U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 1,212 times

Advertisements

I apologize for a long/rambling post, but any residents of Colorado that are up for giving advice I'd greatly appreciate!

Hi, I have lived in Maine my entire life (34 years and counting) and have developed a few issues that have me looking for other options.

While the benefits of Maine are pretty obvious (almost always around "green and blue" nature, low crime, low housing costs) one of my issues these days is winter depression. From November to March it is dark, cold, snowy, and grey. Not dramatically different from any place in the snow belt, but after 30+ years I now have a bit of anxiety when summer is coming to an end and dread the 5 months of misery that follow (I am not one that enjoys any outdoor winter activities so once the temps drop below 45, the average temp in Maine, I'm indoors almost all day).

Other health issues outside of seasonal depression are now skin related. I have developed a type of eczema as well as had a worsening of my previously typical adult acne. These two are really the push that has me looking at areas of the country with much more sunlight and milder winters as both are "supposed" to be beneficial to these conditions.

With my criteria being abundant amount of sunlight, mild winters but also tolerable summer temps, outdoor activities like hiking and biking, and proximity to urban cores for employment options, I have narrowed my search to the greater Pueblo area (but really liking the idea of Canon City).

Does anyone from that region have any advice on my reasons for moving vs. that region of CO? From what I can tell average housing costs in my area of Maine are almost identical to that area of CO. I am a single person, no kids. My biggest concerns holding me back are the obvious move far away from my family and friends and just losing the comfort of being in the same area my entire life so far. I do also fear that the change in climate may not end up helping my conditions as I would hope, however I won't know unless I try.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,125,386 times
The dry air here may aggravate your eczema, rather than help it.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:22 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,605,748 times
In Pueblo and Canon City the monthly average high reaches 45 degrees every month (though by only a modest amount in 2-3 months and for only a few hours a day)... but 7 months of the year the average low is less than that and you'd be waiting til noon or later to reach 45. If you don't do outdoor stuff you won't face the cold... or get the sunlight.

You might want to consider NM, Texas too. Or possibly a place like Payson AZ too.

Wherever you are if you are not getting outside much, you may need to do supplemental therapy designed indoor lighting, Vitamin D and some sort of indoor exercise to combat the issue if you aren't already doing. Simply moving may not be enough. Social activity is important too for feeling better.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-04-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 PM

4,204 posts, read 1,647,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapdi84 View Post
Hi, I have lived in Maine my entire life (34 years and counting) and have developed a few issues that have me looking for other options.

With my criteria being ... tolerable summer temps...

Does anyone from that region have any advice on my reasons for moving vs. that region of CO? .... My biggest concerns holding me back are the obvious move far away from my family and friends and just losing the comfort of being in the same area my entire life so far. I do also fear that the change in climate may not end up helping my conditions as I would hope, however I won't know unless I try.
One matter to consider - which you did not mention - is culture shock. Maine and CO are completely different areas culturally. People are heavily "pruned and tuned" to where they grow up. Values, interests, and communication between the two locations will become glaringly obvious.

Moving away from family is a killer. Been there, done that. And I don't live as far from my family as you would be. Many from out of state have talked about the difficulty making friends here. So you might find yourself very lonely and alienated.

Summer temps usually reach the 90s, which may or may not be "tolerable" to you. It'd be drier, but still, you might not be used to those temperatures, intense sunlight, and dry baking heat.

So nutrition, lotions, and medication can't help the eczema? Side note: My skin has become much worse since moving to this dry climate. It never got my attention before, but now is a concern. If cloudiness is an issue, maybe find a closer location that is sunnier but still not super dry.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:35 PM

20,513 posts, read 38,220,640 times
For sure Colorado will cure the issues with seasonal mood disorders, lots of sun in Pueblo all year.

The skin issues might be a case of allergy to wheat; I suggest reading a copy of Wheat Belly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 AM

5,103 posts, read 6,840,634 times
My knowledge of Maine culture is limited to North Woods Law, but I do know Pueblo a decent bit and I would second what others are suggesting about you might be in for some culture shock, let alone a geography shock - i.e. terrain/weather/outdoor recreation etc. Have you been for a visit with an eye to move yet? I do think it may meet your surface criteria. One of the biggest differences to prepare for is how dry it is here - think along the lines of a desert climate. That factor seems to be somewhat surprising and a little difficult to adapt to for many people. You might love it in Pueblo, but do be prepared for big change compared to Maine.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:55 PM

744 posts, read 387,114 times
Take everything you read here with a large grain of salt. You get some helpful information, but also a lot of erroneous personal opinion. You ask about Pueblo, and you get told you have wheat belly lol.
You really need to visit. I was surprised the first time I saw Pueblo, and in a negative way. I expected more of a Colorado feel, and the photos of the river front look so inviting. But in person, it seems more like Gallup N.M. (Just my erroneously personal opinion).
Hopefully you will get some input from people that actually live there.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:04 PM

168 posts, read 99,025 times
Northeast to Denver to Pueblo here.

The winters finally got to me, Noreasters with over the knee snow, followed by Arctic blast, not above freezing for weeks. Driving was terrifying, merging into 60 mph traffic when your visibility is limited by mountains of now solid ice. Denver was fun, but the cost of living and traffic are now like New Jersey, so I moved to the Pueblo area. Looked at Springs, but it is also houses 10 feet apart and mobs of traffic and people. It is OK, if you like that.

Some parts of downtown Pueblo look exactly like any old industrial city in the Northeast, but the areas near the college and the west are typical quiet suburbs. Like anywhere, the mayhem is concentrated in the poor part of town. A few miles away the rich people sit in houses with security cameras. The big difference is sunlight. Clouds are rare. Today, January 5, it is 63 in Pueblo. Try to pull that stunt in Maine.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 PM

153 posts, read 270,024 times
Posting to follow, except for the skin condition I could've written that post ( well, sub MN for ME)

Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 PM

13,871 posts, read 21,775,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post

The winters finally got to me, Noreasters with over the knee snow, followed by Arctic blast, not above freezing for weeks. Driving was terrifying, merging into 60 mph traffic when your visibility is limited by mountains of now solid ice. Denver was fun, but the cost of living and traffic are now like New Jersey, so I moved to the Pueblo area. Looked at Springs, but it is also houses 10 feet apart and mobs of traffic and people. It is OK, if you like that.

Some parts of downtown Pueblo look exactly like any old industrial city in the Northeast, but the areas near the college and the west are typical quiet suburbs. Like anywhere, the mayhem is concentrated in the poor part of town. A few miles away the rich people sit in houses with security cameras. The big difference is sunlight. Clouds are rare. Today, January 5, it is 63 in Pueblo. Try to pull that stunt in Maine.
You are weird.

But so am I. I concur with your post.

Quote:

I don't.

Quote:
Pueblo bad neighborhoods are kind of a judo situation with can be solved by going home after dinner. Stay away from the bars along Northern and the lower east side after dinner time.

If you want pretty, head 20 minutes south to Colorado City, Rye, and San Isabel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or