U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM

91 posts, read 22,098 times

Advertisements

Apologies in advance, as I feel like this subject MUST have been posted a million times, but I searched and just not finding what I am looking for.....

Making the DFW/Den/GJ drive on the usual interstates. I have done the diagonal 69/50/550 route many times in summer and fall, but I'm not brave/stupid enough to try it in December and January. I AM brave/stupid enough to try to do it in my 4 cyl sedan with FWD. I read a few independent studies about snow and mountain driving, and the synopsis is that though AWD is prefered, FWD is ok but any drive train must have winter tires...i.e. it is the quality of the tires more so than the drive train that matters.

Finally the question: from experienced Colorado mountain drivers, is there a certain winter or snow tire that is preferable?

Any other suggestions?

Oh, you might wonder WHY am I taking my little sedan without AWD, so here it is: 1) I have 2 teen/early 20's girls and they cannot help me make the long drive if I am in a rental (must be over 25); and 2) I am not sure that the rental companies would provide the right kind of tires for me anyway if I am renting from Texas.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 03:25 PM

20,492 posts, read 38,182,494 times
If you haven't done so already, do read this thread on tires, it has a lot of info.

Most people on here will recommend Blizzak snow tires.

Not sure what a rental car firm will provide, the rental firms at Denver airport will have cars for winter driving but I'd bet they're expensive.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM

232 posts, read 123,942 times
There's a recent discussion on winter tires & driving @ ih8mud.com the first post lists his ranking, w/Nokian first & Blizzak down the line . . . wisdom on many sites says you need FOUR winter tires, not just 2 on the front/driven wheels.

In winter climates, folks run winter tires on one set of wheels; all-season tires on another. There may be a tire dealer in your area that will store your winter/summer tire sets in the off-season. You will need a 2nd set of 4 wheels, steel wheels are fine, & cheaper than fancy wheels that may have come on your car.

Nokian's site lets you look up what size will fit your car:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 A non-studded tire that offers supreme driving comfort and safety

Have fun in Colorado!

Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 PM

1,898 posts, read 1,626,905 times
Marsha, Let me introduce you to our pal Skydog....

Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,089,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Marsha, Let me introduce you to our pal Skydog....

Tires tires tires tires

Old 12-14-2018, 10:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,479,884 times
I drove my ford focus with all season tires for years around Colorado. Carried chains with me, only needed them once.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:29 AM

572 posts, read 250,298 times
Paging SkyDog77.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 AM

AWD Doesn't Matter in the Winter. Tires Do.

Why winter-specific rubber is the most important thing you can buy to make driving in inclement weather safer

The above article tells you just about everything you need to know on the topic.

Blizzak non studded tires are fantastic. I used to drive a RWD BMW M3 sportscar and with proper tires it was better in the snow than an SUV with All Season Tires.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 12-17-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 09:22 AM

91 posts, read 22,098 times
Thanks everyone so much. I read all of these, watched videos, went to the prescribed past discussion and link. If I am remaining on the interstates (287 87, 25, 70) are my regular tires ok? In the sense that, I know they will close the highways completely if it is severe enough, and keep them clear otherwise? So far, it appears the only real snow will be through Vail pass (so far!).

Old 12-17-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Thanks everyone so much. I read all of these, watched videos, went to the prescribed past discussion and link. If I am remaining on the interstates (287 87, 25, 70) are my regular tires ok? In the sense that, I know they will close the highways completely if it is severe enough, and keep them clear otherwise? So far, it appears the only real snow will be through Vail pass (so far!).
If it were me and I was making a single trip, I actually would not buy new tires. I would just watch the weather and not drive if it was bad. Making a trip through and living here are two totally different things.

Just remember that even if there is no snow, all season tires turn rock hard when it’s very cold out. You need to be cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado