Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Colorado lawmakers who write the state budget say they have a plan to change how $8.6 billion is distributed for kindergarten through 12th grade, overhauling a system that critics say disproportionately sends state money to wealthy school districts while schools in poorer areas struggle.

If signed into law, voters in wealthy areas with low property tax rates would have to increase their property taxes to keep school funding at current levels. The state money saved would then get redistributed statewide. Poorer districts already paying relatively high property taxes would be among the top beneficiaries.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/0...ding-overhaul/

Lots of food for thought in this article. I'm guessing I am far from the only one who had no idea that the discrepancies were THIS extreme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:52 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Sounds like Obamacare for education.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Lots of food for thought in this article. I'm guessing I am far from the only one who had no idea that the discrepancies were THIS extreme
Wow. Interesting to see that CC and Douglas County are so heavily subsidized compared to some of the poorer districts- that **** needs to change pronto.

Then there's the Boulder and Denver districts actually pulling their weight locally and not being total leaches on the state....

Old 01-07-2019, 01:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I don't understand how some districts, e.g. Dougco, Jeffco, Five Star, Westminster, Mapleton, Brighton, Aurora PS, have high tax rates and still have high rates of state funding.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:55 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't understand how some districts, e.g. Dougco, Jeffco, Five Star, Westminster, Mapleton, Brighton, Aurora PS, have high tax rates and still have high rates of state funding.
I agree, I found that confusing as well. I plan to re-read the article when I'm home tonight to see if I can get a better understanding, maybe seek out some other sources of info

Old 01-08-2019, 04:40 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

I would actually be in favor of that, as I think that CHILDREN have the right to equal food and equal education as any other child. However, once children become adults, I think that discrepancies in standards of living between the poor and wealthy are fine, as I believe that those who have been good, responsible and hardworking citizens are entitled to more of the "good stuff" than those who have refused to work and/or committed felonies.

I have "always" maintained that there would be less hopelessness among the poor and that society in general would benefit if an A- student with low-income parents was able to go to college (funded by the state), while a student with wealthy parents but only a C average was denied a college education. I think it is just as unfair for someone to get a free college education just because they were poor (and/or black or Hispanic) as it is for someone to be able to go to Yale just because his parents were wealthy and alumni. I would love to see a society where advancement is based solely on aptitude and merit.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would actually be in favor of that, as I think that CHILDREN have the right to equal food and equal education as any other child. However, once children become adults, I think that discrepancies in standards of living between the poor and wealthy are fine, as I believe that those who have been good, responsible and hardworking citizens are entitled to more of the "good stuff" than those who have refused to work and/or committed felonies.

I have "always" maintained that there would be less hopelessness among the poor and that society in general would benefit if an A- student with low-income parents was able to go to college (funded by the state), while a student with wealthy parents but only a C average was denied a college education. I think it is just as unfair for someone to get a free college education just because they were poor (and/or black or Hispanic) as it is for someone to be able to go to Yale just because his parents were wealthy and alumni. I would love to see a society where advancement is based solely on aptitude and merit.
Whaaaa??? I too would like to see every good student go to college, with subsidies as needed. We have some of that now, probably not enough.

But I don't go along with denying college to someone because they meet the criteria of "C" average and wealthy parents. Are you saying someone with a "C" average and poor parents should get a state-funded education? Or something else?

Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Whaaaa??? I too would like to see every good student go to college, with subsidies as needed. We have some of that now, probably not enough.

But I don't go along with denying college to someone because they meet the criteria of "C" average and wealthy parents. Are you saying someone with a "C" average and poor parents should get a state-funded education? Or something else?
No. In short, I am saying EQUAL chance of a college education no matter what one's socioeconomic status or ancestry is. But, no, I do NOT think that people with a C average in high school should be allowed to go to a four-year college or university, period -- unless they scored in the top 20% on the SAT's (or whatever).

Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No. In short, I am saying EQUAL chance of a college education no matter what one's socioeconomic status or ancestry is. But, no, I do NOT think that people with a C average in high school should be allowed to go to a four-year college or university, period -- unless they scored in the top 20% on the SAT's (or whatever).
The devil is in the details. How many poor students do you think are attending state-run colleges/universities?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
I used up my quota of free Denver Post articles. Does somebody have a link to the report, by chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado