U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

59 posts, read 35,447 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I will be going to Telluride, CO for a ski week (Feb 10 to 15, 2019) & will be driving each way from Windsor, CO.
Apple Maps is showing 2 possible routes to take, one following US 50, the other following I-70. It looks like the US 50 route is 10 minutes faster (6 hours 47 minutes) than the I-70 route (6 hours 57 minutes).
Right now, I am tempted to take one route going & returning the other route.
Any thoughts / recommendations?
Thanks
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

20,454 posts, read 38,130,058 times
The curiosity in me would have me try each route, making it truly a 'round' trip. IMO the US-50 route would be a more scenic as you're up close and personal with the land then the interstate highway route which has plenty of its own scenic views.

Snowstorms could make either route an adventure.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Snowstorms could make either route an adventure.
That's true.
My reservations in Telluride are from February 10 to 15, but if it appears as though weather might be a factor, I'd leave for Telluride a day or two earlier & stay somewhere in the vicinity that doesn't charge ski resort rates (Montrose or Grand Junction??). Same thing when it comes to leave on the 15th. If weather is a factor, stay somewhere in Western CO a night or two until it clears up.
Mark

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

544 posts, read 237,709 times
There is no real good way to Telluride, but I would be inclined to take the route involving more of I-70 for a portion of it. There are a lot of 2 lanes out in the boonies that would be terror to drive in a storm.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,615,688 times
Both routes are fine. Crested Butte and Monarch ski resort are on the hwy 50 route, so it's pretty well traveled and maintained. I'd do what Mike suggested and go both ways.

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

102 posts, read 83,320 times
Take I-70. I've driven both many times and would much prefer Eisenhauer to Monarch, as well as the two-lane travel you'll get going on 50 - it gets long and monotonous and the roads can be much icier. Even if it's well-maintained, Monarch is a PITA, and it's way colder that way. I-70 also has way more amenities as in gas stations and places to stop and eat.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,240,148 times
In case you are looking at a map and are wondering what Rockskipper is referring to, the tunnel is "Eisenhower", named after our 34th President.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

544 posts, read 237,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
In case you are looking at a map and are wondering what Rockskipper is referring to, the tunnel is "Eisenhower", named after our 34th President.
Technically it’s the Eisenhower–Edwin C. Johnson Memorial Tunnel.

Old Today, 10:53 AM

Thanks guys.
Any information is appreciated.
Mark

Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Thanks.
I was able to figure that one out...
Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or