U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 AM

461 posts, read 586,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post

Blizzak non studded tires are fantastic. I used to drive a RWD BMW M3 sportscar and with proper tires it was better in the snow than an SUV with All Season Tires.
I've had a RWD BMW (e39) 5-series for 18 years now. I'm in New England, & maybe 8-10 years ago I bought 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M3's, & have them put on every winter. They transform the car from almost unusable in even 2-3 inches of snow with the OEM tires, to being very very good in snow. Before that I had a set of Michelin snows for the car, & they were good also.

BTW I owned a '98 Range Rover for about a year, with the stock 18" tires. It was nothing special in the snow, even in 4WD. (I never tried it with snow tires).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:04 AM

6,818 posts, read 6,089,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I've had a RWD BMW (e39) 5-series for 18 years now. I'm in New England, & maybe 8-10 years ago I bought 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M3's, & have them put on every winter. They transform the car from almost unusable in even 2-3 inches of snow with the OEM tires, to being very very good in snow. Before that I had a set of Michelin snows for the car, & they were good also.

BTW I owned a '98 Range Rover for about a year, with the stock 18" tires. It was nothing special in the snow, even in 4WD. (I never tried it with snow tires).
Yep! My wife got a 4Runner when I had my BMW. It came with new all season tires. I figured it didnít need real winter tires. I took it to the mountains once and quickly realized that without winter tires it was worse in the snow than my sports car. I quickly purchased Blizzaks for it after that trip.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:36 PM

91 posts, read 22,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If it were me and I was making a single trip, I actually would not buy new tires. I would just watch the weather and not drive if it was bad. Making a trip through and living here are two totally different things.

Just remember that even if there is no snow, all season tires turn rock hard when itís very cold out. You need to be cautious.
SkyDog, it seems everyone's consensus is that you are the go-to guy for this subject, so I trust you....as well as, don't really want to buy 4 tires at Christmastime! We get black ice in north Texas and I have had to drive on that for 30 years, so I understand how to be cautious. Hopefully everything will be ok! Thank you again.

Old Today, 04:27 PM

91 posts, read 22,098 times
Update:
The day we arrived in GJ was Sunday, when the entire state was dumped with snow. I think we were very impressed with how quickly everything was cleared. We left on Tuesday and the entire state was completely cleared on the highways and side streets, except some icy patches through Glenwood. We ended up renting a vehicle, so no snow tires, no chains, and it was totally fine. Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado