weather throughout the entire state, which includes the mountains and the plains on the eastern side of the state.

If you really want year-around boating, check out the lower elevation states … possibly the SE USA. Arkansas or Louisiana
might offer the combination of lakes/boating and milder climate for you. The "hill" country there will give you those "mountain vistas" of scenery … lush wooded areas, but without being at high enough altitude to bring on the cold snowy weather of Colorado winters.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:26 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Grand Valley/Grand Mesa. The Valley is lower so it’s warmer year round. They get little snow. Hotter in summer. Lots of water on the Colorado and Gunnison rivers for boating and silent water sports. The Mesa has over 300 lakes and feels like Canada. Lots of trees and few people. One of the prettiest parts of Colorado and few venture up there. There are also a couple big man made lakes nearby in State Parks and the drive to the big parks with water in Utah (Lake Powell, etc) is a whole lot shorter.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:35 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Yes, the water at higher elevations is cold. In CO, this water is derived from snow pack, so it is usually just above freezing to 40*. Even in the summer, these higher altitude lakes may only get up to 50-55* best case. You usually need to get about an hour east of Denver, on the plains, away from even views of the mountains, to get into water that is 70+*

Surface watersports are not big in CO, despite the popularity of fishing and even diving (we have one of the highest per capita populations of certified scuba divers in the nation). It can be done as there is a fair amount of total surface water, but we lack large, behemoth lakes that you can explore for hours on end. We do have numerous reservoirs, but as a water supply, not all of them allow power boats. Many of the smaller lakes wont allow powered boats at all.

Big, snowy, hikable mountains with low temps isn't a norm in CO. The western side of the state maybe a bit warmer than the central mountains, but they still get some pretty regular cold temps. Whats the rule...3* drop every 1000' of elevation.

On top of all of this is the need to make a living. The mountains areas typically do hot have an abundance of high paying jobs so unless you are bringing a trust fund with you, real estate in the most desirable places is spendy. If you have a remote job, then you will need solid and fast internet access, which also isn't a norm in many remote communities.

If you still want to consider the area, then Grand Mesa might be a suggestion as well as around the Durango area near Lake Navajo. Both put you closer to Powell than the other side of the Continental Divide nearer the major metro of Denver. Outside of CO you have northern New Mexico. Might also consider looking into Lake of the Ozarks or places in the western Carolinas and northern Alabama.

Coming from CT, the west is a significant and major culture shift, not just in people's attitudes and outlooks, which you may be compatible with, but also in population density, water scarcity, altitude, and weather. In the times I spent in western MA, many people said thee weather changed rapidly. I had to laugh because of the few years I traveled there regularly, it didn't change anywhere as quickly as it does in CO. It can literally change in minutes and be so isolated that you will be getting pea sized hail and two blocks over is sunny. Also, population west of the 100th meridian is built around major population centers and reaches out likes spokes from these places. It is not like east coast areas where one can drive 30 minutes to an affluent and prosperous town outside of urban areas and find great work and nice places to live at a low price. Many smaller towns in between the sometimes hours apart major metro areas in the west are struggling to survive. Major metros tend to be more expensive but have the most amenities and jobs.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
Considering moving to CO. I love the mountains and I love lakes, the water, and boating. But I am looking for somewhat warmer winters. My friends fiance lived there for a short period of time, and says that lakes are not really a big thing in CO and water sports and boating aren't that big because the water is so cold. Looking for some guidance here. And if CO isn't the place then where should I go? Thanks!
If you intend to boat all year ‘round, scratch CO off your list. The water tends to freeze. Even in places where the water does not freeze over entirely, there are strict closures in place, thanks to invasive nuisance species and the risk of spreading them during times when no vessel inspectors are there. Have you even heard of the big problem with ANS in many states? Many people from other regions have not.

Where I live, the reservoirs close around Nov. 1 and reopen in late March or early April, depending on budget for ANS inspectors and, of course, snow conditions.

Farther south in other states, some lakes—reservoirs, actually, not natural lakes—stay open, but again due to ANS risk, you MUST have your boats inspected and cleared for use each time.

If your watersports involve actual body contact with water, CO is most definitely off the list (unless you wear protective immersion gear). Even in late spring and early fall, water temp goes below 55 degrees.

As for mountains, the snowcapped high peaks in CO winters are for mountaineers and other well-prepared outdoorsfolk. NOT for casual hiking unless it is a drought year. The lower mtns which we call foothills may or may not have decent trail conditions, depending on type of soil and amount/type of precipitation. Speaking of which...

Lakes and rivers can dwindle to mere shallow mucky puddles and trickles because of the dependence on snowfall. The water situation is very, very different from New England’s, where I grew up.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-11-2018 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
In another thread you talk about not wanting it to be 30 degrees (or colder). As a low or a high? Forget Colorado if you don't want lows below that in winter. 35-45 as highs in winter are pretty common. If that is too cold, look elsewhere. Of course there are some zero and below zero days. Not that many most places, more the higher in the mountains you go.

You mention swimming. Yeah some do it in CO but not that many and only in peak summer and usually only briefly.

You want lakes and mountains. So Texas is mostly out unless the lakes and Hill Country west of Austin is enough or you'd take Amarillo, Lake Meredith and driving to mountains on weekends. Some spots in NM or Arizona are probably worth checking. Flagstaff, Show Low / Lakeside / Pinetop, Eagar / Springerville AZ or Bullhead City / Kingman AZ for warmer water. Or Apache Junction or Globe AZ. Or Aztec or Santa Rosa NM. Or Prineville, Medford or Hood River OR. Maybe North Bend it Eatonville WA but probably not cold. Almost all these might be too cold.

As always, does "small town" mean closer to 5,000, 50,000, in between or smaller than 5k? Some want 2k, some think 250k is small for them.

Also, you should know that as pretty as the Grand Mesa lakes are, they aren't reachable by most for a pretty long winter, are cold and have tons of mosquitoes when it is warm.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-11-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Why are you considering a move to Colorado?

Other than you like mountains and lakes and a friend's fiance once lived here, there isn't much info in your post.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
In another thread you talk about not wanting it to be 30 degrees (or colder). As a low or a high? Forget Colorado if you don't want lows below that in winter. 35-45 as highs in winter are pretty common. If that is too cold, look elsewhere. Of course there are some zero and below zero days. Not that many most places, more the higher in the mountains you go.

You mention swimming. Yeah some do it in CO but not that many and only in peak summer and usually only briefly.

You want lakes and mountains. So Texas is mostly out. Some spots in NM or Arizona are probably worth checking.
Not below 30 degrees?

CO shouldn’t even be considered an option. There is literally no CO place where it does not go below 30 degrees. In fact, night time lows in winter usually go below that, often well below that. Even in the banana belt areas!

Swimming...this is a poor state for swimming even in the warmer seasons. OP profile shows CT as residence. New England is dotted with beautiful little glacier-made ponds and natural lakes. Great swimming there, though not in winter. For pleasant winter swimming and boating, states such as FL, GA, and HI should be the candidates.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:54 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Hot springs / pools are available here and there. Commercial and backcountry.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:36 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I think the part of Colorado the OP is looking for is called Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado