U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:55 PM

116 posts, read 207,840 times

Advertisements

Hello! My wife and I are in the early phases of discussing moving somewhere else. We currently live in the Raleigh, nc area and love it, but are looking for a change of scenery. We absolutely love the mountains, but with me being in software engineering, I would like to be in a populated area with a healthy tech industry. We have not really visited Colorado at all, but from what I have heard, Denver and Colorado Springs both have good tech industries. Not sure if this is possible, but ideally we want a place where we can have our mountain house on a little bit of land that is not too far away from tech jobs. I was looking up the current Denver housing market and it looks like prices have gone up a lot and we would have to live a little further out to get what we want. Would Colorado Springs be a better area? Or is there somewhere in the Denver area worth looking into?

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 01:26 PM

20,572 posts, read 38,347,804 times
IMO the best tech is Boulder and Denver with COLO SPGS bringing up the rear end with plenty of military tech.

Do spend some time reading in the Boulder and Denver forums; use our search tool to zero in on tech topics.

Boulder is horribly expensive, Denver is getting that way, but there's a lot to pick from.

Plenty of nursing jobs in the region.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO the best tech is Boulder and Denver with COLO SPGS bringing up the rear end with plenty of military tech.

Do spend some time reading in the Boulder and Denver forums; use our search tool to zero in on tech topics.

Boulder is horribly expensive, Denver is getting that way, but there's a lot to pick from.

Plenty of nursing jobs in the region.
Thanks for the info! Will look into those forums.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 9 days ago)

13,578 posts, read 19,367,725 times
Draw a line between Denver and Boulder.
Live somewhere along that line (more of less).
My daughter does.
A house for $365K along that line https://www.redfin.com/CO/Arvada/104.../home/34336139

Forget Colorado Springs. It is not a software development hotbed and the nursing opportunities are limited.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:15 PM

6,305 posts, read 9,759,792 times
Since you've never been to the Front Range, read this blog I put together. It's brief and Denver-centric, but as others have pointed out Denver/Boulder is where most of the tech jobs are. Denver's your best bet. The Springs is a distant second for tech jobs, and Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley is an even more-distant third.

I've also got an album with a handful of random hiking/walking pics I've taken over the last 4-5 years here.

Denver has several areas with pockets of software engineering jobs, but the big 4 are the US-36 corridor from Louisville into Boulder, Downtown Denver, the Denver Tech Center, and the Federal Center complex in Lakewood. What's your dev background?

How much are you looking to spend for a house? Mountain land is generally prohibitively expensive, and depending on where you and your spouse get jobs the commute could suck. Additionally, I fully expect the cost of insuring foothills/mountain homes to skyrocket in the coming years due to mounting wildfire losses. Do you have kids? Will you need school district recommendations?

Old 01-20-2019, 04:43 PM

605 posts, read 275,826 times
Posts like this concern me. They fall under the heading of “I’ve never been there, but heard it’s nice.”
You really should spend at least a little time here. The West is very different than the Carolinas. Weather, food, traffic, lifestyle, scenery. It may be for you or it may not.
I have relatives in the Carolinas and before I ever visited I was told “it’s nice”. Upon visiting I found Charlotte pretty boring, Raleigh didn’t really have a lot of there, there. Chapel Hill was sort of fun, but I really liked Greenville, SC. It seemed to have the vibrancy the others lacked.
My point being, what you hear from others is based on their values and desires, that may not be the same as yours.
Come visit and see things first hand. Then decide if you want to move here.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:14 PM

769 posts, read 401,929 times
Come visit. Prioritize where you want to live and job search.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Since you've never been to the Front Range, read this blog I put together. It's brief and Denver-centric, but as others have pointed out Denver/Boulder is where most of the tech jobs are. Denver's your best bet. The Springs is a distant second for tech jobs, and Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley is an even more-distant third.

I've also got an album with a handful of random hiking/walking pics I've taken over the last 4-5 years here.
Thanks for the info! Looks like there is a decent number of trees in your pictures. Are those more west? How far west do you have to go to get to more vegetation and higher elevation? Both my wife and I lived in the blue ridge mountains for 4 years while attending college and fell in love. The elevation of that area was around 3,300 ft and got a decent amount of snow. Looks like Denver is around 5,000 ft. One of the things we do love about the blue ridge mountains is the greenery and waterfalls, so would probably want to live in the greener part of the area.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Posts like this concern me. They fall under the heading of ďIíve never been there, but heard itís nice.Ē
You really should spend at least a little time here. The West is very different than the Carolinas. Weather, food, traffic, lifestyle, scenery. It may be for you or it may not.
I have relatives in the Carolinas and before I ever visited I was told ďitís niceĒ. Upon visiting I found Charlotte pretty boring, Raleigh didnít really have a lot of there, there. Chapel Hill was sort of fun, but I really liked Greenville, SC. It seemed to have the vibrancy the others lacked.
My point being, what you hear from others is based on their values and desires, that may not be the same as yours.
Come visit and see things first hand. Then decide if you want to move here.
Throughout my life, I have visited almost every state in the county. I have actually briefly visited Denver. I flew in and drove north to Casper, Wyoming. Spent the night in a hotel in Denver during that trip. I donít really consider this visiting though and would want to make a proper trip. We have had several places on our radar and have been visiting them to get a feel for what we like. We just donít have the time and money to visit every corner of America. For me personally, forums like these give outsiders a good look at the area from real everyday people who may have already done what we are looking to do.

With that said, Denver is on our radar and we do plan to visit before making that decision.

When did you visit Raleigh? I personally agree about Charlotte. I am not a fan. Raleigh is more family oriented. I think itís an awesome place to live, but would not be a place I would visit on vacation. So, I could see how someone just visiting could get that impression.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM

605 posts, read 275,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk87 View Post
Throughout my life, I have visited almost every state in the county. I have actually briefly visited Denver. I flew in and drove north to Casper, Wyoming. Spent the night in a hotel in Denver during that trip. I don’t really consider this visiting though and would want to make a proper trip. We have had several places on our radar and have been visiting them to get a feel for what we like. We just don’t have the time and money to visit every corner of America. For me personally, forums like these give outsiders a good look at the area from real everyday people who may have already done what we are looking to do.

With that said, Denver is on our radar and we do plan to visit before making that decision.

When did you visit Raleigh? I personally agree about Charlotte. I am not a fan. Raleigh is more family oriented. I think it’s an awesome place to live, but would not be a place I would visit on vacation. So, I could see how someone just visiting could get that impression.
All my Carolina visits have been over the last ten years or so. The most recent was about a year ago.
I didn't think Raleigh was bad in anyway, just not a place my wife and I would find exciting. The downtown seemed like it needed a few more interesting things to do. The neighborhoods all looked family friendly. My brother in law lived there for years and liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado