U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 AM

178 posts, read 101,955 times

Advertisements

Moved to PW in 2016, that is my arbitrary starting point. Just my first draft, did I miss anyone, is this ratio normal? Ask this because NJ has 20 drownings per year with 127 miles of North Atlantic frontage. Long Island the same. Move to the desert and read about people drowning.

Jet ski crash
Jet ski drifted off, let’s swim out and get it
Drowning in swim pond
Fort Carson 80-foot cliff dive
Two people went fishing in a boat
Went for a dropped fishing pole
Drove off 17-foot cliff at night

Last edited by CatPeople; 01-18-2019 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 AM

2,840 posts, read 1,826,316 times
IMO, there is much more emphasis on water safety in places where there are large bodies of water that are easily and regularly accessible. It becomes a back of the mind thing to avoid putting ones self at risk.

My kids have told how surprised they are about how many of their peers, in Cos, do not have more swimming capability than a dog paddle and thrashing about. Pueblo is a very blue collar city where many schools are struggling and there may not be any emphasis on this education for many and probably hasn't been for decades.

Is your count accurate, heck, I dunno. I'd bet you are probably missing a few, if anything.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM

4,550 posts, read 2,304,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
IMO, there is much more emphasis on water safety in places where there are large bodies of water that are easily and regularly accessible. It becomes a back of the mind thing to avoid putting ones self at risk.

My kids have told how surprised they are about how many of their peers, in Cos, do not have more swimming capability than a dog paddle and thrashing about. Pueblo is a very blue collar city where many schools are struggling and there may not be any emphasis on this education for many and probably hasn't been for decades.

Is your count accurate, heck, I dunno. I'd bet you are probably missing a few, if anything.
Agree. When I moved to CO from MA, I could not believe how many adults did not know how to swim. A couple of the people had been born elsewhere, but those were also inland states.

Add to that the fact that many people visit Pueblo Reservoir to BUI, SUI (ski UI), dive UI, and just plain anything-UI.

You might already have noticed another thing: The rules about who yields to who are frequently ignored, in some cases probably due to ignorANCE.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:11 PM

13,515 posts, read 19,286,852 times
The real question is: what are doing to INCREASE the body count?
If it is not a record, then why would anyone care?
I expect action and not mere data compilation.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:47 PM

4,550 posts, read 2,304,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The real question is: what are doing to INCREASE the body count?
If it is not a record, then why would anyone care?
I expect action and not mere data compilation.
Let Darwinism winnow the unwashed masses?

Old 01-19-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post

Respect for water, grew up with it. Got more than one mouthful of sand from only 4-foot waves. At Gateway one day there were black flags. Storm 300 miles away and waves were still 10-ft. Sandy 13-foot storm surge went past there into New York Harbor.

East coast, the recreational fatalities were almost all drowning. A few falling off cliffs(before selfies) and an extremely rare bear attack.

Here it seems the activity has expanded to include ski crashes, avalanches, rock slides, mud slides, rafting.

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

23,502 posts, read 22,491,603 times
I'm surprised that there aren't more deaths in New Jersey because of all of the tourists. While the ocean beaches have excellent lifeguards, there are plenty of other ways to get hurt or drown. People dismiss flags, signs, and warnings. They rent surf boards, boats, and jet skis that they have no idea how to properly or safely use.

It's really no different in any recreational area or state.

Old Today, 07:56 AM

Bear Mt., NY. Nice place, no swimming allowed in the tiny lake, but this does not stop.

Second Drowning In Less Than 2 Weeks At Bear Mountain State Park

https://www.reddit.com/r/CampingandH...bear_mountain/

Edit: Nice place. Not exaggerating. Bikers hang out at the top. Spanish-speakers picnic by the lake. Golden-haired people with back packs wandering around. All good.

Last edited by CatPeople; Today at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado