U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 1,485 times

Advertisements

We would rent a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment in the beginning.... yeah rentals are pretty high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 1,485 times
thanks brown_dog_us

why do you say Boulder, Co is not for everyone?

Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 AM

1,847 posts, read 1,117,889 times
Depending on where exactly your job is, either Boulder or Denver would meet your criteria. However, I'm sure you've heard how expensive Denver's gotten to be--Boulder is even moreso. So I guess it all depends on what you can find in your range that meets your desired criteria.

(Personally, I'd love to live in Boulder, but short of a major lottery win, will probably never be able to afford it.)

Old 01-06-2019, 01:25 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,829,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymal View Post
thanks brown_dog_us

Boulder can be very focused in its outdoor activity one-upmanship. There are any number of world class athletes that live in Boulder and any number of people there tend to see uber intensive activity schedules as a measure of succcess. There is also the accusation that Boulder consists of armchair liberals that are very rich, somewhat conservative in their personal views, but are perfectly okay with liberal agendas, so long as low income housing, drug rehab, WIC users, and social assistance is done somewhere else other than our town.

On the flip side its a very creative place, it has a thriving tech sector, and, except for the notations above, is very inclusive, and tends to have a wide range of international residents, although it is still mostly white. They have landed near or at the top of several polls of most livable places.

Other things about Boulder to help gauge its persona; it has a disposable bag fee if you chose to use the bags provided by the grocery store. Plastic straws are next up in the cross hairs. There was a proposal to use DNA to track dog feces back to owners and fine them for not picking it up. Not sure if that was implemented or not. That also brings up the point that dogs are everywhere. It is not required to live in Boulder, like a Suburu Crosstrek or North Face jacket (only partially kidding), but a dog is high up on the recommended accessory list.

I'll assume you have already done the research about the impacts of altitude, overall dryness, lack of greenery, radically unpredictable weather, forest fires, floods, etc about CO in general.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2019 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM

4,318 posts, read 1,687,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Boulder can be very focused in its outdoor activity one-upmanship. There are any number of world class athletes that live in Boulder and any number of people there tend to see uber intensive activity schedules as a measure of success.

I'll assume you have already done the research about the impacts of altitude, overall dryness, lack of greenery, radically unpredictable weather, forest fires, floods, etc about CO in general.
Two very important groups of points above to consider and highlight.

As an occasional visitor to Boulder, the first point is one that comes across strongly. The uber exercise attitude - especially masculine - seems to really stand out. That makes it not really seem like a pro-gay city. Hopefully the OP will see the distinction between gay-acceptable and openly gay. Boulder isn't San Francisco. A good long visit first before moving is highly recommended. It's very easy to read about places online and form specific mental images that might be skewed from reality.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:38 PM

3,014 posts, read 6,319,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Two very important groups of points above to consider and highlight.

As an occasional visitor to Boulder, the first point is one that comes across strongly. The uber exercise attitude - especially masculine - seems to really stand out. That makes it not really seem like a pro-gay city. Hopefully the OP will see the distinction between gay-acceptable and openly gay. Boulder isn't San Francisco. A good long visit first before moving is highly recommended. It's very easy to read about places online and form specific mental images that might be skewed from reality.
I didnít realize intense athletics, masculinity, and gay friendly were mutually exclusive. I know plenty of LGBT cardio junkies in Boulder, and Iíd say that it has a higher concentration and integration LGBT people than the Denver metro as a whole.

OP, as far as acceptance goes, you have nothing to worry about anywhere in the Denver metro or Boulder. Boulder is a college town with a crunchy granola, NPR-listening vibe to it. Broomfield is a suburb with a large office park. No walkable part of Denver would be all that great of a commute to Broomfield except for maybe Berkeley.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM

2,235 posts, read 4,400,036 times
The only plus I can see about Boulder is the commute to Broomfield is probably better than from Denver. You'll be paying at least 1/3 more in rent unless you're talking about the most expensive areas of downtown Denver like Lodo or Rino. Boulder is a SMALL town compared to Denver. I work in Boulder but there is no way I would live there. It is beautiful but I find the constant traffic and the self-absorbed people unbearable. I think you'd like Denver a lot more. You should check out Capitol Hill / Cheesman Park, Uptown, and Lodo.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM

106 posts, read 48,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post

Under "weather", I think hail merits it's own mention !

A few cars in my parking lot at work are still dinged-up pretty bad.
My dentist had a home and secondary buildings' roofs damaged and required extensive repair.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,647,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymal View Post
thanks brown_dog_us

I live in Boulder and love it, but it is 25 sq miles surrounded by reality. It has a weird utopian feel, and like any place that feels like utopia there are plenty of drawbacks in reality. It's one of the most educated cities in the US, so at times you are amazed by the depth of conversation at a party but other times you can't believe the lack of understanding of the common people. It's one of the healthiest/fittest cities in the US, but it also attracts fitness/yoga nuts. The town is incredibly prosperous, and that can be very beneficial to your career but other times it feels like you can't keep your head above the water.

I'd recommend renting in Boulder and seeing if it's right for you. After a year you will either never leave or never want to come back.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 PM

433 posts, read 199,759 times
Boulder is very expensive and less on the urban experience than Denvver. The burbs next to Boulder are expensive too. Boulder is next to the mountains (immediate hiking and out door experiences) and maybe less of a commute to your work. Work commutes in Denver Boulder and Broomfield can be rough any way you look at it. There is a lite rail, Denver -> Broomfiled, research the "B Line" at rtd-denver.com and see if it goes any where you need to be. Denver lite rail to some degree has fallen on tougher times and has become a little expensive but is clean and brand new. Boulder dosnt do public transport.

Boulder and Broomfield you WILL need a car. Denver not so much, maybe possibly you could walk.

all these areas are TOTALLY accepting but the base stereo typing is:
Boulder = X hippy envro type (the not for everyone thingy)
Broomfiled = suburban type and great schools too
Denver = possible urban experience

Denver Cap Hill is the old gay bro area. It is un necessary to live there but good to know. Mostly retired queens there now setup in their mid rise condo. you might like denver neighborhoods; Baker (older houses), Highland(newer houses), Platt Park(blond brick 1960;s single family)... N Denver neighborhoods; Cole, Clayton, Swansea are ok but sometimes transitional. Only a block or two off the dreaded Colfax Av Denver there are functional residential areas. No one neighborhood is all good or bad.

i use zillow.com for my rental needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or