U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 311 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I hope you guys can help!! Any comments will be appreciated!

Im a recent graduate with a Finance degree and considering moving to Vail January 2019. I have a permanent job offer in Vail (not seasonal) in accounting. I also have a job offer in Miami as well. I know they're completely different cities but I'm really having a hard time deciding on one. *The Miami position it 10k more than the Vail one a year*

I started applying to Vail because I visited two times last season and completely fell in love. I've always been a nature lover; I typically go hiking or do outdoor activities during the weekend. However, I started having second thoughts primarily because I don't know if it's an intelligent move in my career and personal life to go to a small town. Adding to the confusion is my existential crisis on whether I want to be part of the rat race or not, which I think is more dominant in Miami.

Basically here are my questions to know whether Vail is the right move.

1. Will moving to Vail (small town) limit or expand my professional opportunities in the future? In other words, do you think Vail is a place that offers growth opportunities within the town and/or outside of it if I decide to eventually move.

2. Can you build permanent relationships? After reading a lot of forums it seems like all people in Vail just go for a short amount of time during the year. Also, how is the dating scene for a 23y/o, are there place to meet new people or are there any young professionals?

3. Does it get lonely in the off season? Do people living in Vail feel isolated from society? As the closest major airport is Denver...

4. Will I have savings? The job is around 42k a year; I have a moderate lifestyle. Plan on renting a studio or maybe find a roommate. I usually eat out on the weekends but try to cook in during the week.

5. Any renting options you guys might have heard of. I would like a 6 month lease to start with.

Lifestyle: during the week I work, exercise and read. During the weekends I like do outdoorsy stuff but I also do like to go out on the weekends I don't feel like hiking. Do you think Vail would be a good fit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 06:43 PM

74 posts, read 19,572 times
Well, you are young and in shape, and if you move to Vail and spend a few years there, you will at the least have memories that will last you a lifetime. I do not know about the economics, but I hope the numbers work out for you.

And after you spend a couple of years in Vail, if you wanted something more for your career, why not look at opportunities in Denver?

Last edited by SilverAng; 12-27-2018 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Status: "And now for something completely different." (set 24 days ago)

6,252 posts, read 9,661,887 times
You've really gotta do a careful cost-of-living comparison. Living in a resort town is ridiculously expensive. $42000/year in Vail is like $25000/year in Denver. Given that the salaries are similar, I'd pick Miami. Your money will go a LOT further there.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:48 PM

4,679 posts, read 9,258,540 times
I agree with SilverAng. Do it while you’re young. You can find roommates to help make it affordable. It will be an experience you’ll never forget. (I did the same thing in Steamboat Springs many years ago and glad I did).

Old 12-27-2018, 08:15 PM

3,024 posts, read 6,730,830 times
I live in Vail, actually about 10 minutes away in Eagle-Vail, we've been back for 9 years and love it, we have good neighbors, friends and a core community that has chosen to live here. There are transient people that come for a season or a year and then move on and there are some that fall in love and find a way to stay. I've also lived in Miami, it was fun but too many people, bugs, snakes, traffic, crime......

1. As far as growth there are opportunities in your field, plenty of professional companies from hospitality, real estate, construction, health care, retail, property management and so on.

2. Yes you can build relationships, your age group tends to be here more for the party but I suspect that is not specific to Vail. People are for the most part good here, if your car goes off the road into a ditch, someone will stop to help you.

3. Off season is VACATION, if you stay in town some restaurants and boutiques close but most people continue on with their lives. It's also blissfully free from tourists which means hiking and biking trails are peaceful. We usually leave town for a couple weeks in May and October to travel but you won't be isolated if you don't. Also while DIA is a couple hours away, Eagle has a great regional airport that I always fly out of, sometimes it's a little more expensive but I use points, there is free parking and TSA takes all of 30 seconds so it's worth it for me.

4. Money, that's the hard one. A room in a shared house in averaging $1000-$1200 a month, finding a studio is closer to $1500+. So that 42k will likely necessitate you finding a 2nd job. You can join Eagle County Classifieds on FB and see a lot of the rental postings as well as craigslist for the High Rockies and the Vail Daily has listing too. 6 month leases are harder to come by but you might find someone who is leaving town and needs to sublet. Also Heath Insurance is the highest in the country here so be sure your employer offers good coverage.

Per a report in the paper a couple weeks ago there are over 1600 open jobs in the valley right now, they are hard to fill because of the cost of living. I would counter with your potential employer that you feel the pay scale is too low, the retail job I recently left was $22p/h + commission, East West Hospitality has instituted a starting pay of $15p/h+ so $42k is not great. Feel free to PM me is you want any specifics, it's a small town and some companies have better reputations than others.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:22 AM

1,898 posts, read 1,625,387 times
A couple of thoughts...

- Working/living in a ski town and not working in the industry will give you plenty of time to enjoy the mountains.
- Making it work financially in Vail will likely be just as much of a grind as Miami. The 2nd job will be where you meet a lot of friends.
- If you don't like it you can move to Denver/Boulder. This is a very common move.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:39 AM

608 posts, read 853,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You've really gotta do a careful cost-of-living comparison. Living in a resort town is ridiculously expensive. $42000/year in Vail is like $25000/year in Denver. Given that the salaries are similar, I'd pick Miami. Your money will go a LOT further there.
Couldn't rep you again yet

Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 PM

569 posts, read 249,082 times
Vail itself is an odd town. In season, lots of tourists/traffic/waiting for restaurants. Out of season, lots of empty houses and closed businesses. In both seasons you have an interstate running right through the middle of the valley, 24/7.
Vail may be nice for a vacation of a few days. Not sure I could live there though. Everyone I know that ever lived in a ski town, eventually moves. The only exception is Crested Butte or Telluride. I know some folks that are old like me and never left those towns. I wonder why LOL.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:04 PM

4,155 posts, read 1,629,318 times
elre36 - What about culture and environment? Miami vs. Vail. Do you like warm and humid, or cold and dry? Do you like diversity, or more of a monoculture? Do you like a large town with an international feel, or a smaller one that is isolated? Unless all you do is work inside, surely these factors mean something to you.

P.S. Have you actually visited the two towns, and spent time in each to see what they are like in person?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:34 PM

10,962 posts, read 41,736,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elre36 View Post
[b](snip)
1. Will moving to Vail (small town) limit or expand my professional opportunities in the future? In other words, do you think Vail is a place that offers growth opportunities within the town and/or outside of it if I decide to eventually move.

With so many businesses connected to the hospitality, real estate, construction industry and professional corp's in town, Vail offers a lot of "growth opportunities" for your background. You may connect with one of the national/international companies there and get advancement opportunities up through a corporate ladder, possibly including relocation.

For example, a good friend got several GM jobs at hotels in Vail, and periodically would be transferred to other resort locations. He's now a GM for a major resort in HI, and nearing retirement. His career took him to several major resorts in Europe, the Caribbean, the PNW, New England, back to Vail, and then to HI.

2. Can you build permanent relationships?

Yes, I've had neighbors in Vail who did so.

But I've also known a lot of couples whose marriages failed when they lived in Vail full time.

After reading a lot of forums it seems like all people in Vail just go for a short amount of time during the year.

Many people go there to live the "ski bum" lifestyle. Some only show up for the ski season. There's a lot of service/hospitality industry jobs there which are tailored for the seasonal employment, hence a lot of people go there with a "short term" mindset. You'll quickly be able to spot the difference in attitude between a professional full time career local vs a short timer.

Also, how is the dating scene for a 23y/o, are there place to meet new people or are there any young professionals?

From what I've seen, there's a lot of dating opportunities there.

For example, I had a couple of rental houses there for years which had newly graduated nurses sharing the places. They were career pro's, full-time employees, and had a reasonably good income for the area. Most of them moonlighted during ski season as cocktail waitresses or bartending for the extra cash (tips), which was the marginal difference in being able to afford a fairly new car or similar major expense.

But do be aware that it's a different lifestyle up there in a resort town. As a landlord, I saw a revolving door of those young women in the places. Some stayed for years, others moved on in a year or so. Professional opportunities elsewhere? Relationships? I really don't know.

3. Does it get lonely in the off season?

Not as far as I'm concerned. The "off season" (shoulder months, "mud" season) times are the best to enjoy the area. The crowds are gone, the recreational opportunities are still there.

Do people living in Vail feel isolated from society?

Not as far as I can tell. It's a pretty cosmopolitan group of folk who come through the area. You are just as likely to meet people from all walks of life from all over the world.

I've met more than a few folk who invited me to come visit them in their homelands, and had the opportunity to visit a few in France and England over the years.

There's a cultural base in Vail, with music and art festivals. Nor is it terribly far from Denver's cultural scene.

As the closest major airport is Denver...

Perzactly. Not a big deal to connect with major air carriers to wherever you'd wish to travel.

I can't speak for future airfares, but in the last several years we've been able to get shoulder season airfares DEN-direct to London, Paris, and other destinations for under $300 round-trip direct. Wanna' go to a USA coastal destination? again, major direct flights not terribly expensive.

4. Will I have savings? The job is around 42k a year; I have a moderate lifestyle.

On $42k/year, you'll likely not be saving any money. At least that's my impression from my tenants with incomes in that range. The only way they got ahead was by working second jobs, preferably where they could get tips. Understand that they had a choice … the trade-off of working for that extra income vs heading out to play around. For a lot of them, skiing drew them to Vail, but during ski season proved to be the time that they could earn most of their money.

Plan on renting a studio or maybe find a roommate.

If your work schedule is a routine work week, you might consider living "down valley" where the area bus services will get you to Vail for work without the hassles of using your own transportation. That gets you to the transportation center, and the local circulator buses in town run quite frequently.

The key here is that you won't be living in the heart of the tourist priced town, you'll be living in a more affordable location. It's pretty common to find shared living situations, if that's acceptable to you.
For me, by the time I was 23, shared living was no longer acceptable … too many crazies, too much of my stuff was abused/damaged/stolen. But you may find OK housemates which can greatly reduce your cost of living up there and be compatible.

I usually eat out on the weekends but try to cook in during the week.

I'd reverse that … "cook in" on weekends when the restaurants are their busiest and eat out during the off-busy days when the local's specials are on. You may also find that a lot of the restaurants in the area appreciate the local's business base and offer you non-posted/published substantial discounts. (example: one of my tenants was an ass't GM at a major hotel complex in town, so he was known for sending a lot of business to various restaurants. We'd go together to many of the places in town … and get a 50% discount off the menu prices and a lot of comp'ed stuff from the bar, like a bottle of wine and aperitifs.

5. Any renting options you guys might have heard of. I would like a 6 month lease to start with.

Six month leases are fairly common, because they give landlords and tenants a seasonal time window for their occupancy. Check with the local real estate agencies/rental management companies for their inventory.

While I preferred one-year leases for my long-term tenants (some who stayed 10-15 years), I was thankful as a landlord that I wrote a lot of 6-month leases with some tenants so that we could part company quickly when the lease expired. Some tenants aren't worth the hassles they present.

Lifestyle: during the week I work, exercise and read. During the weekends I like do outdoorsy stuff but I also do like to go out on the weekends I don't feel like hiking. Do you think Vail would be a good fit for me?
Only you can prioritize what's important to you.

Depending upon the income/expenses you encounter and the prospect of taking on a side job (or two, not uncommon), you may find that ski season is your time to really keep the nose to the grindstone and recreation may be secondary. Or maybe you'll do what you have to do to press a season ski pass into service.

During the summer months and shoulder seasons, you may find that's your time window to get outdoors and enjoy the recreational opportunities.

the differences between the two places you've got offers are quite dramatic, they present entirely different lifestyles. Can you live the dreams you have on the larger income in Miami?

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-28-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado