U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM

7,137 posts, read 16,211,309 times

Advertisements

Actually Denver and Boulder are listed at the top of a group of "gay friendly areas" of Colorado. Denver being number 1 and Boulder being number 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:14 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,357,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymal View Post
We like hiking, walking with our dogs, nice restaurants, and theater . We would either live with scenic view, or in proper city where we could walk every where.

Please provide your feedback and appreciate any additional tips?

Many Thanks and Happy New Year!
You could try Boulder but I don't think you are the right type. Gay has nothing to do with it. You didn't mention any extreme sports or uber athletic activities.

The gay issue won't be an issue anywhere in the Denver metro area or Boulder. It is simply a don't care for most folks. They will want to know if you ski or what sports you do, how many 14s you have climbed, where you have kayaked, whether you run the steps at Red Rocks 20 times before mountain biking up Mount Falcon or are a wimp and only do it 10 times etc. More so in Boulder. Boulderites will also want to discuss at length which $300 shoes you wear for running the steps, and what cool accessories you have on your $3K bike for the ride to the top of Mount Falcon. Oh, and don't let on if you have snow tires or not on your all wheel drive vehicle for extreme mountain sport winter driving (even in Denver). Somethings are best kept to yourself. You probably won't fit in or make many friends in Boulder if you can't talk the sports smack talk and have the extreme sports to back it up. Denver you will be fine (Except remember not to mention the tire thing if you aren't up for a rousing debate).

All your likes point to Denver. Highland or Berkeley would be good. It puts you on the west side of I-25 and a north-south commute (to avoid sun glare, yes you really want to avoid this. Boulder to Broomfield puts you with a headache inducing, eye damaging sun glare commute). Berkeley/Highland also has a great urban leafy city feel with lots of restaurants and great access to downtown. If you walk by Dave's house he will probably invite you to drink with him.

You already have the (required) dog accessory so you are half way to fitting in.

You don't say where in Broomfield your new job is. It could be along the 36 corridor so bus service is available. Or it could be near the 470 and I-25 interchange with no public transport right now. With more specifics better suggestions can be made.

Somewhere on here there is a thread complaining that there is no gay scene in Boulder. No problem with acceptance, just no gay scene like they were used to. Might want to search around for it. There may be more than one thread like that. I think the posters generally move to Denver.

Last edited by mic111; 01-08-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 05:55 PM

2,235 posts, read 4,398,609 times
mic1111 summed it up pretty well except he forgot to mention that, if you move to Boulder, you will need to immediately purchase a Subaru Outback, preferably dark green. If that's not your style, a Tesla or Land Rover is acceptable but you will need a "Free Tibet" sticker so that no one thinks you are a rich Republican.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 PM

147 posts, read 87,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymal View Post
Dear Locals:

We are a gay couple in our 40s moving for work to Colorado. We are moving from Charleston, SC (prior to that we lived in Washington DC). I will be working in Broomfield, CO- but would prefer renting first and then buying in near future. We make a decent living and can afford upto $3k-$3.5K in rent.

We are not bar goers.... but do appreciate a diverse community with strong acceptance of our lifestyle. Can you suggest if we should move to Boulder, co or Denver, Co? How is traffic in rush hours from Boulder/Denver to Broomfield?

We like hiking, walking with our dogs, nice restaurants, and theater . We would either live with scenic view, or in proper city where we could walk every where.

Please provide your feedback and appreciate any additional tips?

Many Thanks and Happy New Year!

Anywhere is fine honestly. Boulder would be a choice since you guys can easily afford it. It’s an open minded, fun city. I’d rather live in Arvada or the Highlands and commute myself.

That said, Be prepared to run into lots of people who can’t get over talking about many days they’ve been up skiing or how many marathons/14ers they’ve climbed. It’s exhausting and I’m into those sports. Boulder people are strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or