U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:17 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,968,445 times

Advertisements

Sargent is a very good district. It is where the successful ranchers of the valley send their kids. My sister graduated from there and I recall at the ceremony, nearly every student walking had at least a couple of scholarships in their pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,090 times
Thanks for the info! My son would prefer to play in a higher division athletically, so Alamosa maybe where we end up. I think we would consider Monte Vista too, but we’ll have to look up what their athletics look like. I guesss the smaller schools have 8 man football, and he wants to play regular football. Our oldest will be a senior next year, so we’ll have to look into that Adams State program. They have that here too in Junction, but I wasn’t sure if they would have it there. I think we’re heading down this weekend to get a better idea of where we want to be. I might have more questions after

Old 01-02-2019, 03:33 PM

2,946 posts, read 816,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzee03 View Post
Thanks for the info! My son would prefer to play in a higher division athletically, so Alamosa maybe where we end up. I think we would consider Monte Vista too, but we’ll have to look up what their athletics look like. I guesss the smaller schools have 8 man football, and he wants to play regular football. Our oldest will be a senior next year, so we’ll have to look into that Adams State program. They have that here too in Junction, but I wasn’t sure if they would have it there. I think we’re heading down this weekend to get a better idea of where we want to be. I might have more questions after
Snow tires will help; chains might be required to get over the mountain passes. We got about 6 inches of snow 2 nights ago, and last night it got down to -28. Probably a few degrees colder tonight. The snow won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 1,090 times
Yeah, we got about 6” of snow too on New Years Eve. My husband has been driving to Gunnison and Crested Butte for work this week, and he says the roads are pretty good. I don’t know how they are from Gunnison to Alamosa, but he does a lot of winter driving, so we should be fine. I’m sure the snow will be there for a while though with those temps. Our snow tends to melt fairly quickly here because we warm up during the day, but we’ve been staying cold here too, and our snow has stuck around.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 AM

24 posts, read 6,940 times
My kids go to school in Monte because my husband works in the district. I don't know about test scores because they opt-out of the tests, however, I have found wonderful teachers (for the most part) who are truly committed to their students. I wouldn't send my kids to Del Norte because of how it is being run. I didn't send my kids to Sargent because it is too white and I like diversity. Alamosa definitely has the most options, in general, because it is the biggest town/city in the area. No matter where you live, you will end up doing a decent part of your shopping there. We live about 45 miles away and I drive there far more often than I would like. It is something you might want to consider. Also, you should know that you can enroll your kids in a different school district than the one you live in. I found out this year that ours is Center. I thought it was Del Norte based on the paperwork when we bought our home. It didn't matter since we enrolled them straight into Monte Vista.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

55 posts, read 39,641 times
Raddo, I grew up in the Four Corners, but in a place not THAT cold. Gallup was cold enough, though.

There's a possibility I could decide to discuss a job there more, and a possibility I could take it. I'm wondering, trying to think back decades, just how expensive winter utility bills are. I'd be looking for rentals, an apartment if available. And, I don't know how much of that is newer and better insulated.

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

2,946 posts, read 816,892 times
Most places here in the valley are pretty well insulated, otherwise it would be too expensive to heat.

The actual cost varies quite a bit, depending on your fuel source and preferences.

For example, I am warm-natured, so I like a cold house, plus my heat is propane. That makes the propane bill quite reasonable.

Old Today, 04:16 PM

55 posts, read 39,641 times
Default Thanks back

Raddo, I know it's a "dry cold" from my childhood years, but I currently live in Texas, where anything up to the upper 90s, even with some humidity, is acceptable, and up to about 104 is at least tolerable. So ... I'm still mulling about following through on the job talk.

As I said on an old thread elsewhere, if the job were in Cortez? Be a lot different. More scenery, close to Durango, and a lot closer to Farmington than Alamosa is to Pueblo. Or Salida. Almost as cold as Alamosa, yes, but less isolated. And a kind of different vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado