Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:33 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No. In short, I am saying EQUAL chance of a college education no matter what one's socioeconomic status or ancestry is. But, no, I do NOT think that people with a C average in high school should be allowed to go to a four-year college or university, period -- unless they scored in the top 20% on the SAT's (or whatever).
Poor kids get into college all the time, and then they get financial aid. Including Yale and all the other Ivies which do need blind admissions, so the admissions office doesn't even know whether the applicant will need aid or not. And once someone is admitted, they are committed to giving them enough aid to make it work. I can speak for experience on that one - my Ivy college was happy to increase my financial aid package when my mom and I made an appointment and went in and explained why I needed more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 12:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No. In short, I am saying EQUAL chance of a college education no matter what one's socioeconomic status or ancestry is. But, no, I do NOT think that people with a C average in high school should be allowed to go to a four-year college or university, period -- unless they scored in the top 20% on the SAT's (or whatever).
Should not be *allowed* to attend?

So who do you think should be the arbiter of who gets to attend college? The State?

Wow.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:31 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Should not be *allowed* to attend?

So who do you think should be the arbiter of who gets to attend college? The State?

Wow.
Why anyone would go to college is one of lifes great mysteries-

Plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics etc... make MUCH more than philosophers!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:39 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

yeah, and it's not like we need doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, scientists, engineers and all the many other people working in fields where a college education is needed.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

Statements like that always make me happy I bookmarked this: https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unempl...-education.htm To break it down, more education = higher pay and lower unemployment. Sure, there are outliers, but not nearly so many as the people who believe the above tend to think.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
I heard Hick the other day on CPR say that about 70% of people never attend college and that has remained pretty consistent, but at the same time we have eliminated most of the trade skills classes in HS. Thus you have what we have today: a shortage of plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics....

Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:

This is a bit of a myth. I come from a family of electricians. Yes, there are times when there is living wage money to be had. But there are other times when you sit on the books without work for months or even years, or have to travel to other states or work nights to find any work. And 'good money' is relative - a seasoned union electrician might earn enough to keep a family of four off of welfare on a single income. Is that good? Yes. Great bank? No, not really. And many of the jobs in these fields are minimum wage or close, as well - not all of them earn the 'living wage' or 'good money'. We certainly need trades and it is possible to earn a good living in a trade, and certainly college is not the only path to a good living. But don't go to the other extreme - trades aren't a sure path to big bucks either.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I heard Hick the other day on CPR say that about 70% of people never attend college and that has remained pretty consistent, but at the same time we have eliminated most of the trade skills classes in HS. Thus you have what we have today: a shortage of plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics....
What does Hick know about it? From 2009-2016, college attendance for CO students has been from 55.3% to 58.8%. https://highered.colorado.gov/Public...el20180302.pdf (See p. 6)

Do you or Hick have any documentation of this shortage of plumbers, electricians and auto mechanics?

Old 01-09-2019, 02:38 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What does Hick know about it? From 2009-2016, college attendance for CO students has been from 55.3% to 58.8%. https://highered.colorado.gov/Public...el20180302.pdf (See p. 6)

Do you or Hick have any documentation of this shortage of plumbers, electricians and auto mechanics?
Sorry maybe I got my stats wrong and he said around 60%. I thought he said around 70%. But his point was schools have set their sights on educating students for college, yet the numbers stay consistent on how many actually attend, at the same time trade education has been removed from the schools. You can listen to the podcast at CPR. It was just from the other day.

As far as how do I know there is a shortage? We are trying to build a home and heard about the shortage from every builder we talked to.
I also know someone who does fix and flips. Says he can't find enough trades.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:

Not everyone's talent or interest lies in that type of work. I say the same to those who claim everyone should aspire to college. It takes all kinds.

I am more concerned with the idea that Big Brother hovers and determines who is *allowed* to attend college in an "across the board" cutoff. That's just odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado