U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 AM

758 posts, read 446,028 times

Advertisements

Hi all, so I have a CB500x that I do easy trails with and a dirtbike for the more "offroad technical" stuff. Issue is, I have 17in wheels front and back. I can offroad no problem but just need to be on trails that 17in wheels can handle. Do you guys have any recommendations on some nice passes a stock adventure bike can handle? I know most are probably snowed in, but would like to set some plans in the near future. I mean I can do rampart range road, Mt herman, etc

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 09:02 PM

57 posts, read 15,366 times
Lots of fun passes in the Mineral Belt. They just paved Cottonwood pass outside of Buena Vista and it will be open next spring. You can ride up from BV then loop around Hancock/TinCup and down into Chalk Creek drainage (nice rest stop at Mt Princeton hot springs) and out to Nathrop.

Hagerman pass is pretty easy west of Leadville. You end up in the Frying Pan and then out into Basalt.

East of Leadville, Mosquito Pass is a bit more rocky with lots of switchbacks. Lots of historical mining structures.

Heading up Trout Creek pass out of BV, take a right (south) when you get to Chubb park, pick up forest road 187 thru Castle Rock Gulch, Bassam Park, and Aspen Ridge before you drop into Salida. Easy to get lost back there because of all the roads/trails so make sure you have a good map.

I wouldn’t do Monarch Pass trail on a dual sport adventure bike-too technical. I’ve done the above rides on a KLR650. Fun rides.

Also rode Weston Pass from the Leadville side but it was so long ago, all I remember was that there were a lot of flooded parts of the gravel road due to beaver dams. Nice ride, you come out near FairPlay. Good luck. Ride safe.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:24 AM

758 posts, read 446,028 times
thanks for this!! I think in this area ill bring my drz400. seems I can find a parking somewhere and ventureoff on the drz

Old Today, 07:58 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,478,946 times
Rampart Range has a lot of good stuff you can connect into. You think you've done it, then there's whole trail systems you didn't know about.

Going around Pikes peak on old stage is a must. There's a lot of offshoot trails there as well and while it's kinda rocky, you can drive almost all the way to the top of Alamagre mountain, a 13er. There's a lot around Canon City as well. You have to drive Skyline drive in Canon City cause it's fun to drive on the top of a knife ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or